PDA

View Full Version : 8 hour work days too hard? atleast for me

privatelawn
07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I added a third guy this week so that I can take off July 4th and 5th, after 4 hours of work we had done 25 lawns, at the 5th hour I gave up, temperature was like 95.

I see some of the guys here say they work 13-14 hours a day, is it constant work?

I could have continued working but I guess knowing I was ahead of schedule made me give up early, the other 2 guys were also beat.

Stuttering Stan
07-03-2007, 11:01 PM
IMO, people who work 10, 11, 12 hr days don't enjoy life. I work as little as possible so I can get home and watch my kid grow up. Right now I work about 30 hr week. I make enough to pay the bills, live comfortably, and enjoy life. Besides, I hate the heat of the summer (another reason not to work too much)

Palmer'sLS
07-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I am up at 5am...on lawn #1 at 615...back the truck in the drive around 630 pm...stop for lunch and fuel once..get about 16 yards done a day with one helper...no city yards here...open country:walking:

Im 18, and after about a month or two of this, you can still feel it wearing down...but its nice to know at the end of the day, you put a full day in , ya know?

gilatplc
07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I have to say, in this Florida heat some days it is really hard to work 8 full hours out there. This is why on certain route I have added a helper this year there just no way to do the quality job and all they account needed in one day just by my self when he heat is ON!

carcrz
07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I work 8 hours 2 days a week & then 5 AM to dark 2 days a week. Monday is my spare day in case there is rain in the forecast, holiday, or a vacation.

lawnman_scott
07-04-2007, 12:42 AM
If you cant handel 8 hours maybe your in the wrong business.

S.A.L.
07-04-2007, 12:46 AM
I try to work smart rather than hard. Anything beyond 8 hours is hard. It rarely happens.

privatelawn
07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Depends if your plan is to continue to mow forever

Soon I will have the employees do the hard labor.

If you cant handel 8 hours maybe your in the wrong business.

KrayzKajun
07-04-2007, 12:49 AM
I guess after spending 18 deployed in Iraq carrying 100pounds of equipment every day the heat during the summer doesnt bother me.I 'll cut all day and im solo, Sittin in my office all day settin up accounts and schedules drives me insane!

privatelawn
07-04-2007, 12:53 AM
I may need to start eatting healthier, I go through a day, 2 packs of cigarettes and 2- 12 packs of pepsi, no food until I get home, today I tried powerade instead, never liked gatorade/powerade but I just have to try stay away from all this pepsi

KrayzKajun
07-04-2007, 01:00 AM
I may need to start eatting healthier, I go through a day, 2 packs of cigarettes and 2- 12 packs of pepsi, no food until I get home, today I tried powerade instead, never liked gatorade/powerade but I just have to try stay away from all this pepsi

Yea i would ditch the cigarettes and the pepsi!

coonman
07-04-2007, 01:08 AM

Please tell me your kidding. Thats a sure fire recipe for disaster. All the other guys that have trouble working 8 hrs in the heat, you might want to reconsider your chosen profession. Personally, I love to get out and sweat. Now if I had to do this in the winter, NO WAY.

LeviEdge
07-04-2007, 01:12 AM
As long as your making money and staying ahead you can work however much you want. Isn't that the point of being self employed? Even when I kick off early I still end up working on something.

greenscapes,inc.
07-04-2007, 02:10 AM
8 Hours is a cake walk!! Come on guys... Drink a lot of water and you will be ok. It takes me while to get used to it but after about a week of long hot days than everything get easier.

MeadowsLawnCare
07-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Its up to you, the more you work the more profit potential you will have. But you have to balance your life out as well. Thats why goals are excellent for your business plan. If you are hitting your goal and satisfied with only 30hrs a week do it, enjoy more life.

Grits
07-04-2007, 04:17 AM
That's the nice thing about working for yourself. If you are making enough money to do what you need to do, then work as many or as few hours as you want. It isn't written anywhere that I know of that you have to work 40, 60, or 80 hours a week. Do what you want, it's your business and your life. Nobody has the right to say how many hours you should work.

satireirony
07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I respect a man who works 12-14-16 hour days in one way, and I respect a man who limits himself to less than 8 in another way.

Both, in a sense, are heroic - bucking the norm in order to do what they want.

Scagguy
07-04-2007, 08:30 AM

Well, duh.... no wonder you're tired after 4 hours.

MOturkey
07-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Well, I got up yesterday morning at 2:15 AM, and was at work by 3:15. Ran a wholesale milk route for about 11 hours, went home, grabbed the trailer, and mowed until it got too dark to see to trim last night (about 9:00 PM). Getting ready to change blades on the mower and head out this morning for probably 8-10 hours of mowing, trying to get caught up after all the rain. Then, will be up again tomorrow morning at 2:15 again. Oh, and I'm 56. If you are pooped after 5 hours, better look for an office job.:)

mattfromNY
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
What is an 8 hour day? Arent there 3, 8 hours in a day? I grew up working on a farm. Enough said.

delphied
07-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Try iced tea or just water. Nobody works a constant 12 hour day. They ride from job to job and that isnt working. If you do 25 lawns in 5 hours you did good.

Littleriver1
07-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I used to do all that. Now it is out of the house at 9 back by 4.

T Total Lawncare
07-04-2007, 01:36 PM
For all you family men out there working 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week remember this. After you get old and die it will bring no comfort to your family to read HERE LIES HUSBAND, FATHER AND GRANDFATHER. HE WAS A HARD WORKING MAN. HIS MOWER WAS HIS LIFE. 1940-2015 As i've heard so many times it's not when you start or end life that is important, It's what you do with the - between the dates that is.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Try iced tea or just water. Nobody works a constant 12 hour day. They ride from job to job and that isnt working. If you do 25 lawns in 5 hours you did good.

Are these yards postage stamp size and are they right next to one another ? Do you have a crew also ?

mattfromNY
07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Total, your post reminds me of my grandfathers' life.
My grandfather came here from Germany, very broke. Started a business (2, actually) at a young age, my mother recalls her, her 3 siblings and her parents all in the front seat of a pickup truck, to travel. They had very little, and had to compromise lots of things just to make ends meet. My grandfather busted is A$$, became Extremely wealthy, multi-millionaire, then when my grandmas health failed, spent all his money to keep her alive, then they both died extremely broke.
It is very ironic, b/c he started out very poor, and died very poor, but he lived each day to the fullest, and he actually had a pretty good life. Whenever anyone recalls my grandfather, they think of him working at his business, and how he helped people, and was such a nice man.

JohnsonLawn
07-04-2007, 02:05 PM
I am usually out the door at 8am and back by 5pm and try not to work weekends. I put my 2 small kids on the bus most mornings and have supper with the family at night. To me, weekends are family time. My last full time job had me working all crazy hours and I missed ALOT with the kids, but there is no way that is gonna happen anymore. Life is too damn short!

PJ Wright
07-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I've NEVER heard of anyone on their deathbed saying; "I wish I had worked more".

privatelawn
07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Yeah there all pretty much 1/8 acre lots, I had 2 guys with me as I was trying to knock out 40 lawns for the day so I wouldent have to be behind with july 4th.

I timed 6 homes that were close to each other, edge, trim, blow & mow on these 6 was 45 minutes, 4 hours did 25, fifth hour did 3 before I quit

Im just 29 and about 140lbs, My previous jobs were high labor warehouse jobs and ive worked 20hrs in a row.

Im thinking I may be just working too fast and exhausting myself to quick

Are these yards postage stamp size and are they right next to one another ? Do you have a crew also ?

traman
07-04-2007, 09:08 PM
so let me get this straight .the average guy works 40hr per week and about 50weeks a year,so thats 2000 hrs a year . most lawn guys work 26 to 42 weeks per year and for sake of argument work 40hrs a week,so thats 1040hrs to 1680 hrs of work a year . man how can ya stand it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hess
07-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I start at 10.00am don't stop till 5:00pm go home eat supper see my kids and back at it at 10:00am Tuesday through Friday.

coonman
07-04-2007, 09:45 PM
so let me get this straight .the average guy works 40hr per week and about 50weeks a year,so thats 2000 hrs a year . most lawn guys work 26 to 42 weeks per year and for sake of argument work 40hrs a week,so thats 1040hrs to 1680 hrs of work a year . man how can ya stand it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would say most guys here probably work full time in the winter at something. But even if I did not, I would not want April-October to be nothing but work, no family time, no going to the gym, no going out to dinner, etc. Those months would just be life lost in my opinion if you were working 14 hours a day.

JohnsonLawn
07-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I would say most guys here probably work full time in the winter at something. But even if I did not, I would not want April-October to be nothing but work, no family time, no going to the gym, no going out to dinner, etc. Those months would just be life lost in my opinion if you were working 14 hours a day.

Agreed, well said!

SpartanBill
07-04-2007, 10:39 PM
There's a lot of way to look at it, Bottom line is that you get out what you put in. If you are established or have other sources of income and can covers your bills on 20hrs a week, congrats, spend some time with the kids,wife, bike, sports what ever you do. If you want to build up your business and grow you'll prolly need a couple more hrs a week. I don;t think Bill Gates and Trump were calling it a week at noon on Wednesdays back in the 80's. Right now I'm doing (2) 4hr days & (2) 8hr days. Iwould love to be doing (4) 10hrs. and call it a week, just need more accounts.

As far as being bushed after 5 hrs. Like others have said "Work smarter, not harder". The cigs and the soda arn't helping either. After 13 yrs installing landscapes (7AM-630PM)chasing a mower or riding on one is a cakewalk.

cpel2004
07-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Man that soda puts weight on you. I switched to diet Dr. Pepper, only one a day.

ericakabob
07-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Just my lawn co.

My step father and I started our business 8 years ago. We started doing 12+ hour days with two push mowers. Now we got all the nice stuff but still work 12+ hour days alot. Frank (my step dad) had a heart atack (age 28) so we both stopped smoking and drinking soda. We will both get a sweet tea now and then and can appreciate the taste since we drink nearly all water. To help him I now do all the ground work and let him do all the mowing (zero turn) and we make it though the day. But I thaink if I still smoked and drank soda it would be much harder to keep up with him all day. by the way we work 6/7 days a week. To help us mentally we have built a drag car so we have the mind set that we are mowing each yard for a part for it.

Envy Lawn Service
07-05-2007, 02:01 AM
I respect a man who works 12-14-16 hour days in one way, and I respect a man who limits himself to less than 8 in another way.

Both, in a sense, are heroic - bucking the norm in order to do what they want.

I'd have to agree with that on this thread....

The way I see it, either way it's about sacrifice.

I guess the same can be said for knocking off early because it's 95 out...

On one hand, that's totally wimping out. They should try a truly hot job like paving, roofing or a rubber factory for a week... etc.

But on the other hand, maybe it's wise not to kill yourself day after day in 95 degree weather, and maybe it's wise not to pull more than 8 hours in a day.

Myself, I think working my butt off and over doing it has made me old before my time, and I would like to have back some of those hours now. But there again, it's about sacrifice.

sheshovel
07-05-2007, 02:35 AM

In that statement alone lies your problem. BINGO!! Com'on this is just real real bad. Soda (ice tea as well) dehydrates you badly when working, especially in that heat. You cannot replace your bodily fluids that way at all. You really putting your body at a huge risk here for severe dehydration and heat exhaustion. Drink water AND Gatoraid.
If you have time to smoke that much you must be slacking or smoking as you work.

No reason to smoke that much. If you smoke make it once on your break or lunch. You are depleting your body of needed oxygen period!
Heart attack risk and don't think you are too young for one either!
You also have to eat, at least something in the morning and something light at lunch. Are you trying to kill yourself or what?
Stop with the stupidity and get with the program. Jeeeze no wonder you can't work 8 hours at 29 years old.
Hell, I know a 52 year old who can work circles around you and me too at 49 and female.
That is balls to the walls 8 full hours dude. Get out there early and get in early from the heat. It's 103 here!
Gimmie a break!

Albemarle Lawn
07-05-2007, 03:07 AM
This is Gunnery Sargeant Albemarle and I am your senior drill instuctor.

From now on you're Gomer Pyle.

Private Pyle you are one scrawny sack of schitt.

You will work 14 hours a day minimum.

95 degrees is cool in Florida.

You will not smoke, you will not drink soda. You will learn by the numbers for I will teach you.

You will not laugh.

You will not cry.

I'm not here to be your friend I'm here to save your life.

You filthy maggot cut the crap and get to work or you will wind up living in a shack!:hammerhead:

sheshovel
07-05-2007, 03:26 AM
OOOOOO will you be my drill instructor too?

swingset
07-05-2007, 07:36 AM
In that statement alone lies your problem. BINGO!! Com'on this is just real real bad. Soda (ice tea as well) dehydrates you badly when working, especially in that heat. You cannot replace your bodily fluids that way at all.

Medically 100% incorrect.

Soda nor ice tea will dehydrate you. It's a popular myth, but it's wrong. There's actually some data to show that regular caffeine drinkers retain MORE water from those beverages than non-regular folks. It turns out your body gets the same amount of water from soda as it does from plain water.

Here is the conclusion of a study in the Journal of American College
of Nutrition, “The Effect of Caffeinated, Non-Caffeinated, Caloric and Non-Caloric Beverages on Hydration”. The study was overseen by Ann C. Grandjean, EdD, FACN, CNS, Kristin J. Reimers, RD, MS, Karen E. Bannick, MA, and Mary C. Haven, MS, The Center for Human Nutrition, (A.C.G., K.J.R.), School of Allied Health Professions, University of Nebraska Medical Center,
(M.C.H.), Omaha, Nebraska, Bannick Consulting, Isle, Minnesota (K.E.B.)

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/reprint/19/5/591.pdf

bohiaa
07-05-2007, 09:26 AM
I added a third guy this week so that I can take off July 4th and 5th, after 4 hours of work we had done 25 lawns, at the 5th hour I gave up, temperature was like 95.

I see some of the guys here say they work 13-14 hours a day, is it constant work?

I could have continued working but I guess knowing I was ahead of schedule made me give up early, the other 2 guys were also beat.

I hear ya, I'm getting older now and the heat is getting harder and harder on me

swingset
07-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm the same way, the heat is getting to me more than when I was younger.

I've adopted a "Mexican Siesta" approach to the ultra hot days. I do some lawns early in the day, and by noon I quit, eat some lunch, then head back to the shop for a few hours to do some maintenance, play with the kid, jump in the pool, then head back out in the late day and go until 7:30 or 8. I only get about 8 hours on the day, but it feels like I'm only doing 4 at a time which is really easy on me.

I'm a solo and not killing myself to live on my accounts, but even so I'm doing well with it and it's made the job very enjoyable.

mini14
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
im 38 been doen 10-12 hr. days 6 days a week for past 21 years, nothen is going to stop me from doen it...am i tired, yeah, its just starting to get me physically, joint pain, feet hurt,but i figure i can put in at least another 10 yrs before i have to ease it to an 8 hr. day. its just my work ethic, i take on a lot of work every year and try as hard as i can to fit it in to make the $$$$$ each year my numbers go up....not down, never....

qualitylandscaping
07-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Just got payroll checks in for the last two weeks..

I clocked : 287.5hrs for 2 weeks

General Operations Mgr: 234.25hrs

highest maintenance foreman: 212.00hrs

highest landscape foreman: 204.25hrs

average of the laborers: 175.6552hrs

I work about 20hrs a day. I'm up at 4:30am and don't go to bed until around or alittle after midnight or 1am. Foreman come in around 6am. Spend the first 2 1/2hrs getting the routes together for the day. 6am meeting. laborers come in 6:30. Trucks leave the shop around 6:45. We are out working with no more than a 1/2 total break during the day. Back when route has been completed (8:00-11:00pm). Spend the rest of my night billing for the work that was done that day, cleaning up route schedules, etc. Fit dinner in occasionally.

I want to be the biggest in NY State. We are almost the largest in Rochester at this point, and I'm not planning on slowing down until I reach #1.

GreenT
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
clocked : 287.5hrs for 2 weeks

Sounds like a good epitaph.

twj721
07-05-2007, 10:24 PM
I guess am a slacker I do 3 or 4 and try quit by noon then go back out around 6 PM and do 1 more Not going to kill my self over cutting some one grass Life is too short to try to end it early by overworking yourself And besides ther is always tomorrow

1MajorTom
07-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I guess am a slacker I do 3 or 4 and try quit by noon then go back out around 6 PM and do 1 more Not going to kill my self over cutting some one grass Life is too short to try to end it early by overworking yourself And besides ther is always tomorrow
I'm just wondering if you have another job besides "grass cutting"?

twj721
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm just wondering if you have another job besides "grass cutting"?
Drive a school bus when school is going but get paid year round and domestic engineer is my other full time job my wife is the wage earner as she is in the nursing field working as a home health RN . So I am just the house husband :laugh: :cool2:

DLCS
07-05-2007, 10:44 PM

General Operations Mgr: 234.25hrs

highest maintenance foreman: 212.00hrs

highest landscape foreman: 204.25hrs

average of the laborers: 175.6552hrs

I work about 20hrs a day. I'm up at 4:30am and don't go to bed until around or alittle after midnight or 1am. Foreman come in around 6am. Spend the first 2 1/2hrs getting the routes together for the day. 6am meeting. laborers come in 6:30. Trucks leave the shop around 6:45. We are out working with no more than a 1/2 total break during the day. Back when route has been completed (8:00-11:00pm). Spend the rest of my night billing for the work that was done that day, cleaning up route schedules, etc. Fit dinner in occasionally.

I want to be the biggest in NY State. We are almost the largest in Rochester at this point, and I'm not planning on slowing down until I reach #1.

What the biggest liar in New York state. 20 hrs a day 7 days a week and you found time to post on lawnsite?

shovelracer
07-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Working 6 hours or 16 hours is all the same around here. If I work 6 you better believe there will be 10 more hours of paperwork, estimates, or meetings. If I work 16 then that stuff waits till the next 6 hour day. On average all my guys work 10 hour days. After you've done 8 the last 2 are nothing. Heck, 2 hours a day extra at $110/hr average makes me an extra 35K that allows me to pay the business expenses over the 3-4 month winter months were the income isnt steady. I'd rather do that than have to go to making $9.00/hr at the local home improvement store or freezing my bones working carpentry when its zero degrees out. $0.02

1MajorTom
07-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Drive a school bus when school is going but get paid year round and domestic engineer is my other full time job my wife is the wage earner as she is in the nursing field working as a home health RN . So I am just the house husband :laugh: :cool2:
That's why can have that attitude about there is always tomorrow. Nothing wrong with it, but when you have other incomes, you can think like that.
Now when it comes to your bus driving gig, do you have that same attitude?

SpartanBill
07-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I want to be the biggest in NY State. We are almost the largest in Rochester at this point, and I'm not planning on slowing down until I reach #1.[/QUOTE]

Biggest What? Size--Good Chance

Quality--Maybe

Profit Margin--Doubt It

Just wondering if it's worth is to work 143.5 outta 168hrs. I'm down with a good 50-55hrs week in - week out, but dude!!!

I'd rather have a couple pints of Guinness
Than a couple pitchers of Busch:drinkup:

Roger
07-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I think this thread has deteriorated as posts are being added. It reminds me of threads that ask "How much do you make?" Those threads are also "throw-away" in nature, not adding anything in the way of meaningful information.

qualitylandscaping
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
What the biggest liar in New York state. 20 hrs a day 7 days a week and you found time to post on lawnsite?

First post in almost 3 months... Got done at 8pm today... Had a PM with a phone number I needed to get, and thought I would look around...

Seems like you have enough time on your hands to hunt down every post I make, and come up with something stupid in reply to it..

Get a life clown

qualitylandscaping
07-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Actually drinking Harp right now.. Could be considered Guinness?! lol

Biggest What? Size--Good Chance

Quality--Maybe

Profit Margin--Doubt It

Just wondering if it's worth is to work 143.5 outta 168hrs. I'm down with a good 50-55hrs week in - week out, but dude!!!

I'd rather have a couple pints of Guinness
Than a couple pitchers of Busch:drinkup:[/QUOTE]

Scagguy
07-06-2007, 12:44 AM
287.5 hours in 2 weeks out of a total of 336 hours = 85% of your time working. That leaves 48.5 hours for the 2 week period for sleep, eating, showers, etc which works out to just under 3.5 hours a day for those tasks. I could care less about being number 1 in sales or the largest LCO in Austin. What I do care about is the quality of work we do, and more importantly the quality of time I spent with my family. Running your people into the ground like you are doing, your qualty of work is suffering and you have no time for your family....if you have one.

DLCS
07-06-2007, 02:16 AM
First post in almost 3 months... Got done at 8pm today... Had a PM with a phone number I needed to get, and thought I would look around...

Seems like you have enough time on your hands to hunt down every post I make, and come up with something stupid in reply to it..

Get a life clown

Your the one who needs a life. Only stupid posts are the ones you make with such lies. I see you started another company, 'the Steve kreiger Transportation Group" let see some pics of all the transportation. I'm still waiting for pics of all your forestry equipment and I'm not talking about the pics copied from John Deere's website. Remeber that ignorant post you made on plowsite.

DLCS
07-06-2007, 02:18 AM
287.5 hours in 2 weeks out of a total of 336 hours = 85% of your time working. That leaves 48.5 hours for the 2 week period for sleep, eating, showers, etc which works out to just under 3.5 hours a day for those tasks. I could care less about being number 1 in sales or the largest LCO in Austin. What I do care about is the quality of work we do, and more importantly the quality of time I spent with my family. Running your people into the ground like you are doing, your qualty of work is suffering and you have no time for your family....if you have one.

Seriously, if he was working himself and his employees that many hours. Don't you think it would be wise to hire more help? How productive is a employee working that many hrs a week, not too mention safe.

BobcatZT
07-06-2007, 03:03 AM

This is the second post I have read from you.......

I am thinking you are full of horse puckey.

287.5 hours or roughly 144 per week? And less then 4 hours for sleeping, eating, and other daily tasks? Give me a break. Even if you could actually do that, you won't do it very long.......or live long for that matter.

Yeah, 2 posts from you is enough for me.:rolleyes:

sheshovel
07-06-2007, 09:04 AM

Soda nor ice tea will dehydrate you. It's a popular myth, but it's wrong. There's actually some data to show that regular caffeine drinkers retain MORE water from those beverages than non-regular folks. It turns out your body gets the same amount of water from soda as it does from plain water.

of Nutrition, “The Effect of Caffeinated, Non-Caffeinated, Caloric and Non-Caloric Beverages on Hydration”. The study was overseen by Ann C. Grandjean, EdD, FACN, CNS, Kristin J. Reimers, RD, MS, Karen E. Bannick, MA, and Mary C. Haven, MS, The Center for Human Nutrition, (A.C.G., K.J.R.), School of Allied Health Professions, University of Nebraska Medical Center,

I will read this study, however it is a proven fact that caffeine is a diuretic and can accentuate the symptoms of fluid loss in the body. Also sodas have a higher concentration of sugar than bodily fluids and so the body attemtps to dilute that sugar causing water loss to other parts of the body. If is is a "myth" then why don't you ever see athletes drinking sodas and ice teas?
Ever see a marathon runner or a football player chugging sodas?

Ok I read it and suggest you read it too before using it in the context that you attempted to use it in here. This study was done on "free living" adults NOT under the strain of athletic activity or heavy work. It was also all about whether or not sodas and caffeinated beverages should be EXCLUDED completely when counting fluid intake. It was NOT about using them as the only fluid intake you have all day long. Suggest you read it again.

KTO Enterprises
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Your the one who needs a life. Only stupid posts are the ones you make with such lies. I see you started another company, 'the Steve kreiger Transportation Group" let see some pics of all the transportation. I'm still waiting for pics of all your forestry equipment and I'm not talking about the pics copied from John Deere's website. Remeber that ignorant post you made on plowsite.

I was going to hammer him on the hourage he said he has worked. But you beat me to it. I think he is as full of **** as a christmas turkey.

qualitylandscaping
07-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Should I post a partial copy of our payroll statement? Sure.. Can't post the whole page b/c it has alot of their personal information on it. And I don't care about proving myself that much, to give that away.

One of my Maintenance Foreman...

212.75 regular hours

30 overtime hours

thats two weeks....

I'm not lying kids

HOOLIE
07-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Should I post a partial copy of our payroll statement? Sure.. Can't post the whole page b/c it has alot of their personal information on it. And I don't care about proving myself that much, to give that away.

One of my Maintenance Foreman...

212.75 regular hours

30 overtime hours

thats two weeks....

I'm not lying kids

How do you determine when OT kicks in??? After 106 hours in one week?

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 09:25 PM
So he works 15 hours a day ?? 7 days week ? 7 days X 15 Hours a day is 105 hours X 2 weeks is 210 hours .??? Do you guys work at night to . Not tryin to be a smarty just want to know ?

qualitylandscaping
07-06-2007, 09:49 PM
I have 3 foreman (2 mowing, 1 landscape). Each foreman has 4 trucks and its equipment that they are responsible for. This means after each crew has returned to the shop for the day, that foreman must look over each truck (check oil, tire pressure, look for any damage, etc), and also perform the same checks on either the mowing equipment or the landscape equipment. This takes each of them about 2 hours every night. If they return to the shop at 9pm, it may be 11pm before they are done checking things over. The time adds up quick.

We have 14 trucks on the road. I said above each foreman is responsible for 4 trucks = 12. I take care of my own, and our ops. mgr. takes care of his own.

As far as overtime pay. All of my guys get overtime pay on Saturdays or Sundays. Foreman and my operations mgr. get paid for travel time to and from their residence each day. Hours that high are not a common thing. We work 100+ hour weeks from May- end of June. They have slowed down now to about 80hrs a week. Last foreman is just finishing up for tonight (they got back at 7:30).

Some of the guys do work nights also. I have a truck or sometimes two in the adirondacks for a good part of the week mowing a campground/horse farm. They leave on Monday AM and return Friday PM. They are paid drive time, meals, and labor hours. They drag up a few tents, and the camping is provided to us for free.

Have posted one of my fm's payroll stubs.

HOOLIE
07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
That's not how OT works...I think you know that too.

qualitylandscaping
07-06-2007, 10:02 PM
That's not how OT works...I think you know that too.

Its seasonal employment. By NYS law, I am not required to pay overtime, only on Holidays.

JohnsonLawn
07-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Working that many hours I would be divorced in no time! She loves the money, but she likes having me around for family time more. At least that is what she tells me:laugh:

qualitylandscaping
07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Working that many hours I would be divorced in no time! She loves the money, but she likes having me around for family time more. At least that is what she tells me:laugh:

I don't even have a girl friend anymore. She left me because I work too much.

To be honest, I would rather work. I live evey second of my day, loving what I do. I want to find someone who likes the same things in life. Working hard for what you want.

I come home tired after a 16hr day in the field, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Most of my guys are the same way. 5 have turf or horticulture degrees and love what they are doing. Thats why they can put up with the extreme hours.

qualitylandscaping
07-06-2007, 10:37 PM

If I did have a family, without any doubt they would certainly come first. I would really like to have a wife and kids some day, just don't know if I could handle it right now.

KTO Enterprises
07-06-2007, 10:43 PM
This clown is the same one that says his guys cut almost 20 acres in an hour and a half with 2 72 inch dixie chopper, including trimming and blowing.

JohnsonLawn
07-06-2007, 10:45 PM
If I did have a family, without any doubt they would certainly come first. I would really like to have a wife and kids some day, just don't know if I could handle it right now.

I have a wife, 2 girls, a son and my second son due in August. After working a 10 hour day in the field they meet me at the door yelling "Daddy's home, Daddy's home. I wouldn't change THAT for anything in the world. My mother worked her a$$ off as a waitress working 16 hour days and retired in Dec. of 2000 to spend more time with her grandchildren and finally live a little. She died on April 20, 2001, 4 months after retiring. Life is to damn short!

qualitylandscaping
07-06-2007, 11:14 PM
This clown is the same one that says his guys cut almost 20 acres in an hour and a half with 2 72 inch dixie chopper, including trimming and blowing.

You sir have apparently never run a DC. I see from your equipment list you have two little twinky sized Scags. How do you even know what a DC is capable of mowing per hour?? Let alone a 72" mower.

Flat lawn, 10 minutes of trimming per laborer, 3 minutes blowing per laborer.

9.5 acres of mowing in 1.25hrs per laborer..

2007 XT3300-72's.... Dixie Choppers website specs say they can mow 9 acres per hour... hmm 9.5 isn't unreasonble in an hour and fifteen minutes...

You need to step off you soap box, before you fall off it..........:hammerhead:

Grits
07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
You sir have apparently never run a DC. I see from your equipment list you have two little twinky sized Scags. How do you even know what a DC is capable of mowing per hour?? Let alone a 72" mower.

2007 XT3300-72's.... Dixie Choppers website specs say they can mow 9 acres per hour... hmm 9.5 isn't unreasonble in an hour and fifteen minutes...

I don't understand why everyone is bashing this guy. Sure, his claims are a little hard to believe, but he did show a pay-stub. He is a work-aholic and seems to employee work-aholics....nothing wrong with that. If choosing to work like that is what he enjoys, then more power to him. There is nothing wrong with choosing to have a crazy-ass work life instead of a family life. He sounds like he knows what he is doing.

DLCS
07-06-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't understand why everyone is bashing this guy. Sure, his claims are a little hard to believe, but he did show a pay-stub. He is a work-aholic and seems to employee work-aholics....nothing wrong with that. If choosing to work like that is what he enjoys, then more power to him. There is nothing wrong with choosing to have a crazy-ass work life instead of a family life. He sounds like he knows what he is doing.

You need to read some of his old posts. 2 years ago he had one truck a Ford ranger with a ztr. Now he is the biggest in NY state.:rolleyes: Go over to plowsite more good laughs over there with tall tales. I believe he got his first plow 3 years ago and last year he was plowing the whole state of New York. Lets see, Steve has a trucking company. lawn/landscape company, logging comnpany. He talks about all his trucks but never can come up with more than one truck in a picture. Look at his website, some pics copied directly off JD website and calling them his own.

DLCS
07-07-2007, 12:04 AM

Ok blowhard let see some of YOUR pics of your Dixie Choppers. I'm sure if you really did have a operation like you say that you do, you would have pics to post. Oh and don't give us the excuse that its scatered all over New York and can't get pics.

qualitylandscaping
07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
You need to read some of his old posts. 2 years ago he had one truck a Ford ranger with a ztr. Now he is the biggest in NY state.:rolleyes: Go over to plowsite more good laughs over there with tall tales. I believe he got his first plow 3 years ago and last year he was plowing the whole state of New York. Lets see, Steve has a trucking company. lawn/landscape company, logging comnpany. He talks about all his trucks but never can come up with more than one truck in a picture. Look at his website, some pics copied directly off JD website and calling them his own.

Hmm... seems like what I'm proving right now makes me bigger than you... And it's not even 1/4 of my equipment...

You're jealous and thats why I get the constant bashing but don't worry, it's ok. I understand...;) Btw- I had the ranger with one ZTR 5 years ago, not 2...

I'm the biggest in NY state?? I think the comment I made that started this whole thing, was I had the goal to be the biggest.. Never made any comment or suggestion indicating that I already am the biggest.

crab
07-07-2007, 12:28 AM
how many people work for you?

DLCS
07-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Nope still doesn't prove anything. Let see the names on the sides of the trucks. You have posted pics of others before. why no side shot? No jealousy here, I just like to call out the BSers.

qualitylandscaping
07-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Ok blowhard let see some of YOUR pics of your Dixie Choppers. I'm sure if you really did have a operation like you say that you do, you would have pics to post. Oh and don't give us the excuse that its scatered all over New York and can't get pics.

Here you go sugar pie, fresh off the camera... I even wrote you a little note to go along with your picture...

Can't believe I just walked out there to do that for you.... I am nuts

qualitylandscaping
07-07-2007, 12:41 AM
how many people work for you?

14-25 depending on time of year.. Right now 21..

DLCS
07-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Here you go sugar pie, fresh off the camera... I even wrote you a little note to go along with your picture...

Can't believe I just walked out there to do that for you.... I am nuts

....and you didn't take pics of all the others? What a wasted trip.:dizzy:

qualitylandscaping
07-07-2007, 12:45 AM
....and you didn't take pics of all the others? What a wasted trip.:dizzy:

This is whats inside now.. The rest are still on the trailers..

twj721
07-07-2007, 12:45 AM
QUOTE=qualitylandscaping;1888438]Hmm... seems like what I'm proving right now makes me bigger than you... And it's not even 1/4 of my equipment...

You're jealous and thats why I get the constant bashing but don't worry, it's ok. I understand...;) Btw- I had the ranger with one ZTR 5 years ago, not 2...

I'm the biggest in NY state?? I think the comment I made that started this whole thing, was I had the goal to be the biggest.. Never made any comment or suggestion indicating that I already am the biggest.[/QUOTE]

WHAt is there to be jealous of ? I dont see anything that is worth being jealous of, sure not working day and night for what ? Not me hell life is too short as it is let alone kill yourself working those kind of hrs / if he is working that many the man is just nuckin futs

qualitylandscaping
07-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Nope still doesn't prove anything. Let see the names on the sides of the trucks. You have posted pics of others before. why no side shot? No jealousy here, I just like to call out the BSers.

Sorry about that turf ball, my apologies for not posting the correct photo angle...

DLCS
07-07-2007, 12:53 AM
QUOTE=qualitylandscaping;1888438]
WHAt is there to be jealous of ? I dont see anything that is worth being jealous of, sure not working day and night for what ? Not me hell life is too short as it is let alone kill yourself working those kind of hrs / if he is working that many the man is just nuckin futs

Exactly, and if you have to work that many hours can't you afford to hire more help?

Funny thing about Steve is that every post he makes, he is always trying to prove himself. I could careless about proving myself to anyone here. :laugh:

DLCS
07-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Sorry about that turf ball, my apologies for not posting the correct photo angle...

Ok Steve, so now we see the lettering on the same truck thats in every photo. What about the rest?:)

qualitylandscaping
07-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Exactly, and if you have to work that many hours can't you afford to hire more help?

Funny thing about Steve is that every post he makes, he is always trying to prove himself. I could careless about proving myself to anyone here. :laugh:

I would love to find more help... Nobody wants to work anymore.. I hired 20 new guys this year, and 9 of them didn't last a week. That was before the crazy hours started.

I don't like letting people bash me down. So I'll keep proving myself, so you might look alittle more like an idiot with every post you make. Or possibly, I might just have some fun.

1MajorTom
07-07-2007, 01:14 AM
I believe this thread is getting away from the original topic.
If the guy that works 23 hours a day wants to post pictures, how bout starting your own thread in the picture forum.
thank you

sheshovel
07-07-2007, 04:54 AM
He was challenged by another member to post up those pics. For him to have done that in a seperate thread would have diluted his rise to the challenge in this thread. Better to have suggested the challenger start his own thread and challenge the picture poster there.

lawncarepros2004
07-07-2007, 11:07 AM
:dizzy: I may need to start eatting healthier, I go through a day, 2 packs of cigarettes and 2- 12 packs of pepsi, no food until I get home, today I tried powerade instead, never liked gatorade/powerade but I just have to try stay away from all this pepsi
24 pops and lots of rettes doesn't work huh? Can you post a photo of yourself? I'd recommend getting a keg of pepsi and keeping it chilled in the back of the rig with a hose running up front to you in cab. Another bit of advice would be to get a water pipe for all that smoke to help out the lungs. My only question is, Why haven't you tried smokeless tobacco or perhaps crank?

privatelawn
07-07-2007, 01:30 PM
The last 7 years I spent working at home from my laptop with a small refrigerator next to me always full of pepsi, I used to buy 50- 12 packs at a time, I pretty much dont drink anything else, no water , no milk, no coffee...

Im sure pepsi is not good for me but ohh well, Ive seen guys drink pretty much coffee all day, not much of a difference.

I wont post a picture of me but I can tell you ive been skinny alll my life and so are the bros and sis, 5'10 140lbs tops.

Often Im cutting next to another guy, im always done alot faster then almost every other crew, Im pretty sure if you seen me working youd think im on drugs moving so fast, must be the pepsi. I may be exhausting myself in 5 hours for moving so fast but if I can do 5 hours and do what another does in 8 Id take that. This is also my first summer doing it pretty much full time, I think I can get used to it though but at the moment I dont have 40 hours of work so the day I do get too tired I quit ahead of time and being self employed I can do that

:dizzy:
24 pops and lots of rettes doesn't work huh? Can you post a photo of yourself? I'd recommend getting a keg of pepsi and keeping it chilled in the back of the rig with a hose running up front to you in cab. Another bit of advice would be to get a water pipe for all that smoke to help out the lungs. My only question is, Why haven't you tried smokeless tobacco or perhaps crank?

coonman
07-07-2007, 03:05 PM
The last 7 years I spent working at home from my laptop with a small refrigerator next to me always full of pepsi, I used to buy 50- 12 packs at a time, I pretty much dont drink anything else, no water , no milk, no coffee...

Im sure pepsi is not good for me but ohh well, Ive seen guys drink pretty much coffee all day, not much of a difference.

I wont post a picture of me but I can tell you ive been skinny alll my life and so are the bros and sis, 5'10 140lbs tops.

Often Im cutting next to another guy, im always done alot faster then almost every other crew, Im pretty sure if you seen me working youd think im on drugs moving so fast, must be the pepsi. I may be exhausting myself in 5 hours for moving so fast but if I can do 5 hours and do what another does in 8 Id take that. This is also my first summer doing it pretty much full time, I think I can get used to it though but at the moment I dont have 40 hours of work so the day I do get too tired I quit ahead of time and being self employed I can do that

Yes, pop is one of the worst things you can drink. I have not had one in 15-20 years. Your eating habits are slowing you down big time for your age. First off, you have to eat breakfast to fuel your body. Your body has been without food for 8hours when you get up, FEED IT. Drink lots of water and snack all day on fruits and nuts and stop for a decent lunch. Get rid of the smokes as soon as you can. Here is my typical mowing day. Wake up and eat breakfast which is a huge power smoothie. To the gym at 7am, hit the weights for an 45min. Then off to mow 7-9 lawns solo with a 21 only. Back home around 4-5. Shower and then off for an hour or two of tennis. I am 44. Once you change your lifestyle you will see a huge change.

Grits
07-07-2007, 04:30 PM

You keep asking him to prove himself!!:hammerhead:
And, he has risen to every challenge that you have come at him with. You apparently just don't like the guy, and that is fine, but he seems to be doing fairly well with his business.

And that last line in the quote above from you, makes you look like the *******.

Steve-
Good job in creating the business success that you APPARENTLY have. I, for one, wish I achieve that level one day. Congrats!

DLCS
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
You keep asking him to prove himself!!:hammerhead:
And, he has risen to every challenge that you have come at him with. You apparently just don't like the guy, and that is fine, but he seems to be doing fairly well with his business.

And that last line in the quote above from you, makes you look like the *******.

Steve-
Good job in creating the business success that you APPARENTLY have. I, for one, wish I achieve that level one day. Congrats!

No he has not. I want to see more pics of his trucks with his company name on them, not just the same silver Ford with his name on it. A pic with just more than one mower. Pics of this so called logging equipment that he boasts about on Plowsite. Anyone can post what he has done in this thread. I'm basically a one man mowing operation and have more mowers than he has in these pics in this thread. He states that he works all over the state of New York, so lets see all the equipment? My comment that he tries to prove himself in every thread should have been worded better. What I really meant was he tries to brag himself up in ever thread. Go and read all his posts from the beginning and you will see what I mean. Think about all them hours his guys supposedly worked, how many people do you know, will work those kinds of hours and not get overtime until weekends? Go over to plowsite and read more BS. You can call me a arse all you want, I don't care.

DLCS
07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes, pop is one of the worst things you can drink. I have not had one in 15-20 years. Your eating habits are slowing you down big time for your age. First off, you have to eat breakfast to fuel your body. Your body has been without food for 8hours when you get up, FEED IT. Drink lots of water and snack all day on fruits and nuts and stop for a decent lunch. Get rid of the smokes as soon as you can. Here is my typical mowing day. Wake up and eat breakfast which is a huge power smoothie. To the gym at 7am, hit the weights for an 45min. Then off to mow 7-9 lawns solo with a 21 only. Back home around 4-5. Shower and then off for an hour or two of tennis. I am 44. Once you change your lifestyle you will see a huge change.

Wow, I used to be just like you. One thing is I have never smoked and never will. I just wish i could get back to that lifestyle that I once had.

nathannc
07-08-2007, 02:46 PM
"I may need to start eatting healthier, I go through a day, 2 packs of cigarettes and 2- 12 packs of pepsi, no food until I get home, today I tried powerade instead, never liked gatorade/powerade but I just have to try stay away from all this pepsi."

I strongly urge you to quit drinking that many soft drinks. It is almost certain that you are at least pre-diabetic already. The cigarettes are bad of course but, probably no worse than the massive consumption of carbonated beverages. Being pre-diabetic means that already your cells have become highly insulin resistant. This means that your body has a much harder time metabolizing sugars and, at some stage of the metabolic process, sugars are essential for energy. Understand that I am not advocating eating highly refined sugars such as candy bars, white bread, crackers, or soft drinks for that matter.

Anyway, what will happen is that you will gradually need more and more sugar to meet your enegy needs. This creates stress untold stress on th body and will almost certainly lead to full blown diabetes with all its unkind side effects.

I strongly suggest too anyone addicted to soft drinks, that you wean yourself off and try sparkling mineral water instead. It has some carbonation that makes it taste better than water, at least to me, and has some beneficial minerals as well. Soft drinks, like many foods that we consume in this country, are/or contain slow acting poisons. Don't resort to diet drinks. They contain essentially slow acting poisons as well. I am not exaggerating. Sorry that this is not directly related to the lawn care but, I am certain after all our hard work we want to have the energy and, at the end of our career, have the time to enjoy the fruits of our labor. :)

kmann
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
8 Hours is a cake walk!! Come on guys... Drink a lot of water and you will be ok. It takes me while to get used to it but after about a week of long hot days than everything get easier.

Try coming down here with the heat and humidity. Drink just water all day and you will be TOAST!!!

kmann
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM

This ridiculous caffine WILL dehydrate you! This is a BOGUS study its based on "some data" not facts!!

fitzg2md
07-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I mean no offense. Personally I think you are crazy to work that many hours, but to each his own! However, I would strongly suggest you talk to a good business analyst if you havent already. If your goal is to be the #1 LCO in NY, then you had better start building good business practices that others can follow. I wouldnt count on finding alot of employees willing to work those hours! Well...good employees. A large company is going to require alot of supervisors to run the day to day operations. Again...most dont want those hours. If your LCO cant be profitable and experience growth working a normal 40-50 hour week (maybe a BIT more for certian people) then growth is going to be hard to do. Better to get started installing sound practices now so that when the oportunity for growth comes along you are able to capitalize. Also, I would like to take a life insurance policy out on you with me as the benefactor!:p

Roger
07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
For those working huge number of hours per week (say greater than 60), what business model are you following? What counsel have you been given (and by whom), what books have you read, or what other resource leads you to use such a model? Obviously, you made a choice of model that dictated working very long weeks. It would be helpful to share this information with the rest of us. I don't care about pics of equipment, trucks, etc, rather I am more interested in your business model and plan. Please explain. Thanks.

Envy Lawn Service
07-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Well, I'll tell you guys...

As you start to age a little, then you start to find out what really wasn't good for you that you have already done.

When I was young, I'd work like a slaving dog. I'd work non-stop until I started shaking, getting weak in the knees, and my knees started knocking. Then I'd stop to eat a little something. Just eating wouldn't take it away though... It was low blood sugar, but I didn't know that... A pepsi and something sweet would handle it in a hurry I learned.

That was about the only soda I'd ever drink in those days. Some years later I would develop a form of diabetes, where my blood sugar would soar high, then come crashing down (or the revers). A severe metabolic problem basically. A sort of mimic of my metabolic activity over all those years, but times 10 and extreme.

I didn't know what was wrong, and with no family history of high or low blood sugar in my family, the doctors had no clue to go on either. I got into a high stress environment on top of it all, and it was not long until I didn't have the energy to go from the couch to the mailbox without having to take a break along the way in both directions. We are talking going 100 feet or so here...

Anyways, after having to give up the majority of carbs, sweets, etc... diet soda became my crack. I tried it, it had a sweet taste, and the next thing I knew I was drinking several liters of it a day. Never cared for soda before, now I couldn't put them down.

When my blood pressure started to elevate more, I gave up the caffine. I had to quit it cold turkey and give it up totally for a while. The withdrawl was rough. But after I got over those symtoms I felt much better off of the caffine.

In today's world it is hard to avoid caffine totally altogether forever. Same thing with soda. They are not going to have good water everywhere. Nor does everywhere serve diet caffine free drinks. So...

The point is though, I kicked the caffine first and felt better for it later. Then I was able to kick the diet sodas. Now I rarely even want one. I like water much better again!!!!

I might have one with food, or I might have one for morning coffee so to speak or whatever. But I don't really drink them anymore. Not like I did anyways. Like in the past week, I've had 32oz of diet soda. Thursday I ran out of water at the end of the day. So I stopped and got a 12oz Diet Mt Dew on the way home. Then I was out shopping saturday, got thirsty and got a Diet Dr Pepper from a drink machine. So 32oz in a week when I used to drink 60-80oz or more A DAY.

I feel much better.

Also, when I got sick a while back I was forced to face the possibility I might me sensitive to milk now. Cereal and milk had been my main choice for breakfast for years. Healthy cereal I can have and milk. I was NOT HAPPY about having to abstain from milk and dairy for a while.

Turns out I didn't have an allergy I guess. But when I caved in a finally ate cereal and milk for breakfast again, I learned something important...

That's what was causing me to get cotton mouth or close a lot, and what was making me reach for carbonated drinks to try to 'cut' that thick feeling and quench my thirst. I also found out I don't have near the morning stamina.

Moral of the story...
Eat a solid breakfast.
Lay off milk and dairy until you get home from work.
Eat a healthy lunch.
Take along some healthy snacks.
Drink a TON of cold spring water... it should be your primary fluid intake.

Roger
07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
For those working huge number of hours per week (say greater than 60), what business model are you following? What counsel have you been given (and by whom), what books have you read, or what other resource leads you to use such a model? Obviously, you made a choice of model that dictated working very long weeks. It would be helpful to share this information with the rest of us. I don't care about pics of equipment, trucks, etc, rather I am more interested in your business model and plan. Please explain. Thanks.

So, what happened in this thread? The posts were fast and often, but now, nothing.

I asked a pretty simple set of questions, and was hoping to get some answers from those who were so quick to make posts earlier about their long work weeks. What's up with the silence?

privatelawn
07-10-2007, 10:25 PM
they are probably still out working

I started to drink powerade and quit drinking pepsi while at work, still the heat sends me home early, I weigh 131 today, those 10 gallons of sweat from last week must have took 10lbs from me,soon will dissapear

So, what happened in this thread? The posts were fast and often, but now, nothing.

I asked a pretty simple set of questions, and was hoping to get some answers from those who were so quick to make posts earlier about their long work weeks. What's up with the silence?

lawnman_scott
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I would love to find more help... Nobody wants to work anymore.. I hired 20 new guys this year, and 9 of them didn't last a week. That was before the crazy hours started.

I don't like letting people bash me down. So I'll keep proving myself, so you might look alittle more like an idiot with every post you make. Or possibly, I might just have some fun.Steve are the pics of your mowers from your shop? You know, the one you were having built when you were 17. Never did get pics of that. It actually looks like your garage. You got the same stuff you had a year ago other than a dixie. You must have been teased endlessly in school to have to lie so bad and make yourself look so funny just to try to justify yourself to yourself.

lawnman_scott
07-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Steve are the pics of your mowers from your shop? You know, the one you were having built when you were 17. Never did get pics of that. It actually looks like your garage. You got the same stuff you had a year ago other than a dixie. You must have been teased endlessly in school to have to lie so bad and make yourself look so funny just to try to justify yourself to yourself.sorry, actually its your moms garage isnt it?

lawnman_scott
07-12-2007, 12:43 AM
sorry, actually its your moms garage isnt it?so stevie is gone for 3 months again...... The sad part is, if he wouldnt exaggerate things so much I would respect him for doing what he has at such a young age. Its just laughable though what he thinks people will beleive.

Turfcutters Plus
07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
This year i've been doing $300 a day in about 5.5-6 hrs and loving it solo!I too enjoy life along the way.Best thing for me is NO EMPLOYEES.n:walking: one needed oh yea!!!!!!!!

PROCUT1
02-09-2008, 02:26 AM
Figured id bump this up for some mid winter humour

02-09-2008, 03:25 AM
I used to do road construction on a road crew. I was home 7 days out of 5 months. I worked 90-95 average hours a week, over 100 a couple times. My forman worked about 10-12 hours more then I did, and the super worked probally 10-15 more then him. The plant operator worked the most, he was working by 430am daily, and not done until 11/1130 most nights.

Most every night we all had "dinner" at the local establishment, and went to bed in our campers about 1am, back working at 530 every day though.

My point is to everyone out there that doesn't believe people work unbelieveable hours, well yes alot of people do. It just takes a special person. I miss my job there, but I want to work for myself now.

ps, I loved that job, and the money.

GravelyNut
02-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Have worked a year where at the end of the year, time on the job equaled 3500 hours. This was in a high vibration, loud ( 108db ) and hot environment. It took its toll on all employees there. Out of the 4 of us there when I started, only one made it to normal retirement age. The job when younger can come back to haunt you when you get older.

landscaper22
02-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I used to do road construction on a road crew. I was home 7 days out of 5 months. I worked 90-95 average hours a week, over 100 a couple times. My forman worked about 10-12 hours more then I did, and the super worked probally 10-15 more then him. The plant operator worked the most, he was working by 430am daily, and not done until 11/1130 most nights.

Most every night we all had "dinner" at the local establishment, and went to bed in our campers about 1am, back working at 530 every day though.

My point is to everyone out there that doesn't believe people work unbelieveable hours, well yes alot of people do. It just takes a special person. I miss my job there, but I want to work for myself now.

ps, I loved that job, and the money.

I guess it does take a special person. Well I know some people who work like that. Most have no family though. Or they don't like their family. I guess if home life is worse or more boring than work I can see where working extreme hours would make sense. But for me there is more to life. I may have to sacrifice some material things, but I am fine with that. I have everything I need and then some.
In our line of work we obviously work more and harder in summer than winter. But I planned my business so that I do not have to work 60 plus hours per week in the summer to make up for the winter. I know that when I am on my death bed I will not be saying "If only I could have worked a few more hours or made a little more money." I will be glad that I was able to do things in life that I enjoy. Watching my children grow up (and being a part of their life along the way), spending time with my wife, making time for hobbies, etc.

atlcutah
02-09-2008, 11:07 AM
which was like mowing the first lawn at 7 am and home by 9 -10 pm! We had 1- 2 man crew mowing lawns (me and a helper) and my brother and a helper doing Landscaping! Needless to say we couldnt get any help to stay with us for longer than a month! People just dont want to work 14-16 hr days! Idont blame them either. We could only keep the 2 guys that were helping and I think its because their hispanic and needed the money! But my brother was a workahloic and still is and 5 straight years of working like that with hardly any family time ruined his marriage. Money was great! but his wife was runnnin around like she wasnt married! I think you got to balance it out! work smarter not harder as they say! we use to mow 20-24 lawns a day mon - fri and we were done mowing by 3 - 4 pm. Thats a good day to me right there. Only problem we had was after mowing we would go help my brother with the landscaping (curbing, Sprinkler install, bobcat work) until dark. where now I am just going to call it quits after we are done mowing at 3-4 pm mon - fri and no weekends! My 6 and 4 year old are starting to get into t-ball and soccer so cant miss those games! Especially when they start to play football!

CuttinUP
02-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I go out and do the work on the list for the day some days 6 hrs others 10hrs.
The days that it is 100 degrees plus and so humid that you could cut it with a knife are hard to make it. Get out of the truck and start sweating before you even drop the gate. Just have to drink alot of water and Gatorade and eat something lite and you will survive. I found out the hard way that you can't just drink Gatorade and not eat anything all day. The ride home started getting the shakes then had to pull over to hurl, Wasn't pretty:dizzy:

CustomKare
02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Am I in the wrong forum? Guys that can't work 8 hours? WOW!

10 probably is the standard in this business.

Im 44 year old converted pencil pusher and can do 10 on a bad day.

Butch up guys or you might want to sell your equipment and find a new occupation!:dizzy:

Turfcutters Plus
02-09-2008, 12:04 PM

Butch up guys or you might want to sell your equipment and find a new occupation!:dizzy:

You don't HAVE to work alot of hours in this biz if you are smart about it.I became self employed so i could make more,work less,have FULL control(ala solo mowing).Of course i've saved and planned for this.Now i have $,time for hobbies,NO headaches like you big shots.I love going out at 7 and being done by 12/1 pm.I'm enjoying it BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!:cool2:

mowwmann
02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Interesting topic here. Keep your eyes our for a book I am publishing(easy read 100 pager, i dont care to read much,but alot to say). Mowman®-an American Mowing Legend-More than mowing. This topic is the focus of a chapter. The reasons all of us mow. The hours, the challenges, the victories and disappointments. The reasons are different for everyone, when I started mowing some 27 years it was for a totally different reason than I do now, and the reasons have changed throughout the life of my mowing cycle; as the years have past, mowing became part of my life(like breathing) and not so much a job, some out there understand what I am saying, some strictly consider it a business. I have reached a point where I could call it quits, but can't phathom the thought of not going out on a sunny, summerday to the smell of fresh cut bluegrass. I am sure someday I will back off and let the guys do their thing, without me trimming all day they will probably quit;), but until then I will continue to live the dream. The dream of being the greatest lawn mower man that has ever lived.

Turfcutters Plus
02-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Interesting topic here. Keep your eyes our for a book I am publishing(easy read 100 pager, i dont care to read much,but alot to say). Mowman®-an American Mowing Legend-More than mowing. This topic is the focus of a chapter. The reasons all of us mow. The hours, the challenges, the victories and disappointments. The reasons are different for everyone, when I started mowing some 27 years it was for a totally different reason than I do now, and the reasons have changed throughout the life of my mowing cycle; as the years have past, mowing became part of my life(like breathing) and not so much a job, some out there understand what I am saying, some strictly consider it a business. I have reached a point where I could call it quits, but can't phathom the thought of not going out on a sunny, summerday to the smell of fresh cut bluegrass. I am sure someday I will back off and let the guys do their thing, without me trimming all day they will probably quit;), but until then I will continue to live the dream. The dream of being the greatest lawn mower man that has ever lived.
But i thought i was the greatest?I keep this attitude to be the best i can be.:usflag:

Grassbustin
02-09-2008, 01:00 PM

Couldn't agree more!!! Lazies.......

Roger
02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Agree, Grassbustin,

Other currently active threads are suggesting sitting at home, earning $0 because you didn't get the top-dollar jobs.

There are plenty of threads criticizing a labor force from which to find employees. When I read that somebody will sit at home if they don't get "my price" then I have to wonder if the spirit of entrepreneurism and small business ownership is alive, or dead.

landscaper22
02-09-2008, 03:57 PM
QUOTE=CustomKare;2143110]Am I in the wrong forum? Guys that can't work 8 hours? WOW!

Butch up guys or you might want to sell your equipment and find a new occupation!:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Never said we couldn't work 8 hours or even more. But work is work for me, not something I enjoy doing. I save money and make sacrifices so I am not a slave to my job. If you view your work as a hobby then knock yourself out working all you want. It doesn't mean others are lazy just because they do not work 60-70 hours every week. :confused:[

landscaper22
02-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Agree, Grassbustin,

Other currently active threads are suggesting sitting at home, earning $0 because you didn't get the top-dollar jobs.

There are plenty of threads criticizing a labor force from which to find employees. When I read that somebody will sit at home if they don't get "my price" then I have to wonder if the spirit of entrepreneurism and small business ownership is alive, or dead.

So you are saying you let your customers set your prices. Sorry, but I don't do that. I want to make a certain amount of money on my jobs. If it is a very slow time of year (Like now) I may give a lower estimate to get some work. But when I give a price I stand firm. I am not just pulling a number of my hat. I am giving a price that I think is fair for the job. The customer can take it or I can sit home and earn $0.

Roger
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
No, I am not saying to let your customers set the prices. I am assuming residential mowing work in this discussion. I'm sorry if my comments were made toward other kinds of work.

From many discussions about pricing over the several years I have been on LS, it is clear to me that mowing pricing is determined primarily on market conditions in an area. I know, ... often the phrase is used, "... know your costs, and price accordingly." Despite all that advice, when the details sort themselves out, most people are pretty open about charging what their market will bear. We read about wide differences in pricing from one area to another area. The costs of doing business cannot vary that widely. This means that residential mowing is more profitable in some areas than others.

I am also not suggesting that knowing one's costs is not important. In the context of pricing, if one's costs are covered and there is profit above and beyond, then the issue is one of accepting some level of profit. What I hear often when somebody says "it is my top price, or nothing," to me they are saying I'm only willing to work at some level of profit -- obviously at some level beyond the expenses.

This is similar to the worker with some skills that I think I am worth $15/hr, and I will sit at home, passing up the $13/hr jobs. The income is $0. Or, if a college graduate just out of school thinks they are worth $50K/hr, and the job offer on the table is $40K/yr, they will sit at home, earning $0.

We all want to have the widest margin between income and expenses, that is the largest net profit (NET, not GROSS). But, if choosing between sitting at home earning $0, and working for a smaller net profit than we would like, I will take the smaller net profit every day. The cashier at the grocery store only accepts money that we HAVE, not money that we COULD HAVE had, if we would have worked.

Further, the very action of being out working, albeit at less than maximum net profit, always seems to generate more work. Sitting at home on the porch making $0 probably means that no other opportunities are being created, those that will generate a larger net profit.

I've never met a successful business person, especially in the entrepreneurial domain, who has let opportunities slip through. Being out, actively working and exposing others to your work is a primary advertising opportunity. Again, I may not be making quite as much net profit as I would like, but I'm putting myself in a position to find other opportunities. Sitting at home NEVER affords me any opportunity. Clearly, if my schedule only gives me one of two choices, and I have no time for two jobs, I'm unwise to take the opportunity with the smallest net profit. Further, the situation changes through the course of any season. There are busy times, there are very busy times, and there are less busy times. One approach does not fit all situations. In the end, a couple of things matter: What is my net profit? How am I positioning my business for upcoming work?

This has absolutely nothing to do with "customer setting my prices." It has everything to do with wanting to succeed and grow, taking advantage of the opportunities presented.

I hope I have made myself clear.

02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
No, I am not saying to let your customers set the prices. I am assuming residential mowing work in this discussion. I'm sorry if my comments were made toward other kinds of work.

From many discussions about pricing over the several years I have been on LS, it is clear to me that mowing pricing is determined primarily on market conditions in an area. I know, ... often the phrase is used, "... know your costs, and price accordingly." Despite all that advice, when the details sort themselves out, most people are pretty open about charging what their market will bear. We read about wide differences in pricing from one area to another area. The costs of doing business cannot vary that widely. This means that residential mowing is more profitable in some areas than others.

I am also not suggesting that knowing one's costs is not important. In the context of pricing, if one's costs are covered and there is profit above and beyond, then the issue is one of accepting some level of profit. What I hear often when somebody says "it is my top price, or nothing," to me they are saying I'm only willing to work at some level of profit -- obviously at some level beyond the expenses.

This is similar to the worker with some skills that I think I am worth $15/hr, and I will sit at home, passing up the $13/hr jobs. The income is $0. Or, if a college graduate just out of school thinks they are worth $50K/hr, and the job offer on the table is $40K/yr, they will sit at home, earning $0.

We all want to have the widest margin between income and expenses, that is the largest net profit (NET, not GROSS). But, if choosing between sitting at home earning $0, and working for a smaller net profit than we would like, I will take the smaller net profit every day. The cashier at the grocery store only accepts money that we HAVE, not money that we COULD HAVE had, if we would have worked.

Further, the very action of being out working, albeit at less than maximum net profit, always seems to generate more work. Sitting at home on the porch making $0 probably means that no other opportunities are being created, those that will generate a larger net profit.

I've never met a successful business person, especially in the entrepreneurial domain, who has let opportunities slip through. Being out, actively working and exposing others to your work is a primary advertising opportunity. Again, I may not be making quite as much net profit as I would like, but I'm putting myself in a position to find other opportunities. Sitting at home NEVER affords me any opportunity. Clearly, if my schedule only gives me one of two choices, and I have no time for two jobs, I'm unwise to take the opportunity with the smallest net profit. Further, the situation changes through the course of any season. There are busy times, there are very busy times, and there are less busy times. One approach does not fit all situations. In the end, a couple of things matter: What is my net profit? How am I positioning my business for upcoming work?

This has absolutely nothing to do with "customer setting my prices." It has everything to do with wanting to succeed and grow, taking advantage of the opportunities presented.

Very well said, and very clear!

lifetree
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
IMO, people who work 10, 11, 12 hr days don't enjoy life. I work as little as possible so I can get home and watch my kid grow up. Right now I work about 30 hr week. I make enough to pay the bills, live comfortably, and enjoy life. Besides, I hate the heat of the summer (another reason not to work too much)

Alot of truth to this, however, you need to think about putting something away for returement also !!

PROCUT1
02-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow

I actually didnt bump this for anything to do with the actual topic

landscaper22
02-09-2008, 11:28 PM

I see what you are saying. One thing I do agree on is when you touched on the college grads. I am one myself, but when I graduated I started at the bottom and moved up. I see many of the grads get the piece of paper in their hands and think they are next to God. I know a guy fresh out out college that turned down a job offer for $20k per year because he said it did not pay enough. And it probably didn't. But my opinion is he could have taken the position for the experience and some income while continuing to Loki for something else. You do have to start somewhere. But he chose to continue making $0. That was dumb in my opinion.
As far as Lawn maintenance, the market does dictate the price to some extent, as with most any other good or service. It boils down to basic economics. But, low balling also keeps prices down too. If everyone in town had nearly the same pricing scale then the LCOs could slowly drive prices up. I also think it is funny, as you stated, how pricing is so drastically different in different parts of the nation. They way I see it, if the people are being honest on lawnsite, is that in some areas the market price is so low that I would find another line of work.
Another fact about pricing is the longer you have been in business, and have built a good customer base, the more you as the LCO are able to ask for more money. When I first started out, I did many jobs for a lot less money than I should have. I was upset at myself sometimes too. Once my schedule became full, then I was able to be more in control of my pricing. Now I know how to price jobs. And when I price landscape installs, I really don't care what others in the area charge. I charge what I feel will generate me a good profit, I do a quality job, and I stand behind my work. I am busy anyway, so if they accept the price I do the job, and do it right. If they don't like the price, that is fine too.
With mowing, I tend to follow the market in my area. I still price most jobs at the higher end of the pricing scale for my area. But I feel I can do that now that I have built my reputation and have more work than I can handle.
But, I will stop rambling now.....:)

johnnybravo8802
04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
I've had a lot of days that I mowed 12-15 hrs/day. I love what I do and can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing. I'm mostly solo because I want to do the work versus someone else.

davis45
04-23-2008, 10:21 PM
I work 5 days a week about 11-13 hours a day. Im Still young and trying to buy my own house. I would like to have my own home before I hire anyone full time.

I start at the Cemeteries at about 7a.m. Usually done about 7 then I clean the equipment and fix anything necessary. Heavy rain days really get me behind because Saturday is all I have to catch up, I usually have my part-timer help out for a couple days after a big rain.