PDA

View Full Version : lawnboy hard starting

lawnboyguru
07-03-2007, 11:41 PM
i have a lawnboy 21 inch cut sp model R8237 serial 96????
it has a new plug airfilter carb cleaned added fuel filter it takes 10 to 15 pulls
to start but once running it runs great :confused:
if you have the answer type ahead

dutch1
07-04-2007, 06:56 AM
There are a number of things that could be wrong with your Lawn Boy, the primary one being that its 28 years old. From the condition (hard starting) I would suggest you check: compression (or lack thereof), excessive wear in the lower crankshaft journal (horizontal side play in crank), lower cranshaft seal out or missing, partially plugged exhaust ports, air leak at the case halves(where the two parts of the block are bolted together). You might also want to check for carbon stuck rings while you have the muffler off to check for port blockage.

Unfortunately, most LB's that age are worn out and not cost effective to repair.

Dutch

khouse
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Even if the cylinder is worn a new set of rings and crank seals will get you a few more years of good service. I have seen several LB short blocks sell on ebay for $90 or less. You can still buy short blocks for it through major small engine parts houses.

Indy452
07-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Yup, check compression.

Are you running a champion cj14 or the equivilant? The coil may be going bad you can check the gap with a business card between the flywheel magnets and the coil. Should be .010. Some of those older carbs have an adjustment on the carb for fuel/air mixture setting. I can't remember how many turns of the screw off hand but this link should know.

https://lookup2.toro.com/gateway/acrobat/manuals/lball.html

I still think overhauls on this engine are cost effective.

Neal

Bill Kapaun
07-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Might be a choke/primer problem?