PDA

View Full Version : Weeding gardens

dakota2000
07-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi,

I have a few customers that are asking to weed there gardens and I'm not quite sure what to charge for this service. Basically I'd have to drive there, bring hand tools whatever is needed and do the work. What do you guys normally charge for this. I was thinking around $25/hr. Would be just me.
Let me know!

Thanks guys!!

thesargent
07-03-2007, 12:00 PM
that means if you busted your butt for eight hours in the dirt on your hands and knees you would get 200 bucks, is that worth it to you? i dont know about you but i can barely scrape by on 200 a day, you have taxes, insurance, gas, etc. dont tell them your hourly rate, look at the job and tell the how much it will cost them to have it done.

Mountain Peak
07-03-2007, 12:39 PM
man, don't sell yourself short. I charge 80 to 90 an hour for weeding. I hate to weed, the customer really hates to weed or the weeds would already be pulled. Therefore, you are doing something that the customer hates to do and should be able to charge a premium.
Now, with my 80 to 90 an hour I have at least two guys, usually three doing the work.

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
man, don't sell yourself short. I charge 80 to 90 an hour for weeding. I hate to weed, the customer really hates to weed or the weeds would already be pulled. Therefore, you are doing something that the customer hates to do and should be able to charge a premium.
Now, with my 80 to 90 an hour I have at least two guys, usually three doing the work.
Is that per man hour you are charging?

dakota2000
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Ok, so typically in my area I am charging $50/hr for landscaping jobs etc.
How many guys would I need weeding to cover this. Obviously more people means less hours charged to the customer. I have two helpers available when I need them.

In the past when I told customer $50/hr they just were not interested for small jobs such as weeding. One other thing I wanted to know was if there should be a minimum charge? Let me know! Thanks for the advice so far.

stevenf
07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Some women got me to trim a few bushes and pull some weeds and I said $175.00.. It ended up taking 5 hours to do it.
Your going to hate learning from your own mistakes! I do.

terrapro
07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
this is primarily what i do do. i like to call it landscape maintenance. i take care of all the weeding, shrub and perennial care, mulch install, leaf cleanup...whatever just no mowing. my minimum is $45 per hr per man

i will also do minor landscape renovations and have a designer on staff

GreenT
07-03-2007, 08:43 PM
By yourself, $50/hour should be an absolute minimum. It's dirty, hot, nasty work that nobody wants to do.

Remember it will always take longer than you think, specially in the heat so start as early as you can. It will make a huge difference.

Do not quote your hourly rate, some people will think you are a ripoff because they don't think the way we do. Take the opportunity to try to sign them up for regular service including regular weeding, for a premium.

In the end it will be cheaper to them and more profitable for you. Also, if you play your cards right you shoul be able to convince them into applying mulch to better control the weeds.

Let's see, $50/hour, possible high profit mulch job, possible new regular customer. Don't you feel better now? :waving:

Novaowner
07-04-2007, 09:48 AM
By yourself, $50/hour should be an absolute minimum. It's dirty, hot, nasty work that nobody wants to do.

Remember it will always take longer than you think, specially in the heat so start as early as you can. It will make a huge difference.

Do not quote your hourly rate, some people will think you are a ripoff because they don't think the way we do. Take the opportunity to try to sign them up for regular service including regular weeding, for a premium.

In the end it will be cheaper to them and more profitable for you. Also, if you play your cards right you shoul be able to convince them into applying mulch to better control the weeds.

Let's see, $50/hour, possible high profit mulch job, possible new regular customer. Don't you feel better now? :waving:

Well I messed myself over. I did a huge weeding job yesterday and charged them $30 an hour. It was hard work and I started around 6 am. I thought what I was charging was a little low but didn't know for sure. I also trimmed up some hedges for them too in that time period for the same charge. I'll have to do a little adjusting on the prices.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
This is why I stay away from weeding gardens. Too much time involved, not enough money, and it's actually "work." I'd rather stick to mowing 75 lawns with the occasional hedge trim, leaf clean-up until I find some employees that want to get on their hands/knees and pull weeds. I think old people like to do that, but I wouldn't feel right asking them to come work for me!

desii
07-04-2007, 12:31 PM

So, with three men, you are actually back to around $25 - $30 per man hour....:confused:

I agree with not quoting "per man hour" prices.

I would also suggest that you look at it from the stand point of "value" of the end result, not the "cost" of doing the work, thereby quoting a set price as opposed to per hour pricing. JMO.

Runner
07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Anyone charging 25 per hour for their own labor might as well be working at McDonalds. They would be making more. You can't even charge that for EMPLOYEES and make anything... Let alone, yourself.

fiveoboy01
07-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Hmm, interesting...

I charge 35/man hour for hand weeding, figuring that the low overhead(no power equipment) makes it ok to do so. Though I do not charge hourly, I estimate time and give a total price. Usually I'm right on, I'd say 50% of the time I hit close to 40.00/man hour. I automatically add a 65.00 haul/dump fee to every quote for getting rid of the debris.

Should I be charging more?

ed2hess
07-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Very interesting charges for doing simple weeding and bush work sounds like a person might ought to specialize in that work up north. Can't image someone paying $50 per hours for weeding beds:hammerhead: And I don't understand why working at McDonalds is better than getting $25 per hour.......only $7.5/hr at ours?

Runner
07-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Because it is like this. You charge Mr. Smith 25 an hour to pull weeds. You have say 20 minutes getting there and out of the truck....You have .7 hours into it windshield time both ways. Let's add .3 to get rid of them. Let's give you .2 to cover the administrative portion - sales, billing/collection, and deposit. So now, we have 2 hours of weed pulling at 50 bucks, and we have 3.2 hours involved in it. Let's be realistic here, and not "round to our advantage". So, 50 bucks divided by 3.2 = $15.62 per hour. Now,...wait..we just remembered....it costed us 6 bucks in gas (20 minutes x 2 = 40 minutes. At about 45 mph, 2/3 of an hour gets us 30 miles. At 15 mpg, we used 2 gal. @ 3.00 per gal.).
So now, we have made 12.62 per hour. Cool! Oh, wait......we just remembered....IRS and state gets about 1/3 of this....(this is already net, not gross....we already took out our direct costs (didn't even inCLUDE our indirect costs). How much do we have? How much did the business make? How much did WE make? I somehow don't see a great retirement and medical plan happening.

fiveoboy01
07-05-2007, 12:57 AM
That has me puzzled as well...

25/hr is WAY too low if you're using any power equipment because your costs are much higher especially if you're talking about mowing with a 6K walk-behind or a 10K Z.

But there's very little overhead weeding beds, if you want to count my wheelbarrow, 5-gallon buckets and a few rakes and garden hoes.... Plus the truck costs... I'd think that at the 35-40/hr I'm getting, that comes out pretty decent but I'm open to rebuttals on that fact.

I realize it's sucky work, but it really doesn't bother me. It's just pulling weeds, lol. And anyhow, a bed weeding precedes a mulch install most of the time, so there's more money to be made there.

fiveoboy01
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Ah, simultaneous posts...

Ok Joe, I see your point, and that's a real good explanation.

In your opinion, is 35-40 more acceptable or are we still talking too low?

Runner
07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
That is closer to what you have to have to make anything. The same thing with labor. You should be doing alright in that area, and it is competitive.

Many people on here don't have a clue what REALLY needs to charged to make ANYthing on labor, and sadly, many of them think they are making money. The reason being, is that insurances aren't being paid, taxes aren't being paid, and proper labor fees aren't being paid (i.e. taxes, s.s., workman's comp, etc.). Oh sure,...many claim to, but let's face it...if this really were the case, they would know that no money is being made, and they would bail even faster than thy do. This is why so many "businesses do so well for the 4 or 5 year they are in business, then all of a sudden "disappear".
You can ask ANY successful business, and can rest assured that they charge no less than 30-35 per man hour for labor. This is then made up in the numbers. Now, for a solo, hang it up,....because "it ain't happening". This goes to explain that to grow a business, you can NOT make any money carrying a string trimmer....nor can you make any money running a mower. When you reach a certain size,...there is a rule in business. That is that you never spend time doing anything or any sort of task that you could be paying someone else to do. YOU need to be busy doing something that no one else can do....running the business - as a business. take my word for it when I tell you that Donald Trump does not stand down in the lobby of any of his hotels and check people into the rooms. He doesn't even carry up their luggage. Come to think of it,...I've never seen him in one of the kitchens, either.

sancho_man_orlando
07-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Don't forget all your other costs...

Did you factor in marketing budget the money or TIME spent in order to find the job? Flyers, Ads, etc.

How about the cell phone to answer the call?

Or the insurance to drive your automobile over there?

How about the business insurance you should have even on a weeding job.

How about the gloves you wear?

Or the bags you put them into?

Know all your costs.

Runner
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Exactly....the indirect costs weren't even mentioned,...as I said in one of the above posts. And you brought up some great examples of other direct costs (and indirect) as well. A fraction of your electric bill, as well as several other things have to be considered. Let's face it....these bills exist,...and we use a portion of them for the business. Thank you for bringing those up.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I think what JOE is trying to say is that you need to know all of your indirect and direct cost to run your business. Our company needs to make $50 bucks per man hour thats what i want ! When you factor in workmens comp and what you are paying your employee an hour,you can then figure out how much this guy is worth in a day. So if your a solo operator 25-30 bucks is way to low to pull weeds.

GreenT
07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
As I said....

By yourself, $50/hour should be an absolute minimum.

:)