PDA

View Full Version : north carolina rest area

richard1103
07-03-2007, 08:35 PM
i stopped at rest area in Charlotte to today state worker was mowing it .looked like crap he was using a grasshopper it looked like it was mowed with a bent blade .a tooth less Goat would have done a better job. state worker should have been deducted a month pay for his work .they can not keep a contractor .most any newbee could have done better .they are good for holding a shovel or sleeping in truck.i would have fired that worker

johnnywill08
07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
whew.... thought i might be opening a can of worms, judging by the title of this thread....

Stuttering Stan
07-03-2007, 11:04 PM
That worker probably doesn't take pride in his work. He is looking for a paycheck and 5 pm. Get what you pay for. If the state would pay enough to hire a quality contractor, it would look better. But in this day and age of tight budgets...... fat chance!!!

richard1103
07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
they preach how good every thing has to be then go with low bid that can not deliver the service . or the engineer has to be a pain in butt then state workers come in and do work till they get a new lowball and it looks like crap

S.A.L.
07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Recently I pulled next to a City Parks and Services truck full of napping monkeys. It was 10:00AM, all of the equipment was sitting idle on the median and not a blade of grass had been threatened anywhere in the vacinity. I asked the "foreman" how much we pay them for their outstanding service, to which he replied "...eight bucks an hour!"

DLCS
07-04-2007, 01:52 AM
a tooth less Goat would have done a better job.

ROFLMAO, good one.

Richard Martin
07-04-2007, 06:22 AM
I asked the "foreman" how much we pay them for their outstanding service, to which he replied "...eight bucks an hour!"

That's not an excuse. The guy agreed to work for eight bucks an hour and he should have gotten busy. If he doesn't like the pay he needs to go back to school, complete at least the 9th grade and get a better job.

bohiaa
07-04-2007, 06:30 AM
there's some guys that do the one where I live. it's quite large and they use grasshopppers. they just dont care, it's subbed out,,

they run over paper and everything....

2 clowns mowing
07-04-2007, 08:29 AM
hi richard, my wife and i stop twice a year in mount airy on our way to the shore. we look forward to a short visit there. haven't seen a bad yard in your town yet. keep up the good work you do.

Richard Martin
07-04-2007, 04:36 PM
hi richard, my wife and i stop twice a year in mount airy on our way to the shore. we look forward to a short visit there. haven't seen a bad yard in your town yet. keep up the good work you do.

I don't actually live in Swift Creek or Mt. Airy but I do live in NC. I generally keep my exact location anonymous for security reasons. If you read through my posts it's pretty easy to figure out where I live but I don't broadcast it.

DBL
07-04-2007, 04:44 PM
penndot is made up of 95% "shovel leaners". one guy works three guys watch

DLCS
07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
penndot is made up of 95% "shovel leaners". one guy works three guys watch

Those guys are called shadow leaners. Just like when IDOT mows the ditches, they have a shadow truck, follow them. The only job where they pay a guy to do nothing.

DBL
07-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Those guys are called shadow leaners. Just like when IDOT mows the ditches, they have a shadow truck, follow them. The only job where they pay a guy to do nothing.

oh yeah the shadow trucks that would be an awesome job you know they make good money benefits the whole 9 yards but anyway all they do is follow work around all day

Envy Lawn Service
07-05-2007, 12:16 AM
they preach how good every thing has to be then go with low bid that can not deliver the service . or the engineer has to be a pain in butt then state workers come in and do work till they get a new lowball and it looks like crap

That's EXACTLY RIGHT.

The "state" maintained areas go to the lowest bidder, or the bidder who's giving a kickback to someone 100% of the time. In time, when the grass gets going good, often the lowballer realizes he's loosing his arse and quits. Then comes along the state worker hacks to fill the gaps until they get a new lowballer.

This state doesn't even check the legitimacy of their bidders. I know lowballing "under the table" outfits here that have landed state work bidding under a false business name.

But I could care less anymore because one of the 'big blowhard' lawnsite members (who doesn't come around anymore) came in from 100 miles away and lowballed them.... comical.

lawnman_scott
07-05-2007, 12:26 AM
This state doesn't even check the legitimacy of their bidders. I know lowballing "under the table" outfits here that have landed state work bidding under a false business name.

But I could care less anymore because one of the 'big blowhard' lawnsite members (who doesn't come around anymore) came in from 100 miles away and lowballed them.... comical.That is comical.

DBL
07-05-2007, 10:33 AM
That is comical.

whats more comical is i remember the thread about this and i remember the guy who youre refering to

Juan_Deere
07-05-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't actually live in Swift Creek or Mt. Airy but I do live in NC. I generally keep my exact location anonymous for security reasons. If you read through my posts it's pretty easy to figure out where I live but I don't broadcast it.

LOL. But unless you are using some kind of high tech, anonymous program and equipment with roaming features, the fact that you are on a computer means you are no longer secure. Not broadcasting where you live is doing nothing to keep the people who really want to know, from finding out anyway.

Richard Martin
07-05-2007, 01:59 PM
LOL. But unless you are using some kind of high tech, anonymous program and equipment with roaming features, the fact that you are on a computer means you are no longer secure. Not broadcasting where you live is doing nothing to keep the people who really want to know, from finding out anyway.

And your point is?

It keeps the trolls from finding out my location easily. That is even assuming my real name is Richard Martin. Some of my other a.k.a.s are Trey Lepark, Maryland Stang, Crabgrassman and a bunch of other names. Take your pick, they won't help you find me.

Beckham
07-05-2007, 02:05 PM
i stopped at rest area in Charlotte to today state worker was mowing it .looked like crap he was using a grasshopper it looked like it was mowed with a bent blade .a tooth less Goat would have done a better job. state worker should have been deducted a month pay for his work .they can not keep a contractor .most any newbee could have done better .they are good for holding a shovel or sleeping in truck.i would have fired that worker

I might me cutting down the tree while standing out on a limb but I learned long time ago not to criticise someone without walking a mile in their shoes.:walking: :walking: :walking: :walking: That same person doing a lousy job mowing the grounds might be the same person who cleans the parking lot after a family van pulls out leaving several fast food sacks, or cleans up after the kid who didn't get to the restroom before heaving it all in the floor, unstopping a bank of commodes that just flooded the restroom caused by someone who used a roll of paper just to wipe his shoes, and picks up numerous pee bottles left by truckers who pulled in for a power nap, clean up after people who walk their dogs in areas not meant for pets and lots of other stuff. He is also the complaint dept! He is not a Lawn Care Professional. Believe me I can talk about this subject, the list goes on and on. You all know how it is to deal with the public and especially a public use area like a park or rest area. Abused by one party the very next person who uses it expects it to be immaculate well kept and maintained to the upmost degree. No one admits to being the culprit. It like littering, no one does it. They all pick up everything and even take out more garbage than they bring in. We all know that isn't true. Like I have said in my few post, I'm not in the LC business and consider it a priviledge to post here. Not trying to take up for this person the dig on him might be warranted. It just seemed that this thread was going in the direction of all "Government Employees route". I'm sure you will agree that not all Lawn Care Professionals deserve the title of "Professional" attached to their name.

Juan_Deere
07-05-2007, 05:46 PM
And your point is?

It keeps the trolls from finding out my location easily. That is even assuming my real name is Richard Martin. Some of my other a.k.a.s are Trey Lepark, Maryland Stang, Crabgrassman and a bunch of other names. Take your pick, they won't help you find me.

My point is, any computer geek, which nowadays seems to be just about every 12 year old, can see exactly what computer you are posting from, what your real name is, who your internet provider is, and where you are located. It doesn't matter what you call yourself. You are not as anonymous and safe as you think you are.

S.A.L.
07-06-2007, 12:45 PM
And your point is?

...my real name is Maryland Stang.

I used to date a girl named Maryland Stang.:dizzy: That chick wasn't rite! Not even close.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 06:12 PM
As long as its mowed the State might not care ?? I agree they should take a little more pride in there work ,they are representing there State when people stop by.

richard1103
07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
are you a shovel holder or a coffee drinker . man had no pride in his work . have you ever looked at state surplus it is junk when these lazy state are finish with it to lazy to use a string trimmer mow over roots .tax payer will buy them a new one

RedMax Man
07-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Seems most guys who work for the town DPW or state DOT doing maintenance are just lazy bums. Its not their equipment or property so they just do enough to get by and get a pay check without being fired. So many of them are getting kind of old to be doing all the physical work that they do or are way over weight.

I remember seeing this big tough biker guy mowing the grass with Ferris Zero-turn in a public area in the neighborhood. He was treating mower like crap smashing it into a chain link fence, mowing over trash, beer bottles newspaper. then he was going over an curb and got stuck so he just started ripping the mower back and forth because it was hung up. he would just shoot all the clippings and trash into the street. Place looked lousy and they don't care as long as they can cross it off the list and head to the next.

Another time i saw a DPW employee driving a dump truck. the town was removing a tree down the street and was being loaded with the large logs from the tree trunk. He had to get out to move something but was so fat the he had to keep one hand on the truck so he wouldn't fall over. then he couldn't get the drivers door open for some reason even though it was a brand new International truck so he walked all the way around to climb in on the passenger side and crawl across the seat. took at least 10min no kidding to walk around and get inside. He could hardly turn the steering wheel because his stomach was touching it. How do they hire guys like this they're basically useless because they can barely do anything.

Beckham
07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
are you a shovel holder or a coffee drinker . man had no pride in his work . have you ever looked at state surplus it is junk when these lazy state are finish with it to lazy to use a string trimmer mow over roots .tax payer will buy them a new one

Somehow I missed this post when you put it up, must have been out leaning on my shovel and drinking coffee:) :) Actually my knowledge of the workings of state government is quite different. I wasn't totally disagreeing with this post just didn't want every state worker put in a category of a bad employee!:nono: Which was the direction I felt it was going. If you have employees tearing up equipment and whose quality of work is not up to snuff there is another problem somewhere. I would have to point towards a bad foreman or boss! That is one of his responsibilities. We have all had bad days. Just like a LCO you get good ones (employees) and bad ones. One big difference between State and private sector, private can fire a bad employee easier than can state gov. State Gov. employees can be fired you just have to have everything documented a little better that in the private world. If you have that documentation it's out the door!