PDA

View Full Version : Wet grass on sidewalks, driveways...

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-03-2007, 11:13 PM
It is unbelievable with the amount of rain we have been seeing over the last two weeks and although this has been a problem before, I thought I'd ask the pros their thoughts on the matter.

What do you guys do when the green, wet grass temporarily stains the pavement? I don't mow in the rain, unless it's a country yard, but even after a morning dew? How do you guys prevent it from leaving stains? Is there really no way around problem? I really don't have time to wait for the grass to dry before I cut, so your thoughts would be appreciated.

bigbone
07-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Nothing you can do. If the customer complains about it then you can try as hard as you can to keep the mower tires off the pavement and that will prevent staining. The other option is using a power washer but that is not really feasable.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks BigBone. Guess I just needed to hear that from someone else. I thought I was being "unprofessional" by leaving it, but like you said, there's not much you can do. Thanks for the help.

carcrz
07-03-2007, 11:26 PM
I usually try to make sure I get all the debris off the concrete. I don't worry about any staining. If I get a complaint about it, I just make sure I don't touch the concrete & enter from the road on every area (or as much as possible).

screensnot
07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I try to minimize the driving on the concrete, and try to pick the spots where I have to. Most people don't notice things that are not between their car and the front door, or near the back patio. Make those two areas look nice, and complaints will be few and far between.

Vikings
07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't like doing it either. One time this year I was trying to clean the deck of a 21", I kind of banged it up and down on the wheels. It left a green Donut shape on the guys drive way. I was worried about it, but the next week it was gone.

I'm not sure how temporary these green stains are but they do go away fast.

ed2hess
07-04-2007, 03:45 PM
We have had a mess in our area 30 days of constant rain....we attempt to stay off the concrete with mowers use more trimming. we carry bleach to make solution on upscale hotels to clean it up and that work....we lay down cardboard to get across walks....this has been the worst 30 days of mowning we ever had.

fiveoboy01
07-04-2007, 04:26 PM
I try to stay off the concrete as much as possible in conditions like those. Blowing clippings on the sidewalks isn't so much an issue till you run the mower over the clippings and that really leaves stains.

But they seem to wash off very easily.

ztrguy
07-04-2007, 04:54 PM
We always use the Redmax 8000 and use our boots to (scrape) the stains off. Works every time!

TLS
07-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes.....BIG blowers help a lot.

nmez21
07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
This might have nothing to do with the current topic, but edhess mentioned trimming the edges along walkways and such. In the shindaiwa catalog they show a guy trimming the grass along the edge of a sidewalk, where it could be easily reached with mower. My question is: Is there any purpose for doing this under normal conditions? Do any of you do this? thanks,

hess
07-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Have some cardboard around and put down befor you go over it. dosn't take much room.

sheshovel
07-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Sweep the grass off the concrete?

fiveoboy01
07-05-2007, 12:52 AM
It doesn't sweep off the concrete easily if it's wet.

I've ran into some types of concrete where the texture is sort of rough, and nothing short of my BR600 will get it off.

1MajorTom
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
At least in the Northeast, wet grass is sloppy, juicy and messy. No way to sweep off grass stains. The best you can do is to minimize turning around on the driveway, and when loading the mower back up onto the trailer, don't ride the mower down the driveway. Ride it down in the grass, and load up on the street if possible. Sometimes there is no way around getting a little staining, and most customers will understand, especially if their grass is high and needed cut.

robbo521
07-05-2007, 01:04 AM
i keep a gallon of water in the box and a very hard stiff roof brush.i had a new person the other day and the back wheel got on the sidewalk and it was green bad.so took the water and poured some out and the brush them more water and it was gone.