PDA

View Full Version : Used Pavers

forestfireguy
07-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Ok guys this one is a bit odd. We already did the job but I am curious what you might have done differently. We were approached by an owner of a home that had just moved in, the home is 5 yrs old and was a foreclosure. Apparently when the bank owned it they had the paver driveway removed stating it would never sell. Anyway they pavers never left the property and sat for about 18 months, they new owners wanted a patio made of this material. It was about 14 loosley stacked pallets, we priced it as we ussually would minus materials. The issue came up when we tried to use the pavers, many were warped, some just started falling apart as soon as the compactor hit them to set them in, so we ended up with about 3 full pallets of junk.......anyway if you ever get a job like this be prepared..........

ChampionLS
07-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Wow!.. first of all, if the pavers were already down, why would somebody take them up?? thats crazy. If they broke that easily, doesn't sound like they are pavers. Probably soft building brick. Real Concrete Pavers will never warp.

Big M LawnnSnow
07-04-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm guessing thats why the bank had them taken out.

Woodland
07-04-2007, 07:32 AM
I am always super cautious when using product purchased or supplied by the homeowner for just that reason. The only thing I would have done differently, that you may have done in fact, was to carefully inspect the old pavers for their condition AND explain to the homeowner that there may be quality problems with the pavers and they are taking that responsibility, not you AND NO GUARANTEE.

I just finished installing a small walkway using 16x16 pavers that the homeowner purchased themself at a "discount chain store". The client was the aunt to a friend of a friend. Unfortunately, the friend and his friend are both finish carpenters so I assumed (wrongly of course) that the woman knew quality work and materials and this would be a good project. Now I just hope she doesn't call me in 6 months when the pavers are cracking or falling apart from the elements. During installation I had to carefully set each paver onto an absolutely flat, pretamped setting bed so they wouldn't snap into pieces.