PDA

View Full Version : Price project - owner not happy with bill

meets1
07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Recently completed a window well with versa lock blocks, which the owner supplied. I beleive we went up 10 course's and capped the top which was also supplied.

We did a bit of digging, all the dirt which the home owner dug was right in front of all the block he unloaded which meant we had to lift the block over the dirt to the hole - we supplied all base material and labor. The wall dim. was around 10ft across and 4ft away from the two windows.

sheshovel
07-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Too bad he's not happy with the bill, should have given him an estimate before starting the work. I cannot price out your job for you to compare too. That is almost impossible without knowing how you do your work and what you need to make to make a living. You do the work he pays the bill and that's the way things go. I suggest you refuse any work where the client supplies any of the materials. Red flag right there.

meets1
07-03-2007, 07:29 PM
The dude is my banker - my uncle built his 500K house, rough estimate was given, and his 2nd cousin is the owner of a block plant where he can get blcok a whole lot cheaper than I can. After lifting on and off truck - he didn't think he could handle that project.

tthomass
07-03-2007, 09:02 PM
soooooo, you priced it vs what he thinks? is he wanting $100 off or 50% off? not much to go on but you did the work and he isn't happy. how did your estimate compare to the final price.

"lien"

richallseasons
07-03-2007, 09:24 PM
from what you say it sounds to me that all of the signs of this guy being a cheap sob were in place and you just didnt see them...

meets1
07-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Yes and no. I mow three banks for him ( he is just the VP, not owner) and always wanting us to stretch the 6 day work week to a 10day cutting. won't work. He is cheap - yes. My rough estimate to actualy cost - with 7%. Although I added 2 hours worth of skid time, which is itimized out to dig out dirt for there paver patio which he did.

mattfromNY
07-03-2007, 09:28 PM
It is what it is...
He could have done it himself...
He hired you, he should pay you, he's in business, he should understand you need to eat, too!

luxman226
07-04-2007, 04:41 AM
As meets1 said same kind of thing happenned , we have to be very professional in doing our work, you need to get the estimate commitment is very important, if you commit to do, you have to do and if you dont follow the business process standards you might be the loser. Failures are stepping stones to success , meets you are in the learning curve dont get hurt again follow the basics.

Big M LawnnSnow
07-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Was your estimate that far off?
It sounds like your estimate was low and your client is cheap.
We don't take jobs where the client supplies the materials.
Nor do we allow them to set mowing schedules.
Too bad your uncle tell you this guy was a cheapo.

AGLA
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Business guys play this game all the time. They pull this crap to see if you will let them get away with it. When you call them on it and stick your guns, they eventually back down and pay and they keep giving you more work like nothing ever happened.

Bank guys negotiate all of the time and it is normal to do this because it works so often. Usually, if you establish that you won't let yourself get bargained with, they don't continue to try the next time. But if you do, they will pull this crap all the time because it is an easy way to save money.

Think about how much you would save if you tried this every time someone did any work for you. Most guys would stick to their guns and you'd pay full price, but those that don't want to hassle will let it ride. The VP knows there is a good chance you might eat it, or not.

Heck, next time why don't you pad the bill with some extras (like sweeping the driveway) and see if you can get away with it. You'd be surprised how often this is done successfully. If you are called on it, you can agree that it should be covered in the contract and take it off the bill. Some people will just pay it. You may be perceived as a jerk (like the banker), so you probably should not do it. But, there are guys that make a living on this sort of stuff.

Stick to your bill. He'll pay and will not hold it against you. If he does, who needs him?

maintenanceguy
07-04-2007, 11:58 AM
The problem with owner supplied materials is that it's not their job, not your job. They designed it, ordered the materials, told you how to put it together, and now you're just their laborer and they expect to pay laborer's wages.

Kiril
07-04-2007, 04:40 PM
They designed it, ordered the materials, told you how to put it together, and now you're just their laborer and they expect to pay laborer's wages.

True, at which point you negotiate a fair hourly wage and go with that. If the guy is willing to pay you $50/hr to place blocks so be it.

PatriotLandscape
07-04-2007, 07:46 PM
how many hours do you have in the job? and materials?

meets1
07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Total hours on job - 24, based materail, skid, laser, saw, hand tools.

PatriotLandscape
07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
should be around 1,000 plus or minus a little. thats 35.00 plus materials add a little for the skid.

Why did you have a skid on this job? it doesn't sound like it warranted one.

lazyike
07-09-2007, 10:17 PM
That sucks.. But you said that he is your banker??? I guess he pays or I would take my business account, home account, auto loans, and my investments out of his bank. Thats how business is. what goes around comes around.