PDA

View Full Version : Help with Brush Cutting Quotes

elrojo63
07-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I am 16 years old and have been asked by a neighbor to give hime a quote for cutting down 1.75 acres of brush. It's thick stuff, with vines and small trees. I have a chainsaw and a brushcutter to do the work. I am wondering how to charge (hourly, or flat rate), and what my price should be for each option. I would like to continue this business in the future, and any advice for any kind of lawncare or brush clearing work would be greatly appreciated.

KrayzKajun
07-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Charge by the hour!! charge enough to make a profit and not overwork yourself. With just a chain and a brush cutter i would charge between $75-$100/hr

Jay Ray
07-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Bushogging is advertised here for $75 an hour 2 hour minimum all the time. So it will be hard to get that with handheld equipment which is so much slower. But for sure bid it hourly and not by the job. Remember you got expenses: fuel, mix, chain oil, chain sharpenings, and brush blade replacements, maybe a shop repair, and wear and tear on your stuff -- you are using up your equipment in the service of your customer.

Once you start using equipment for business it really isn't yours anymore, it's just a hole you throw money into.

KrayzKajun
07-04-2007, 02:37 AM
Bushogging is advertised here for $75 an hour 2 hour minimum all the time. So it will be hard to get that with handheld equipment which is so much slower. But for sure bid it hourly and not by the job. Remember you got expenses: fuel, mix, chain oil, chain sharpenings, and brush blade replacements, maybe a shop repair, and wear and tear on your stuff -- you are using up your equipment in the service of your customer.

Once you start using equipment for business it really isn't yours anymore, it's just a hole you throw money into.

thanks for the signature quote

elrojo63
07-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the quick replies everybody. That is a pretty high price for hourly. I'm new to the business and im just suprised. I've seen in other peoples posts about charging by the hour, and to some people who work a factory job the hourly price seeming pretty high especially compared to what they make per hour. Any idea how long this job is going to take. It will probably be just me most of the time, and maybe one other person. I know the client pretty well and know he makes an hourly wage, I'd like to get an estimate on how long it would take and see what a flat rate would be around. I know one thing I won't have to deal with here will be apying for epairs. I am buying new equipment so it will still be under warranty.

KTO Enterprises
07-04-2007, 03:21 PM
I charge 125 to 150 per hour for bush hogging. Although I use a very large tractor to do the work. What kind of brushcutter will you be using.

elrojo63
07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I will be a husqvarna handheld. Probably a 326 and also a husq 240 chainsaw. This stuff is to thick to run a tractor around in and to tall for a billy goat. I might use one if he wants it all pushed to the center.

KTO Enterprises
07-05-2007, 05:55 PM
If its too thick for a tractor be ready to spend a lot of time there. Make sure he realizes that it will be a lot of hours. (Over 40) My tractor will mow anything up to 4 inches in diameter.