PDA

View Full Version : Info About The Yanmar 2v78 Engine!

DARK-RIDER-82
07-03-2007, 04:41 PM
HELLO! My name is Gabriel I am from Romania(eastern Europe,if some of you guys don't know where's that), and I have some questions: 1.How reliable is this engine: Yanmar 2V78? 2.How much does it cost form were you are?(Here in Romania is not available... only else were but not here...) and 3.What should be the fuel consumption for an engine of this sizes at maximum Rpm. !
THANK YOU KINDLY , AND I RELLY HOPE YOU WILL ANSWER ME SOON!
Bye Bye!:waving:

razor1
07-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Gabriel,
Welcome to L.S.
Apparently this is a new engine on the market. I've used a small Yanmar diesel engine in the past and they are very reliable and fuel efficient. This motor will probably be the same and sounds very interesting. If I find out more info I will let you know.

"Seeking to provide an alternative to gasoline engines in equipment such as commercial mowers, turf equipment, welders, generators, chippers, sweepers, utility and all-terrain

vehicles and industrial equipment, Yanmar has developed a new twin-cylinder diesel engine. The 2V78V vertical shaft engine was introduced to North America at the recent OPEI Lawn & Garden Expo '97 in Louisville, Ky., by Yanmar Diesel America Corp. and is available in ratings from 16.1 to 20 hp at operating speeds from 2800 to 3600 rpm.

"The engine is new from the ground up," said Jeff Williams, OEM sales at Yanmar Diesel America. "We have not taken any componentry from any existing engine and used it in the new engine. The combustion chamber is different, the aluminum block is different we started with a clean sheet of paper." http://www.allbusiness.com/transportation/motor-vehicle-manufacturing/636913-1.html?yahss=114-2974554-636913

DARK-RIDER-82
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
thanks MAN! I've read a lot about it on the net , but still the best opinion about a product, is from the consumer :) ! The company can say a lot of krap but when you get you hands on the product , it's a hole different thing! thanks again !In the meantime I'll be cheking the site! :) BYE BYE!
Gabriel!

razor1
07-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Gabriel,
Are you going to buy a Yanmar engine and for what purpose?

DARK-RIDER-82
07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Razor, I am not sure WHAT to do... I have a motorcycle , and for this reason I whant to know more about this diesel engine... I know it may sound strange for YOU GUYS IN THE U.S.A. , but i would love a diesel motorcycle:rolleyes: , but it seems that there is no engine available!(with a reasonable power ...) My motorcycle is a DNEPR MT-11 from 1992(it was manufactured in Ukrain)There are some Dnepr equiped with a Hatz diesel engine of 1000cc manufactured in Austria, but I really don't like that engine... I would love something a little bit "more exotic" engine, if I should complicate "my existence" with such A BIG MODIFICATION... the main reason I whant an diesel engine is the reliability problem! really , this Dnepr boxer engine is a reall pain in the a..s ! THIS IS WHY I THOUGHT I SHOULD ASK YOU GUYS,THAT KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT THESE SMALL(BUT RELIABLE) DIESEL ENGINES! with this post i think i've been a little "off-topic" but surely you understand me!
BYE BYE FOR NOW!
gabriel!

txgrassguy
07-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Gabriel, why in the world are you having problems with your Boxer based motor?
My '79 BMW R100RT has over 185,000 miles on the bottom end and it is still running strong.
The primary problems I see converting a DNEPR over to the Yanmar is weight.
The base engine is at least three times heavier, not to mention the difficulty of mounting a water cooled diesel on a three wheeler - about the only benefit is torque while driving the third driven wheel on the sidecar.
Bear in mind significant frame surgery would be needed as you would have to raise the frame back bone up at least eight inches to clear the valve cover which would appear really odd - IMO anyways.
I'm not saying it couldn't be done but why not install the electronic ignition in the Boxer motor and be done with the ignition headaches?
I can also see massive fabrication being necessary to mate the transmission to the longer motor, clutch issues, drive line reliability issues with the greater torque of the diesel.
Hey, if you have the fabrication skills go for it but this seems to be more effort than the bike is worth.

DARK-RIDER-82
07-05-2007, 04:24 AM
well now txgrassguy, you really make laugh! YOU CAN NOT COMPARE AN GENUINE BMW (I MEAN REALLY A BMW) WITH THIS CRAP MOTORCYCLE that is DNEPR... really now , if you don't believe me , check out "our" forum : www.motociclism.ro/forum/ and ask a few guys that own a dnepr... YOU WILL BE AMAZED OF THE MULTITUDE OF PROBLEMS THAT THIS UKRAINIAN MOTORCYCLES HAS(it's not even russian...i am sure that Ural's are a lot better in reliability terms...) TO HAVE REALLY BMW (A GENUINE BOXER ENGINE/BMW MOTORCYCLE it's a dream... at least for me :laugh: you know how ABBA say: "money money money must be funny in the rich mans world":laugh: ) anyway , I tryed to send you an personal message , but you can't be contacted.. WITH this topic I'M really off-topic, and I would liked to send you a personal message than to fill this forum with my "strange" ideeas:hammerhead: I think I'll sell it away for nothing(or give it away) because I'm really sick of it...(the Dnepr...)
nice thing to own a BMW (didn't you know that BMW made their motorcycle for A LIFE TIME?:waving: )
:rolleyes:

txgrassguy
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Gabriel, you can't private message until a set number of posts have been made by you.
Once you can private mail, shoot me your email so we don't go really off topic.

DARK-RIDER-82
07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
ANYWAY... let's forget about the bikes! interesting thing this lawn site! ACTUALLY WHAT DO YOU DO IN THIS BUSSINES? Me and a friend of mine , tryed to plant some grass at his brand new buyed piece of land(he is finishing and a house there), and it came out very bad... in an area it's green in another is the bear ground... the "metod that we used is to throw the seeds in all directions:rolleyes: is that good? it's not continuos the grass , it's not a green nice "carpet" it's green here and there... WHAT METOD DO YOU THINK IT'S BEST? I REALLY whant to help him because he is sick of the city and this new house is at about 13miles from his working place , and he really likes it there ...but my metod of making a nice green hill didn't work out... I must mention that is a lot of ground planted with grass... BIG area... I will tell you more precis after I measure it right... right now I can't do a thing(this friend of mine is gone in vacancy :walking: with his wife... he is gone for 3weeks (in the nice and warm Italy)but he's coming back :) I hope! :) BYE BYE!

Tim Wright
07-05-2007, 11:28 AM
You all use the Greek alphabet in Romania?

Tim

DARK-RIDER-82
07-05-2007, 02:27 PM
hmm please explain me ! what greek alphabet? I must say , my english is not so good... but surely you can't speak romanian , so... I don't speak english every day! still what greek alphabet? see if you can understand what I'm saying now(it's in romanian languange :) ) : Ce fel de motoare folositi prin gradina voastra? :p BYE BYE ,(for now :p )
Gabriel!

Tim Wright
07-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I went to the motor cycle forum that is in your signature line and the type looks Greek to me.

Tim

razor1
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Gabriel,
I had never heard of the DNEPR MT-11. Very cool looking "old school" bike. Have you ever thought about buying a used American, or Japanese bike. They can be very reliable and inexpensive (especially the Jap bikes) www.ebay.com

Also, I have found your posts quite amusing. Have you seen the movie "Borat"? If not, check it out. :)

DARK-RIDER-82
07-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Ooohhhh Yes "borat" Yes Yes I Couldn't Stop Laughing Really Amusing That Guy(and Clever) I've Heard You Americans Really Loved It! I Wonder Why...?

DARK-RIDER-82
07-05-2007, 05:29 PM
hey TIM , THAT'S RUSSIAN!:rolleyes: it is a site with russian and ucrainian motorcycles and the modifications that can be done (improvements in the engine) ok , it's a friend of mine VLAD TURAYEV :waving: hey vlad(if you read this :) ) it's a nice guy this BORAT ... have movies with him? i just can't stop laughing:laugh: he's a devil :waving:

razor1
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm glad you liked Borat, is nice! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLTJP6n8AI