PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love New Construction!

McKeeLand
07-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Just got done replacing 50tons of soil with 3/4 clean stone. started a small raised patio on friday and we excavated to what we though was a sutibale base. then we started running the compactor on it just started pumping the water and moving like jello. so we started excavating a little further and what do you know, we found 2' of garbage soil the contractor brought the grade up with on the site. i thought we would never find the bottom of it. this had to be the biggest over dig stabilization we ever did. it looked like we where installing a swimming pool, not a patio. could not have done it with out our new 277B though, it was awesome climbing in and out of the hole with all of that muck. luckily the neighbor wanted all of the fill we dug out. wish i had taken pics, but was to stressed about getting it done and over with to stop and get the camera out.

mrusk
07-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Gotta love it! My new construction story involves demoing a concrete front stoop and then installing 14 courses of 12 inch block since you need to go all the way down to basement footings to get to stable ground.

I have another front i am doing that should be a over dig situation. BUT since i have concrete footing already there i am just pouring a slab with a TON of rebar and mortaring my techo quarry stone right to the slab.

forestfireguy
07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
We're about to step into the same pile of s**t, we're doing about 500 square ft of techo walls in a yard that has just been rough graded, I was there the other day while they graded it off, we will have to dig min. 7 ft in spots, they GC had the gravel installed for the driveway, and we will have to tear it all out for the geo-grid requirements of the wall. Oh well lots and lots of extra machine time.

mrusk
07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
I can only imaging what would happen if a hack got one of these jobs.

forestfireguy
07-03-2007, 10:33 PM
I think we all know how that would go.............

Mike33
07-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I wish they would pick up the f***** nails so i dont get them in my loader tires. My peaves are the rough grades where the have the water running in to house instead of away. The other one is around the a/c or heat pump unit on the side of the house, garbage dirt up to base. How do i add my 4-5" of top soil.
MIke

cgland
07-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Matt - Why the hell would you do that? Install as an overdig stabilization, wrap per the detail, install 6" of compacted aggregate, install one burried block per specs. or, you love to throw tons of money away.

Chris

ChampionLS
07-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Overdig or no overdig, I'm having a better feeling of drilling some 1/2" holes into the foundation every two feet and inserting some rebar. The rebar can protrude out into the overdig and help prevent further settling by locking into the foundation. I bet in the near future, a concrete footing will be required as the zoning laws keep being modified.

AztlanLC
07-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Are you actually for real about drilling holes into the foundation?

mrusk
07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Matt - Why the hell would you do that? Install as an overdig stabilization, wrap per the detail, install 6" of compacted aggregate, install one burried block per specs. or, you love to throw tons of money away.

Chris

Which job you talking about? The one stoop is full masonry and builsing inspector made us go down to the basement footings.

The other job is a techo bloc stoop. But i'd have to do a 8 ft over dig to hit virgin soil. Pourin a slab over the existing stoop footings will save me time and $.

cgland
07-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm talking about the masonry job. Why not build as an overdig and pour your frost footer as normal, then bring up with block.

chris

ChampionLS
07-07-2007, 04:22 AM
Are you actually for real about drilling holes into the foundation?

YES. But not all the way through. We've done this before. Drill several 1/2 inch holes into the foundation- about 2" deep. Insert rebar and pour a leveling pad from concrete that will encapsulate the rebar. You can build on top of the leveling pad- same as with a aggregate one. The rebar will tie your work into the house with a less chance of settling. We've mainly done this when installing railings. Retaining wall blocks can only handle so much lateral force when a railing is installed. The blocks can still flip up if enough people were to lean against it. We've embedded rebar down into walls and/or secured to foundations for extra support.

D Felix
07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
If you are actually drilling holes in the foundation, you are wasting your time. However, I suspect that you are drilling into a basement wall, which is NOT the foundation. If the house is on a crawl, just dig the extra foot or two and find the foundation.

I'm not sure about what you've described for houses with a basement. It might work for a time, but you are still subjecting the concrete pad to the settling below. Drilling holes in the basement wall and pouring concrete is just going to make it that much harder to fix the problem in 3-5 years. Not to mention you are running the risk of cracking the wall when things do settle.... For the cost of calling a redi-mix truck for mud, you might as well do a proper overdig stabilization..........

I've done something similiar to what you described, but I had no other choice- there was no foundation to pour onto, only a lintel and I tied (with both rebar and mud) our pour into the masonry block sitting on the lintel by filling the cores and pouring over the top of them.

AztlanLC
07-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Well my concern is that a structure that moves differently from the other depending in weather conditions will cause some damage.