PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam and carb health

DJL50
07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
No luck in the repair thread. Thought I would try here.
I have a 19HP Kawasaki that I would like to keep the carb in clean condition. Would it be a good idea to run a product like Sea Foam through the tank at every oil change? (50 hrs) If so, How much do I add to a gallon of gas? The directions are not clear as to how much needed to clean the carb Just says "add more to clean" and gives a very wide range or oz per Gal. (like 3 to 21oz)
What do you use and how much?
Also I have Sea Foam in a spray can. Boy does it make the engine smoke. does it help to clean the carb by just spraying in the carb as the engine is running???

RTallday
07-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Hmm....How about old school style, clean fresh gas, tight fuel cap, and routine maintenance? Change the air and fuel filters regularly and you SHOULD be fine. Dont bother with that other stuff. -Rich

Steppenwolf
07-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Rich is right but if you do think you sucked some dirt in the carb another old school method of cleaning is to take the air filter and shroud off, run engine full speed,cover air intake with rag or hand till engine almost dies and release,repeat if necessary,should suck the dirt right out.

Scagguy
07-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Use Sea Foam usually twice a year. Once during the summer and once during the winter. It goes into all of the equipment at 1.5 oz per gallon of gas. I don't know if it really makes much difference, but I feel better having added it.

DJL50
07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Hmm....How about old school style, clean fresh gas, tight fuel cap, and routine maintenance? Change the air and fuel filters regularly and you SHOULD be fine. Dont bother with that other stuff. -Rich

I hear what you are saying but am looking at this as a preventive maintenance or "insurance" to keep things clean. We all should eat right and exercise but pop a pill for high cholesterol. same sort of thing. No matter how much we try over time the carb will get dirty.

tallimeca
07-04-2007, 11:02 AM
hate to tell you guys, but the idea for spraying carb cleaner into the intake, does nothing but clean down any build up on the throttle butterfly.

The only way to clean a carb is to remove and disassemble it.

I have people come in all the time......my machine won't start, it's been sitting for a year, think it's the carb? YUP.

Ok, i'll spray some carb cleaner on it..

It's like putting a bandaid on your stomach for a ruptured spleen.

DOLMARatOS
07-04-2007, 11:31 AM
hate to tell you guys, but the idea for spraying carb cleaner into the intake, does nothing but clean down any build up on the throttle butterfly.

The only way to clean a carb is to remove and disassemble it.

I have people come in all the time......my machine won't start, it's been sitting for a year, think it's the carb? YUP.

Ok, i'll spray some carb cleaner on it..

It's like putting a bandaid on your stomach for a ruptured spleen.

I agree that once a carburetor is clogged or not running correctly the only real repair is to pull the carb. and clean it out.

This being said, I fully endorse the use of Sea Foam in both your fuel and oil (read instructions). Very helpful in reducing carbon deposits, cleaning intake valves, etc. Not a cure all but helps prevent future problems. Especially with the poor quality of fuel being sold to us here in the US these days.

carcrz
07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Any special tips on complete disassembly then? (KAW 13HP) Or is it just a matter of taking it off & piece by piece?

Richard Martin
07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Any special tips on complete disassembly then? (KAW 13HP) Or is it just a matter of taking it off & piece by piece?

If you're not having a problem don't touch the carb.

I like to add some fuel injector cleaner to the gas once in a while myelf.

fergman
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
on two-cycles i watched the exhaust port when i shut off the trimmer (the muffler off) and the fuel poured out all around the walls where the carbon builds up. the other day i cleaned the exhaust port it was gooey cause it didnt have enough time to dry and get brick hard yet. so i turned the trimmer on its side and poured seafoam in it with the piston all the way up. in a couple of minutes i flipped it over poured the seafoam out and EVERY SPECK of the gooey carbon had vanished. so i THINK so far unless i get proven other wise that if you use seafoam as a fuel additive in your 2-cycle can it will probably keep them clean for an extremely long time or it will never build up carbon at all if you ALWAYS use it.

hess
07-04-2007, 09:32 PM
every time i fill my cans i put this stuff in had to have my mower check out and they asked me how many years did you have this i said 4 couldn't beleave it looked new!! It just helps all the time it make's sure nothing sticks to anything

CutsForLess
07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
About twice a year I add B-12 Chemtool to the gas tank of everything I own except my trucks and that is beacause they are diesel. This will clean any build up that might occur. I have taken my boat to the shop to clean the carbs until they tell me what it is going to cost, I go home and add a little chemtool to the gas and they are as good as new. Since I did that the first time I have started doing it to my equipment. CAUTION do not add to much or you can cause serious problems.

carcrz
07-05-2007, 02:29 AM
If you're not having a problem don't touch the carb.

I like to add some fuel injector cleaner to the gas once in a while myelf.

I am, that's why I said that. I drained all the fuel, took the bowl off & cleaned it out, drained out filter & all associated lines. Mower still won't start.

KTO Enterprises
07-05-2007, 03:06 AM
Did you check for spark? Is the PTO on?

Richard Martin
07-05-2007, 05:45 AM
I am, that's why I said that. I drained all the fuel, took the bowl off & cleaned it out, drained out filter & all associated lines. Mower still won't start.

Shoot a little starting fluid in it. Starting fluid isn't going to hurt a thing. If it starts up you do have a fuel problem, if it doesn't then the problem lies elsewhere.

carcrz
07-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Shoot a little starting fluid in it. Starting fluid isn't going to hurt a thing. If it starts up you do have a fuel problem, if it doesn't then the problem lies elsewhere.

no dice on the starter fluid.

TCossuto
07-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Ovbiously you havn't tried seafoam.

Pour in about a third of the bottle per 3 gallons. It dosn't really matter. Spray some in the carb, pour some in the oil (a hour or so before you change it... but run it good while its in there), and take a shot of it. Kidding about the shot, but the rest will make a huge difference.

lawnmaniac883
07-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Why is it you fellas think the carbs are just gonna regularly get dirty and lower performance? Gas nowadays is loaded with additives as it is and if your carb does get loaded up, taking it apart and cleaning it is the solution. Seafoam contains lots of alcohol which isnt good for the seals in your carb. JMO

Richard Martin
07-05-2007, 02:19 PM
no dice on the starter fluid.

Then it's not a fuel or carb problem. Is it manual or electric start?

If it's manual start disconnect the engine from the mower where the wire harness for the mower attaches to the engine. It should be a simple plug with a few (or maybe even only one) wires coming out of it. See if the engine starts then.

If it's electric start do the same thing as the manual start engine but you will have to directly jump the starter to get it to turn over. Just get a set of jumper cables and hook the black cable to somewhere on the engine and then touch the red cable to the bolt sticking out of the side of the starter with the heavy red wire attached to it. See if the engine starts then.

If the engine starts with the mower wire harness disconnected then there is a problem in the mower wiring. If it doesn't start then there is a problem in the engine itself.

themowerman
07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Optimol makes a product called Optimizer which is a fuel stabilizer/conditioner. It also helps to combat the negative effects of todays fuel.....

DOLMARatOS
07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Optimol makes a product called Optimizer which is a fuel stabilizer/conditioner. It also helps to combat the negative effects of todays fuel.....

We were selling / using Sea-Foam in our shop and have switched to Interlube - Opti Optimizer fuel additive. Good price. Acts as a fuel conditioner, stabilizer, fuel system cleaner, helps with moisture, etc. Good stuff. I recomend my LCOs to run it in their fuel once a month to combat the deposits left in engines by today's fuels.

Of course everyone has their own opinion andtechnique for service. It really comes down to how well you take care of your equipment and what quality fuel you run.

carcrz
07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Richard, I started a new thread. Sorry for taking the post in another direction!

Thread (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=193015)

DJL50
07-06-2007, 01:24 AM
I started this thread and would like to post my first experience with Sea Foam.
I have a chipper that I was using about a year ago. I lent it out to a friend and he must have put gas in it with out a fuel additive. It ran for about 1/2 hour then quit. It would fire with starting fluid but not run. Sure sign of a dirty carb. Well it sat in the shed till today (a year latter) I was going to clean the carb but thought I would give the Sea Foam a try. I put in fresh fuil and tried to start it to no avail. Just would not fire for nothing. I dumped in some Sea Foam in the carb, Cranked the engine a couple of times and let it set for 5 min. Put my hand over the air intake and cranked away. The engine fired up and smoked like hell. ran rough for a few. Now runs like brand new. I"M SOLD. May not work all the time but did in this case. Saved me a bunch of time.