PDA

View Full Version : Question about a walker.

Turf Technologies
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Im looking at getting a new walker SD with the 56 deck thursday, anything bad about that size I need to know about before picking it up?I wont be doing any cattching.

TCossuto
07-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, nothing wrong with it. If it's a non floating deck, you may have trouble with any bumps/holes and scalp the lawn.

DSTC
07-03-2007, 10:50 PM
go for the mulching deck. We had a SD and went to a mulching deck in a lower size. Walkers mulch so well that the bigger SD deck is now just a spare sitting in the warehouse :)

And, I might be wrong here, but I thought all walker decks were "floating" decks?

Isn't that their big claim to fame?

Oh, and if you haven't bought yet, I LOVE my Diesel model. Can mow about 1.5 ot 2 Acres per gallon of fuel.

corey1977
07-04-2007, 07:08 AM
yes walker decks do float I have never used a walker mulching deck just ghs and sd here in maine the grass grows to fast in the spring to mulch

ed2hess
07-04-2007, 02:43 PM
go for the mulching deck. We had a SD and went to a mulching deck in a lower size. Walkers mulch so well that the bigger SD deck is now just a spare sitting in the warehouse :)

And, I might be wrong here, but I thought all walker decks were "floating" decks?

Oh, and if you haven't bought yet, I LOVE my Diesel model. Can mow about 1.5 ot 2 Acres per gallon of fuel.

Any change of having a 36" SD for sale?

zamboni
07-04-2007, 04:09 PM
You'll love any type of Walker you get. It's the best purchase I've made in my life. I'm a solo op. and I show up to a house with other lco's nearby and I thank my lucky stars that I'm not walking. BTW, I'm faster than their crews and it looks much better. Best of luck, John.

Turf Technologies
07-04-2007, 07:51 PM
As of now I use a 52 WB going up another 4inches will I have any problems?

TLS
07-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Just my opinion here....but if your not going to bag, why get a Walker?

corey1977
07-04-2007, 08:07 PM
hay turf walker has a 52 deck that you can eather sd or mulch with and change over also

gene gls
07-04-2007, 08:08 PM

The blade tip speed is slower on the deisel units due to the engin RPM's, leaving a "rougher" looking cut. At least it was on my 1997 Walker.

Turf Technologies
07-04-2007, 10:33 PM
You would have to understabd souther turf.

tomo
07-05-2007, 04:52 AM
hello, using a walker for only side discharge work !!!

First ,the 56 inch is not the unit if u want heavy duty
[the 56 is the latest generation of deck with its heritage from the 54 inch deck.]
With out going into it to much the principle applies .
1/have all blades inline
2/when the middle blade breaks the shear pins ,all the blade tips either side of the middle blade r going in the opposite direction .This results in a """major collision """
3/The reason this does not happen with the GHS collection units is there blade tips r spinning in the same direction during overlap

The reason or at least one of them the later deck is 56inch is it is a stetched 54 to plainly reduce the overlap
The current 56 flows way better due to the tunnel

The 52 inch belt drive deck is way superior in all ways IMO

In comparison my turbo force 60 inch passes grass better than my walker 52

If u can afford diesel is always a better choice and particularly in a walker .

The later /current diesel rpm limit is the same as the gasers [there was an earlier diesel rpm??]

tomo:waving: