PDA

View Full Version : Best way to secure trailer and mowers

green-pa
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
What's the best way to secure your trailer and your mower/s? what do they have to keep your trailer locked onto your truck and could I just use a thick chain and lock to keep my 36wb secure while I'm using the 21?

charmill26
07-03-2007, 03:43 PM
theres a hole on the coupler thing for the trailer where a padlock can fit. a chain and padlock would work i suppose. i guess i've gotten too relaxed and dont lock up my mowers when im not using them other than taking the keys out. im more worried about my 2 cycles as they are easier to just grab and run

green-pa
07-03-2007, 04:25 PM
theres a hole on the coupler thing for the trailer where a padlock can fit. a chain and padlock would work i suppose. i guess i've gotten too relaxed and dont lock up my mowers when im not using them other than taking the keys out. im more worried about my 2 cycles as they are easier to just grab and run

Yeah, I hear ya. I had a nice blower stolen earlier. So I take my 2 cycle stuff to the back. So is it pretty rare that someone would actually attempt to steal a trailer and/or mower off the back of it?

Supper Grassy
07-03-2007, 04:31 PM
green PICTURES!!!!!!!

i would use a padlock and a cable(see link)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=33869-382-65DCCSEN&lpage=none

and for trailer to truck use padlock through hole on coupler

Jay Ray
07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
someone on LS mentioned that they welded brackets to the gate and the rails so they could padlock the gate up. Not a bad idea. I was thinking about it but got busy and forgot about doing it.

I worry about some idiot trying to take my 48 wb, not knowing how to get it off the trailer, getting run over by it, and suing me.

green-pa
07-03-2007, 10:21 PM
green PICTURES!!!!!!!

i would use a padlock and a cable(see link)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=33869-382-65DCCSEN&lpage=none

and for trailer to truck use padlock through hole on coupler

Sorry. I'm really down with this poison Ivy; face is swollen and feels like the skin is about to swell over my eyes :(. Plus when I got home from working my gf and I got into it and I completely forgot about pics, I just put everything up and have the mower and trailer seperate, but I'll get em on here.

Supper Grassy
07-03-2007, 10:27 PM
go to doc, u need some meds so u dont end up in the ER

Tom c.
07-04-2007, 09:06 AM
I drilled holes and put eyebolts in various spots of the trailer. I got two in the front upright angle iron to tie down my 36in wb with a ratcheting tie down. Then you can put them in other spots depending on what type of equipment you have.

Darrin A.
07-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Try cable locks for your trailer gate. There would have to be a couple of people to take it off without using the gate and that would look funny to passers by. Maybe they would stop or call PD.

green-pa
07-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Well, here are the pics of my new Scag and used trailer and truck. I'm down with this poisoin ivy real bad but I'm hoping it's on it's way out. I have small hands and the grips for the scag's left and right breaks are at the very end of my finger tips so it takes a lot of strain to control it. Is there anyway to shorten the distance between the handle and the left and right break levers?
It does give a great cut and is fast but turn arounds and backing up is a b*&)
since my hands are so small.

Supper Grassy
07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
very nice green pa you deserve it after all the posts and critisim from fellow members. you finally have Pro Mower

I know you mentioned this but what size trailer is it?

KS_Grasscutter
07-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Not sure how I would like driving with the push mower handle hanging over the side that far...

Vikings
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
I got one of these cinch lock and really like it a lot, I use it for the gas cans. I'm going to buy another to cinch up the wb to the front of the trailer but for now I'm using a little piece of rope and the parking brake.

These cinch locks do as exactly what they are names, you put the cord in the lock and pull it tight, then lock it.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=948093&Ntt=948093&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=51%204294966623&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

wooley99
07-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Awesome! Congrats.

green-pa
07-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys! It's good to know that some folks are cool on here.

Midwest Lawn Services
07-06-2007, 12:43 AM
I use 20k lb break strength ratchet straps. Same straps we use around here to tie down round bales. Its overkill but I never worry about loosing things. We have lots of traveling involved... interstate, two lane highways, and Minnesota roads SUCK A$$! My equipment has hours on it, but I can't afford to have them fall off the trailer!!!!

green-pa
07-06-2007, 03:22 AM
I use 20k lb break strength ratchet straps. Same straps we use around here to tie down round bales. Its overkill but I never worry about loosing things. We have lots of traveling involved... interstate, two lane highways, and Minnesota roads SUCK A$$! My equipment has hours on it, but I can't afford to have them fall off the trailer!!!!

What about the non ratchet style straps that u pull and tighten manually? They sem to work better for me so far. The ratchet kind kept getting hooked onto the closing lock thing and then it was hard to loosen or get byond that hole in the strap, but then maybe I was doint it wrong.

IA_James
07-06-2007, 01:21 PM
What about the non ratchet style straps that u pull and tighten manually? They sem to work better for me so far. The ratchet kind kept getting hooked onto the closing lock thing and then it was hard to loosen or get byond that hole in the strap, but then maybe I was doint it wrong.

They suck, the ratchet set up will take a little longer, but is much more secure. Even a medium size bump, or moderately quick stop, will knock my mower loose unless I double the straps up. I plan on upgrading to a ratchet strap over one wheel, and one over the deck and casters, in the very near future.

avjohnson
07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I love my Scag, I'm sure you will too! (Not sure how to shorten the hand controls)

charmill26
07-06-2007, 04:14 PM
if its a belt i think that there is a way to. i believe you adjust those nuts that are threaded on the rod that is connected to the handles. i think the manual will say

doctordun
08-24-2007, 09:39 PM
How do you folks secure your "trailer" from being stolen overnight.
Assuming you have removed your tools and mowers, how do you keep your trailer from theft, when it is disconnected from your truck and parked somewhere?

Jusmowin
08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
I always park my truck in front of my trailer or If I go on vacation ill flaten one of my tires, it only has 2. I figure if they break into my truck and move it to steal my trailer w/ 1 flat tire they will have a hell of a time getting it down the road like that, sounds crazy but it works and a theif most likely will move on to a easier target:rolleyes: As for equipment being secured on the trailer I us HD ratchet staps.

Americal Vet
08-24-2007, 11:24 PM
How do you folks secure your "trailer" from being stolen overnight.
Assuming you have removed your tools and mowers, how do you keep your trailer from theft, when it is disconnected from your truck and parked somewhere?

On the latch / ball clamp is a hole in which you can place a lock. If your wheels are slotted, you can also run a cable or chain through that and secure to trailer. Or on the extreme side, just shoot any bastard that tries to steal it.

Dunn's
08-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Also for handhelds the best way to secure them is get locking toneau covers on all your trucks and if you or one of your crews all go into the backyard. Lock the toneau cover. Also put an alarm with ignition kill on all trucks. Even if they are old. our 84 dodge even has an alarm. Trust me they will steal anything