PDA

View Full Version : need to proove a point

mike lane lawn care
07-03-2007, 04:22 PM
ok, so i need to proove a point to one of my friends. what do you guys think will happen to a midsize pickup truck with a front axle housing(front diff basicaly) that is cracked and leaking fluid out, after driving 3 hours at highway speed, then 3 hours back? also, the housing at the time of the trip departure would have only, 1/4 of the fluid in it that it is supposed to have.

my guess is that about 3/4 of the way to the destination, the front end will seize up, prompting the driver to call a friend with lots of towing expirence and a car trailer to bring his little truck home.

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Are you that friend?

Eric D
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
ok, so i need to proove a point to one of my friends. what do you guys think will happen to a midsize pickup truck with a front axle housing(front diff basicaly) that is cracked and leaking fluid out, after driving 3 hours at highway speed, then 3 hours back? also, the housing at the time of the trip departure would have only, 1/4 of the fluid in it that it is supposed to have.

my guess is that about 3/4 of the way to the destination, the front end will seize up, prompting the driver to call a friend with lots of towing expirence and a car trailer to bring his little truck home.

Is this trip already done, or is this trip the plan? If the trip hasn't departed yet, and if repairs need to be done somewhere other then where the truck is, then why not at least clean the crack area and seal it before the trip? You could also remove the axle shafts to each of the front wheels keeping the diff from rotating, though this is a little harder to do.

Best of luck!:drinkup:

Eric D

Petr51488
07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Are you that friend?

Yea i think so. This kid is nothing but a door mat for his "friends" lol Sure, drive it, tell your friend to risk his life, and others on the road just to "prove a point"

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Is this trip already done, or is this trip the plan? If the trip hasn't departed yet, and if repairs need to be done somewhere other then where the truck is, then why not at least clean the crack area and seal it before the trip? You could also remove the axle shafts to each of the front wheels keeping the diff from rotating, though this is a little harder to do.

Best of luck!:drinkup:

Eric D

the trip is half done, said driver made it to his destination intact, however, the front end of the truck in question is grinding real bad, and has no more fluid. the front diff can't be sealed, it needs to be replaced, there is currently only one bolt holding the covers onto the diff. The result will probably be the the truck needs to be towed home, especialy after today where it will be in 4wd out on the beach. however, with traffic from the fourth, it turns a 6 hour round trip into a 9 or 10 hour trip. but we'll see what the driver decides to do. of course i'll go out and get him, but i would really rather not, cause even the one way trip in the kind of traffic they have, with a 22 fot tandem axle car trailer would wear me out real quick.

lwcmattlifter
07-04-2007, 06:05 PM
How did he lose all but one of the bolts to the diff cover? Get some bolts in the cover, clean off the crack with brake cleaner and fill it with epoxy. Try to over fill the diff with fluid and drive it home. What type of truck is this?

What is a midsize truck? I did not realize there was such a thing.

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 06:26 PM
How did he lose all but one of the bolts to the diff cover? Get some bolts in the cover, clean off the crack with brake cleaner and fill it with epoxy. Try to over fill the diff with fluid and drive it home. What type of truck is this?

What is a midsize truck? I did not realize there was such a thing.

he did some very bad damage bottoming out on a rock while off roading, he tried to keep up with me, but he just didn't have the clearance. he drives a GMC canyon 4 cylinder. the covers can't be repaired, they are cracked almost in two, and the flange type thing that it bolts to is bent out of shape and none of the holes match up. he's gonna limp it home, possibly removing the front CV axles, but the best bet is to have me go and get him, he's spending the night where he is, he's picking up his fiance, she's on vacation with her family, and isn't having as much fun as she had hoped so she's comming home a week early. he'll let me know tonight whether he can drive home or not. if he can't, then ill head out at about 2 am, hopefully get to him by 6am, with the traffic from parties and the weather it'll take a while longer than usual, and get back home by like 10 or 11, so at least the entire work day isn't shot.

muddstopper
07-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Interesting how he might of already done all this damage. I dont know how the gmc canyon front axle is assembled, but most all the newer gm products have an electric selnoid that engages the front axle to the differencial in four wheel drive. If the axel isnot engaged, the differential shouldnt be turning, only the axles, since the outer axles are seperately oiled/greased from the differencial, (independant suspension), the axles shouldnt be hurt. The centersection is probably already toast so I would just drive it home. Might possibly remove the front drive shaft.

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Interesting how he might of already done all this damage. I dont know how the gmc canyon front axle is assembled, but most all the newer gm products have an electric selnoid that engages the front axle to the differencial in four wheel drive. If the axel isnot engaged, the differential shouldnt be turning, only the axles, since the outer axles are seperately oiled/greased from the differencial, (independant suspension), the axles shouldnt be hurt. The centersection is probably already toast so I would just drive it home. Might possibly remove the front drive shaft.

on this one, and on mine, the axle is constantly turning, which means that the differential is turning, hence the grinding.

SiteSolutions
07-05-2007, 01:32 AM
He drove it around on the beach like this? In 4WD?

I sometimes wish I had more friends; this post makes me glad I'm too busy for much of a social life.

Sounds like you need to remove the loose nut from behind the steering wheel.

SiteSolutions
07-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Oh, and post some pics.

lwcmattlifter
07-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Since your friend found the weak link in his truck it may be time for an upgrade. I wonder if you can fit a Dana 30 out of a cherokee or wrangler under that GM. How did he end up getting his ride home?

mike lane lawn care
07-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Since your friend found the weak link in his truck it may be time for an upgrade. I wonder if you can fit a Dana 30 out of a cherokee or wrangler under that GM. How did he end up getting his ride home?

probably could find a way to make it fit. and he dis connected his CV axles an limped the truck home, i'm gonna help him diagnose what he killed durring that trip this afternoon.

mike33087
07-06-2007, 11:00 PM
where in mass are you, these stories seem like they come from like where the deliverence was filmed ....
lol tell you friend to hire a tow truck and do things the right way, the truck should never had been on the road

mike33087
07-06-2007, 11:03 PM
lol kid dont take me too seriously im just bustin ya.... but where in he hEll is lenox anyways

Albemarle Lawn
07-06-2007, 11:13 PM
now its a 2wd and will go just fine....on road, that is!

EDIT: ok I just read he did just that. Good work. Now just sell the piece of crap at a repo auction or EBAY

mike lane lawn care
07-07-2007, 12:04 AM
lol kid dont take me too seriously im just bustin ya.... but where in he hEll is lenox anyways

Lenox is in southern berkshire county. ever hear of tanglewood? or shakespear and Co.? those are in this tiny little town. we do however, have some amazing off road trails way up in october mountain.