PDA

View Full Version : Layout Problem with wall

Mike33
07-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Here is our current job wall 115' x 4'. Set base course and second course yesterday, customer came home from work and didnt like layout. I had another soft turn with some charactor since the wall was so long but they didnt like it. We had to pull around 35 blocks and re-set base now they are happy. Has any one else ever had a mis communication like this and had to change your work? Thinking of ways i could have prevented this. We had around an extra 4 hours of work doing this. But this is how they want it and very happy, makes my pay day.
Mike

chesie
07-04-2007, 01:18 AM
This is why we use scaled drawings for everything and then have it as part of the contract with the client signing the drawing for approval. I know it is alot of extra paperwork but CYA.

BTW it sucks that you had to go through that but w/o a drawing it is hard to place blame.

ChampionLS
07-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Eeek... Alan block (haha). Anyway... I would have put some stakes out to outline the proposed area. If they changed their mind then, they should compensate you for your lost time. Was it really that important to modify the layout from what you had originally done?

waltero
07-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I do the same thing, scaled drawings with a clients signature.

This is why we use scaled drawings for everything and then have it as part of the contract with the client signing the drawing for approval. I know it is alot of extra paperwork but CYA.

BTW it sucks that you had to go through that but w/o a drawing it is hard to place blame.

kootoomootoo
07-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Waiting for the "I thought it would be a darker shade of tan Mike."

skidster32
07-04-2007, 02:55 PM
i would have poured a footing

Bill S
07-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Short of scaled drawing signed off by client, spray paint also works very well! Now the client can really envision that soft curve.... They see exactly where the wall will start and stop....

Spray out 48 hours to commencement of job, touch base 24 hours prior to start and hopefully everything is good.

PatriotLandscape
07-04-2007, 04:22 PM
i would have poured a footing

what are you talking about? that is a SRW wall you don't pour footings.

PatriotLandscape
07-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Do you usually use clean stone for your base? I have seen it done before but was not sure how it held up. All the specs I have read said to use dense grade (proc. gravel.)

richallseasons
07-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Short of scaled drawing signed off by client, spray paint also works very well! Now the client can really envision that soft curve.... They see exactly where the wall will start and stop....

Spray out 48 hours to commencement of job, touch base 24 hours prior to start and hopefully everything is good.

How many times have you dealt with a customer that even after you have provided a drawing and marked the site and explained it 22 times they still have no clue as to what it will look like and when your done is only when you here "so thats what you had in mind":hammerhead: some people just have no imagination or perception

Bill S
07-04-2007, 04:51 PM
We use ProLandscape now, so much less is left to the clients imagination! However, there is always something that the client will say, "Oh, I like it, but it isn't what I thought...."

Mike33
07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Do you usually use clean stone for your base? I have seen it done before but was not sure how it held up. All the specs I have read said to use dense grade (proc. gravel.)

I have been using clean stone for10 years no problem but i intall pipe undrneath and have it turned out. I learned from ab concept and that was how they instructed me. However, this job was clay and like any other one like that i dug down to solid in this case around 18" then applied crusher run in 6" lifts then compacted. I then used around 2-3" of clean stone for leveling and proceeded. What you mainly see here as far as the clean stone was when we tore it apart and shoveled it out for re-alighment. Yes, lately i have been hearing especially on this site about the total crusher run base method. When i went for ncma course and test it was discussed and okeyed. I stated with my 10 year plus experience and now over 200 walls ( if that means crap ) i havent had a problem. I think its a common sence issue also that you have to be able to drain that wall and i have always understood that concept. In most of our areas we build walls are on a vertical slope and the water can naturally drain down hill with the wall and exit. This particular one here besides in the middle i have the pipe coming under the wall about 7-8' before the ends. Also if you noticed the slope behind the wall i went up on landing and dug a ditch , now the only water that will get to the wall is only about a 10-12' area. i think then with the 70 ton of 57's behind it i have taken the a lot of pressure from it.
Mike

Mike33
07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Eeek... Alan block (haha). Anyway... I would have put some stakes out to outline the proposed area. If they changed their mind then, they should compensate you for your lost time. Was it really that important to modify the layout from what you had originally done?
I had to excavate the bank back and placing stakes would of given a false reading.
Mike

Mike33
07-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Okey, i have prolandscape vol. 12 and when it comes to the walls it sucks, at least for me any way. I think it would be hard to get 115' area in a pic then do the imaging editor. Scaled drawings, probably not bad idea but we took a bank back 6-7' excavated footer, installed base and layed first course in 10 hours while the homeowner was at work. I think really it was a little bad luck on my part and my turn to pay dues. I had a general concept that i felt confident of what the guy wanted, i had a couple nice turns giving the wall some charator on my out look of it. But the guys wife told me her husband is very plain and like things simple. Really the best thing i could of done was to do the base prep work of leveling pad and handed him a can of spray paint. Then start to build the wall next day. Hope this doesent happen to me or any one else here. But its not the end of the world if you can spend an extra 4 hours on a job this size and make the customer happy. When they get there pool installed i will be going back in august to build a 50' x 8' wall then do complete landscaping of front yard.
Mike

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Eeek... Alan block (haha).

That is not "alan block"

It is Cornerstone. Which is a GREAT block. I swear by it.

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I too swear by scaled drawings with signatures, for legal purposes.

Fact of the matter is - for most retaining walls, unless you pay a surveyor, it is not possible to do accurate scaled drawings.

95% of our gravity walls never are drawn out on paper. What is the sense when it will not be accurate. So I just typically layout a gargen house and mark with marking paint beforehand.

Mike33
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Garden hose. hmm not a bad idea.
Mike

carcrz
07-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I use a nylon rope. It is easy to move & doesn't take up any space in the truck.

neversatisfiedj
07-09-2007, 11:02 AM
That is allan block ! Mike did you use a screed for the base since the wall is so long ? 35 block reset in 240 minutes. Not bad.

Mike33
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
No Josh, my typical way of leveling kind of old school. The leveling pad was already of couse set, customer just didnt like the character i had a small serpentine which i liked. Keep in mind i had 2 labors so really 12 man hours. What was funny it was about 25 blocks before end of wall, okey straighten it out block will never fit in between last section i tore out. Glad i went to church that week i went to sit block and it was only 3/8" to long. Cut the end fit right in. I just finished today and got paid for it i will post some pics later. We was able to get 3 courses up that day, off wed., 3 more on thursday which completed the 6 couses, mudded out friday, and capped today. I had the wife to agree every course was okey. My 2 labors is going to do some shrubbery tomm. but i feel good that we worked it out and got paid.
Mike

PerfiCut L&L
07-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Spray paint all jobs. Customer and crews both a visual of where the project lies. Not that it matters a lot at this point, becuase if the customer changes the designe/layout then the labor/materials usually change too, so its back to the desk for a change order.

Spray paint it.