PDA

View Full Version : walker mower starting problems

bligh61
07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
My 20 hp ghs gas walker mower has been hard to start. I changed out the battery, same problem. She sounds like the starter is having a hard time starting it, almost like a slow grind. also sometimes i turn the key and get only the tones, but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated. also if i tap the blade engage handle it begins cranking. i changed the safety switch. same problem

khouse
07-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Try a known good battery. Clean both ends of the battery cables If it doesn't fix it then change out the starter.

gene gls
07-04-2007, 09:01 PM
My 20 hp ghs gas walker mower has been hard to start. I changed out the battery, same problem. She sounds like the starter is having a hard time starting it, almost like a slow grind. also sometimes i turn the key and get only the tones, but nothing else. Any help would be appreciated. also if i tap the blade engage handle it begins cranking. i changed the safety switch. same problem

If its an older machine, then there is probely dirt in the starter that is causing your problem. I have a 1996 machine that I have had this problem with several times. There was a design change in the starters a couple years ago the corrected the dirt problem.

ggcontractors
07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a Walker mower with a Kohler’s 25-hp engine. It stopped running while I was mowing, and would not start by turning the key. But it started several times when I crossed the starter terminals with a screw driver. It stopped again while mowing, and now it will not start with the key or crossing the terminals. Is this an electrical switch problem? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Gman

ggcontractors
07-11-2007, 12:18 AM
*trucewhiteflag* :clapping: I have a Walker mower with a Kohlerís 25-hp engine. It stopped running while I was mowing, and would not start by turning the key. But it started several times when I crossed the starter terminals with a screw driver. It stopped again while mowing, and now it will not start with the key or crossing the terminals. Is this an electrical switch problem? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Gman

pclawncare
07-11-2007, 01:03 AM
ggcontractors sounds like a starter silonoid problem. More than likely the terminals you are talking about are not the starter but the starter silonid. I had a problem with my 99 mc getting the silonoid getting hot because it is getting hot from the engine and sticking, tap it a little on the side and it works also crosing the two post with a screw driver starts right up also make sure the screw driver is not touching the blower tensioning pully spring it will melt it in a heart beat trust me on that one.

Eric D
07-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Check your ground connections from the battery to the engine block as well. Bad ground and nothing will work.