PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy & Big Grass

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 12:21 AM
This 32 hp Vanguard is amazing, I watched the tach and never saw it drop over a couple of hundred rpm's. This signal grass was so big I had to go over it three times to get it cut and I went slow but faster than you would think.

i love grass
07-04-2007, 01:38 AM
man that thing has some power looks like a perfect place to test on tall cutting

Midwest Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Wow! Thats impressive. Do you guys ever wonder how much hp mowers will have in another 5-10 years? The last 10 years we have seen it basically double, from 16-20hp in the mid 90's, to 32+hp now!

GreenT
07-04-2007, 02:50 AM
Looks very impressive pp. Have you had a chance to test it on a good quality lawn yet?

Grits
07-04-2007, 04:18 AM
What the hell kind of grass is that?

bohiaa
07-04-2007, 06:28 AM

weeds.............

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 07:57 AM

I think it was brought in as forage for cattle. You can look at it here in this link, it grows very, very fast.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/uropla.html

You can click on the pictures and make them bigger.

dougmartin2003
07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
i quess the 1/3rd rule is out of the question on that grass.:)

rodfather
07-04-2007, 08:40 AM
You could hide a small pony in that stuff...amazing.

rundm
07-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I have some stuff in my back pasture that looks similar to that but not quite as tall. RG

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Looks very impressive pp. Have you had a chance to test it on a good quality lawn yet?

I don't have the plush manicured grass like the small subdivisions do where they can irrigate.

This is about the best I have, I'm not into grass perfection as many things as I have to look after.

You can see a little wave in the picture toward the lake, it is not as smooth a cut as the Super Z but still a decent cut for unmanicured areas. You have to remember I am only comparing the mower set up exactly the way it was brought to me but my Super Z is still the same set up as when delivered.

The dry weather we had around here did not help as you can see from the brown places that went dormant waiting for moisture.

Rottman
07-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Not that it really matters, but how tall are you cutting at in these photo's? Your comparison between these two mowers have been great. I like hustler, but I had a 23/52 or 54 (can't remember now) hustler Z and the cut was not that good and left alot of stragglers. I will say that I did not know about deck pitch either and never ck'd it before I got rid of it. But control wise it handled great. I have not tried the XR-7 deck yet. This year I've been thinking about getting a 60" deck mower now as I'm getting some larger lots and my 48" scag cub is just taking too long. I also like the the lightning with a 32 vanguard on it. With that much hp it should not have any problems running a bagging system. Thanks again PP for such a in-depth report.

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Not that it really matters, but how tall are you cutting at in these photo's? Your comparison between these two mowers have been great. I like hustler, but I had a 23/52 or 54 (can't remember now) hustler Z and the cut was not that good and left alot of stragglers. I will say that I did not know about deck pitch either and never ck'd it before I got rid of it. But control wise it handled great. I have not tried the XR-7 deck yet. This year I've been thinking about getting a 60" deck mower now as I'm getting some larger lots and my 48" scag cub is just taking too long. I also like the the lightning with a 32 vanguard on it. With that much hp it should not have any problems running a bagging system. Thanks again PP for such a in-depth report.

The height gage for the hydraulic deck was set on 4 and I have no idea if that is 4" or what but now that you have mentioned it I will measure and see how close the gage is to the actual height.

My 66" XR-7 cuts cleaner than the BB deck. I find myself slowing down on the BB trying to get a cleaner cut. The XR-7 at 2 3/4", which is lower than most people want to cut does an extremely good job as fast as the mower will run. I very seldom see anything left at 15 mph cutting at the lower height but if you went up to 3 1/2" it would be a totally different story. The BB deck is a straight 5 1/2" everywhere including the front where the XR-7 deck is 5 7/8" except in the front where it is 4 3/4". This lets the grass get into the cutting area faster on the Hustler without being pushed over.

I would just love to see what the 32 Vanguard would do on the Hustler Super Z because that engine is amazingly strong on the BB. I really like everything about the Vanguard but it will consume considerably more gas than the 28 efi which would be expected. If the 32 Vanguard was an efi it would probably be as strong as a 34 hp engine with a lot better fuel economy. You just can't stop the 32 on the BB, a person would have to experience it to believe the power.

Meg-Mo
07-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Now with the MEG MO blades It would have made that job a lot easier.

rundm
07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
those pictures of "unmanicured" grass look pretty good. RG

puppypaws
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Not that it really matters, but how tall are you cutting at in these photo's? Your comparison between these two mowers have been great.

I measured on concrete from the cutting edge down and this is what I found.

When the hydraulic deck is set to 5 on the gage it measures 4 1/2", at the number 4 on the gage it is 3 1/2" and the number 3 measured 2 3/4". I was actually cutting 30" high signal grass down to 3 1/2" with no more than 200 rpm's drop on the 32 hp Vanguard, if I had not done this myself it would be hard for me to believe this motor could be that strong.

This not only means the engine is very strong but the deck is moving the grass out very fast so a lot of the load is taken off the motor.

I don't think people would buy a mower like this to mow pastures but I found it kind of interesting so see what it could actually do and it was really amazing.

From what I can see this 32 Vanguard it is very impressive, it cranks and runs like a sewing machine with tremendous strength. I can tell even without close calculations that is does like gas but I have not found one fault with this engine.

I am glad you brought the cutting height to my attention, it made me think to actually measure the height of cut against the gage.

Rottman
07-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Just for comparision sake, you will have to try mowing both mowers at the same height. From what I have read the XR-7 mows good under 3" but looses the good cut, leaving stragglers above that.

puppypaws
07-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Just for comparision sake, you will have to try mowing both mowers at the same height. From what I have read the XR-7 mows good under 3" but looses the good cut, leaving stragglers above that.

I can verify this personally, the 2.75" height I use the XR-7 deck does an excellent job even at 15 mph on stiff bladed southern grass and weeds. It will cut Buckhorn Plantain and very seldom leave any, I cut over it with the BB and it left 90% of it uncut. I looked at it and thought to myself when I cut over it with the BB, my gosh did I lose my blades somewhere.

When you get the XR-7 deck into the 3 1/2" range you would really have to slow down to get a half way decent cut and it still would not be real good on weak bladed grass. That is why the boy's in Florida love them, they cut close and fast.

those pictures of "unmanicured" grass look pretty good. RG
Yes, it looks fair but you can see the difference in height. The BB people and I were looking at the pictures this afternoon and discussing them. The dealers outside salesman and I are having breakfast in the morning then I am going to jerk the mower up into the air and we are going to see what is going on.

twj721
07-05-2007, 09:50 PM
looks like a lot of chicken s**t has been put on that grass nice a green and thicker than a bunch of love bugs on the front of a semi . With the rain we have been getting here that is the way it is looking everywhere around here they are saying another week of rain ughhhhh last time I checked we were at 3 or 4 inches for the month of July

puppypaws
07-05-2007, 09:56 PM
looks like a lot of chicken s**t has been put on that grass nice a green and thicker than a bunch of love bugs on the front of a semi . With the rain we have been getting here that is the way it is looking everywhere around here they are saying another week of rain ughhhhh last time I checked we were at 3 or 4 inches for the month of July

I know you have been covered up with to much rain, I need some bad, my corn is making and I saw it rolling up from lack of ground moisture today, send me some and I will sing at your next wedding.

KTO Enterprises
07-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Now with the MEG MO blades It would have made that job a lot easier.

Here goes meg mo trying to push their junk some more

twj721
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I know you have been covered up with to much rain, I need some bad, my corn is making and I saw it rolling up from lack of ground moisture today, send me some and I will sing at your next wedding.

Thanks BUT NO Thanks rain I will try to send but sing at my next wedding NO :nono: not going to be another one this is my 4th one and I am to old and cranky now to start over. I Would be lost if any thing every happened to Andrea for sure :cry:

Ramairfreak98ss
07-05-2007, 10:29 PM
puppaws, you have the water cooled or air version? you side discharging or mulching?

I noticed my 27hp kohler had no problem with most stuff on my 61" deck Ferris, then i added the mulch baffles underneath and man that really sucks up the power :/ Im looking at a 32hp briggs air cooled Ferris 3100z next spring, ive heard good stuff about that beast motor

dwost
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
puppaws, you have the water cooled or air version? you side discharging or mulching?

I noticed my 27hp kohler had no problem with most stuff on my 61" deck Ferris, then i added the mulch baffles underneath and man that really sucks up the power :/ Im looking at a 32hp briggs air cooled Ferris 3100z next spring, ive heard good stuff about that beast motor

It's a Briggs Vanguard 32 air cooled with a side discharge deck.

puppypaws
07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
It's a Briggs Vanguard 32 air cooled with a side discharge deck.

Thank you, the engine is really amazing but the 17" discharge opening on the Bad Boy helps a great deal also, getting the grass out of the deck as quick as possible takes a load off the motor.

Thanks BUT NO Thanks rain I will try to send but sing at my next wedding NO :nono: not going to be another one this is my 4th one and I am to old and cranky now to start over. I Would be lost if any thing every happened to Andrea for sure :cry:

Man, I would have never lived through 4, I'm glad you finally got the right one. That can cost a lot of money demoing all those wives.

Mickhippy
07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Beautiful around the lake there mate!

So where do you stand with the 2 machines? Whats ya thinkin? lol

puppypaws
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Beautiful around the lake there mate!

So where do you stand with the 2 machines? Whats ya thinkin? lol

I can't comment yet because the cut quality has not been as good as I thought it should be. The outside sales person for the dealer came this morning and I raised the mower up in the air where we could check the blades and spindles. The first thing we found was the blade on the discharge side was bent by someone on another demo and it only had 28 hrs. on the mower when they delivered it to me. The blades were taken off and sharpened before the mower was delivered, I guess they did not pay much attention to how straight the blades actually were.

He measured the pitch on the deck and said it should have 1/8" to 1/4" and the deck was a full inch lower in the front than the back, he said it was also off from side to side. He is taking it back to the shop and putting a new set of blades on and having his tech adjust the deck as close to perfection as possible. Then I will be able to give a fair review of the cut also, I am pleased with the ride and speed of the mower at this point. I am just very careful and precise on the different points that make a zero turn mower good or bad before I will give my opinion.

Rottman
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Well PP I guess you get to start all over now. Oh well I'm sure you are enjoying the challenge. At least you guys figured out a problem. I was concern about the quality of cut you were getting and thinking another bad deck design. Keep us posted on the new deck set up.

kjslawn
07-06-2007, 06:23 PM
My everide warrior will cut EYE HIGH grass it crazy have to go over twice.

puppypaws
07-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Well PP I guess you get to start all over now. Oh well I'm sure you are enjoying the challenge. At least you guys figured out a problem. I was concern about the quality of cut you were getting and thinking another bad deck design. Keep us posted on the new deck set up.

I am going to start another thread after I run the new set up for a while. I will say this, the deck has now been set to as near perfect as it can be done by a human. We were not able to mow very much because it started pouring rain.

We decided to set it up here and he brought a special measuring tool designed for this purpose. We put brand new fusion blades that are sharpened almost all the way to the spindle on the Bad Boy. They look exactly like the ones on my Super Z and I really like this blade for my type of cutting.

We then set the deck up, which I will explain later. He took the mower to an area I left that had Dallas Grass and Buckhorn Plantain, I followed him with the Super Z. I watched him mow wide open about 200' turn around and come back. I looked very closely and did not see anything it left, before when I cut over Buckhorn Plantain at half speed it would not cut 10% of the clump and left stragglers in a lot of places.

I put the Hustler side by side and we took off together and at the end of the 200' I was only about 4 mower lengths in front of him just guessing.

I will discuss this more later but the Bad Boy is very fast.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes ,PP Please explain the deck set-up.:laugh:

puppypaws
07-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Yes ,PP Please explain the deck set-up.:laugh:

I will go ahead and tell you the procedure we used. This special tool makes it so much easier to set a deck up. Jay sells Scag, Exmark, Toro and Bad Boy as his main line of zero turn mowers and he said the Bad Boy was by far the easiest to adjust and he had adjusted them all.

We put the mower on a flat concrete floor and set the hydraulic deck to the number 3 1/2 on the gage. He turned the blades to be pointed straight front to back with the mower, he put the measuring tool under the front of the blade and it measured 2 3/4", this did not match. He then turned the adjusting links on both sides of the deck (looks like the top link on the three point hitch of a tractor) to raise the end of the blades to a 3 1/2" cutting height on both outside blades under the deck. When he finished this setting he then checked the back end of the blade and it just work out good to be between 1/8" and 1/4" higher in the back so he then tightened the locking nuts on each end of the adjusting links.

He said Bad Boy really thought about making these adjustments easy because if we were doing this to a Scag or Exmark it would take over twice and maybe three times as long and a lot more aggravation.

I questioned him about the different mowers he sells and this is what he said, "the Exmark gives the better cut in plush limp grass because of the suction but it is necessary to clean the underside of the deck more often. The Scag I would consider to be the best build and design and gives a very good cut, there is not any noticeable difference in the cut of the Scag and Toro the only difference is the Toro is not built as strong and hired people will damage them easier". He then said that the Bad Boy was coming on pretty strong for a new company and he really looked for them to play a bigger part in the market within the next three years and they really listen to there customers.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 08:23 PM
THKS PP ,cause iam having some trouble with the cut quality of my Hustler.