PDA

View Full Version : Lost My First Bid

VO Landscape Design
07-04-2007, 01:48 AM
This is my very first bid. A gentleman calls me up and wanted me to bid on a some properties he needed some work done on in a neighboring town. They were some of his rental properties, single brick level apartments, three of them. He needed 46 shrubs trimmed (spirea and evergreens between 2-3' tall), 25 new ones (remove old), about 30' of concrete edging, put down about 2500 sq. ft. of mulch and weed the beds before mulching (not many weeds). He has the concrete edging and the mulch from previous installs on other property in the same block. Each of the 3 areas are accessible from the street, piece of cake to get too. He also has an area to dump the trimmings and old dead plants. I was to providing the plants. Can you give me a rough estimate on this job? So as to limit embarrassment a little while longer I will post my bid after a few replies!!
Thanks all
VO

procut
07-04-2007, 02:11 AM
I would tell you what I would bid, but I need more info. Do you have to remove 25 old buhes and put in 25 new ones? How big are the ones that need to be removed? What will they need to be replaced with? Also elaborate on the concrete edging.

topsites
07-04-2007, 02:17 AM
I don't like bidding blind because blind spots increase the price, pictures would help.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't like the sound of things, anyway...

Removing the old bushes can be a mayor PITA... Sometimes they come right out, other times the root system is extensive and thick and the soil rock hard and it takes an hour each, unless you have an excavator but either way it's not cheap... There's no telling without sticking a shovel in, you have to call Miss Utility first, but there's no haul fee. 200 just for the debris cleanup from the trimming and the bushes. New bushes aren't cheap either, and I don't believe in planting in temperatures over 85, really cooler is better, 65-75 is perfect, you probably did the right thing bidding high.

I might can find new ones for 2-3 dollars each, being it's off season they might be on sale, then again 25 might be tough to find, an easy 150 here and another 150 in labor, 300 for the new ones, remove the old ones 400 and you still stand a chance of getting severely burned unless they come right out. Mulch, 600...

Oh yeah, hedge trim 46? I'd guess I can get it done between 60-120... But at 2-3 dollars each it's an easy 100...

What have we here, 100 + 200 + 300 + 400 + 600, 1600 and maybe as low as 1200 - 1400 would be my absolute lowest and I'm hurting for work which means it probably ought to be double that... I could do it cheaper but just from the sound of things it looks to be a week's worth of work... If you quoted 2g I don't think you'd be that far off, you can't do it for less than a thousand just in mulch and the 25 bushes removed AND new ones planted, the cost of it, a thousand's nowhere near enough...

Could even be 3g, hard to say without seeing it, just some figures anyhow.

AGLA
07-04-2007, 09:15 AM
My guess is that you bid it correctly because you did not get it. An owner of multiple properties that takes bids from new landscapers is looking to get work done cheap. These are not the best jobs for new companies to be bidding at because this type of owner typically is looking to exploit lack of experience. The lack of experience is not in doing the work. It is in writing contracts, estimating time, and having the notion that the property owner will supply them with lots of work (so they try extra hard to get the job).

Stick to home owners as they tend to want someone that not only can do nice work, but who they feel they like personally. They also do not generally look to bring in lots of contractors to see who can under bid the next guy. Also, smaller jobs are more forgiving if a mistake is made in the bidding or contract.

mattfromNY
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
If this guy has edging and a pile of mulch from 'other projects', who was working for him before, and why aren't they doing this project? Sounds fishy. I've run into it before 'Oh, the other guy I had didnt have the right equipment', or 'he just had too many other jobs going on'... Usually whenever I've heard this, the homeowner turns out to be a PITA to work for, and I find out really quick why someone else isnt doing the project. You're probably better off, and all the wiser. Move on to bigger and better things.

VO Landscape Design
07-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I would tell you what I would bid, but I need more info. Do you have to remove 25 old buhes and put in 25 new ones? How big are the ones that need to be removed? What will they need to be replaced with? Also elaborate on the concrete edging.

Remove all the old bushes and replace with new, #1-#3 size pots. They are not very big (2') and should come out easy. The concrete edging is 2' long and looks like an L shape if you look at it from the end.
VO

VO Landscape Design
07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I bid at $2000. Nice to know I was close to some estimates. Never really know when you are starting out. The winning bid was $849. I want to be around when this gets done!! July heat and all here in IA.
VO

procut
07-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I would have been way out the ball park. 2500 sq ft is going to take about 23 yards of mulch at a 3" depth. I don't know what the 'new bushes' are going to be, or how much they are going to cost. Just guessing here, I would be at leat $2000. The guy that bid $849 is a low baller.

sheshovel
07-05-2007, 02:49 AM
Don't feel bad, happens to the best of us. At least you did not go too low, win it and end up working for nothing right?

cpel2004
07-05-2007, 04:24 AM
That's great consider yourself one step closer to landing a contract. Remember figure "your cost" if you win then that great but if you lose dont consider it a loss. Your getting closer. Just my two cents.

Stillwater
07-05-2007, 06:52 AM
don't feel bad VO I would have Not gotten the job either, and I have been doing this a long time, their is no F-in way I would do that for around 800 no way...........be happy

AGLA
07-05-2007, 07:52 AM
It sounds like the property owner sought out new guys in order to find one who would work cheap. I guess he found someone and hope you are glad it was not you.

VO Landscape Design
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I drive by the area once in awhile so I look forward to seeing what kind of work they did.
VO

kandklandscape
07-06-2007, 12:10 AM
dont do a job just to say you did it, estimate was fair 849 he will have problems paying his guys next week!