PDA

View Full Version : flex forks

Jeepster
07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Do they make that much of a difference?

elrojo63
07-04-2007, 12:12 PM

The difference is immense. I live right down the road from a hustler dealer and have tried out almost every model with and without flex forks. The ride is so much smoother especially if you get into any terrain with slightly clumpy grass like some pastures. In my opinion the flex forks are worth the $200. I know they'll be on my superz when I get it.

Runner
07-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm still having trouble grasping this concept of how these things work. It seems,...that if if these things flex downward, it would cause the front of the deck to lower to some extent. Now,...one thing to consider in this is that as the wheels lower, th wheelbase IS going to shorten - that would actually counter the lowering effect. However, I would love to see a set of these close up to see the actual travel of these.
Now,...I am the same way about the Ferris' suspension. It would seem that it the whole tractor dips - and the deck is hanging directly from the tractor, then the deck itself would dip, also.

JW Lawn
07-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I have a pair and would not mow without them...i was worried about the front "diving" with them, but i haven't noticed a difference..And they have shortened mowing time on some of my bigger HOA'S ..worth every penny in my opinion!!

GreenT
07-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Try them. You'll notice a huge difference not only on the smoothness of the ride but also in your ability to maintain a straigh line in rough conditions.

On smooth lawns is like the front is riding on air.

rodfather
07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Can someone post a pic of them?

TLS
07-04-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm still having trouble grasping this concept of how these things work. It seems,...that if if these things flex downward, it would cause the front of the deck to lower to some extent. Now,...one thing to consider in this is that as the wheels lower, th wheelbase IS going to shorten - that would actually counter the lowering effect. However, I would love to see a set of these close up to see the actual travel of these.
Now,...I am the same way about the Ferris' suspension. It would seem that it the whole tractor dips - and the deck is hanging directly from the tractor, then the deck itself would dip, also.

On the Ferris, the deck hangs from the suspension arms. As the tires hit the bump, they move the A-Arms and the deck hangs from them.

Yes, the Flex-Forks can cause "Crop Circles". They aren't for everybody. But they do ride real nice.

rodfather
07-04-2007, 02:31 PM
I find it extremely hard to believe that just a pair of flex forks on the front of a Hustler Z would make it ride better than the full independent suspension on the Ferris Z's (I currently own 4). I guess I would have to demo one to be a believer. Unfortuantely, Hustler has no presence in my general area.

I would still like to see a pic of them though installed.

TLS
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
I would still like to see a pic of them though installed.

Search some of puppypaws posts. He has pics of them.

Imow4u2
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
They're good for 2-300 hrs., then they are fatigued and the co. will do nothing about it because they're not broken.... (Kind of like DC and the bent forks) I heard Puppypaws complain of this and did not see a difference until this spring when we got the new 60 with Flex Forks. There is a big difference in ride height between the two, close to an inch and a half.. 150 hrs. vs, 450 hrs. I'm still satisfied with the performance of the newer pair but I'm sure it will be short lived...

Duncan90si
07-04-2007, 04:03 PM
i have ran a Hustler Z 60" and am currently running a Super Z 60" both with flex forks. I really like them. I personally have had no experience with them wearing out or getting weak. They do make a huge difference over regular forks. I don't think I would say they ride better than a Ferris's IFS but they are definately worth the money. There is about 2" of travel with the flex forks.

Since I am feeling like such a nice guy I went out and pulled the Super Z off of the trailer and snapped a few pics for you guys. In the one pic only one fork is supporting the weight of the mower and its compressed not even half of the total travel.

Runner- When they compress the wheel does move backwards slighty thus shortening the wheel base. This helps in preventing scalping if you think about it. Take a Jeep Wrangler and a four door, long bed pickup and see which one will bottom out first going over a mound or cresting the top of a hill. Its similar with the flex forks since they shorten the wheel base when compressed its less likely to bottom out or scalp.

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Can someone post a pic of them?

Would not mow without them, if I had to pay $200.00 every 200 hrs. I would, because they make that much difference. I see now we did not need these pictures, sorry.

rodfather
07-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks Duncan, I think I understand the concept behind them now...is the ride that much harder without them?

TLS
07-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Duncan,

Your still running the front baffle kit?

I found it to be no improvement whatsoever and it severely hurt my high speed cut.

tshank
07-05-2007, 02:01 AM
They're good for 2-300 hrs., then they are fatigued and the co. will do nothing about it because they're not broken.... (Kind of like DC and the bent forks) I heard Puppypaws complain of this and did not see a difference until this spring when we got the new 60 with Flex Forks. There is a big difference in ride height between the two, close to an inch and a half.. 150 hrs. vs, 450 hrs. I'm still satisfied with the performance of the newer pair but I'm sure it will be short lived...

400 hrs., no change as yet.

Envy Lawn Service
07-05-2007, 02:49 AM
As I've said before, I'd like to have a set of these on my Ztwo just for the additional fork rake the forks have.

Has anyone installed these themselves that could tell me something about how the yoke/shaft and bearing, etc is made... diameter, length, etc...

I bet they are too small in all dimensions to work for me...

Duncan90si
07-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Duncan,

Your still running the front baffle kit?

I found it to be no improvement whatsoever and it severely hurt my high speed cut.

I'm running with the mulch kit on. I have ran without the front baffle when I was discharging. The dealer said that the front baffle would help keep the grass from blowing out the front when mulching, so I put it on. I have only had it installed for about a week now.

lawnspecialties
07-05-2007, 08:55 AM

No.

Yes, they do make some difference but not "that much" of a difference. I run them but they do have their negatives. If you cut low (warm season turf) or have a few dips and rough areas, they can flex too much and cause "scalping rings" throughout the turf.:confused:

puppypaws
07-05-2007, 11:30 AM
No.

Yes, they do make some difference but not "that much" of a difference. I run them but they do have their negatives. If you cut low (warm season turf) or have a few dips and rough areas, they can flex too much and cause "scalping rings" throughout the turf.:confused:

They will not do this unless they have become weakened or were to weak to begin with.

They do make a tremendous difference in ride. I have experienced a set that got weak with time and had to be changed at 152 hrs. When they had gotten weaker the dipping and circles would show up where before they did not. I put the new set on and it was the difference in night and day, no more dipping or lower cut areas.

I cut at 2.75" all the time and it does a wonderful job, no problems at all. I am saying I have seen both sides and if you have the dipping problem they are weak because you will not see this if they are at the strength they are suppose to be.

There is more people than just me that has seen the weakening problem and Hustler will not acknowledge the fact. My own dealer has seen the problem and told me that was the first problem he had seen from Hustler they would not admit. They changed mine under warranty but said they would not be changing any more.

rodfather
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Think I'll stick with Ferris

lawnspecialties
07-05-2007, 07:29 PM
They will not do this unless they have become weakened or were to weak to begin with.

They do make a tremendous difference in ride. I have experienced a set that got weak with time and had to be changed at 152 hrs. When they had gotten weaker the dipping and circles would show up where before they did not. I put the new set on and it was the difference in night and day, no more dipping or lower cut areas.

I cut at 2.75" all the time and it does a wonderful job, no problems at all. I am saying I have seen both sides and if you have the dipping problem they are weak because you will not see this if they are at the strength they are suppose to be.

There is more people than just me that has seen the weakening problem and Hustler will not acknowledge the fact. My own dealer has seen the problem and told me that was the first problem he had seen from Hustler they would not admit. They changed mine under warranty but said they would not be changing any more.

I was not aware of this. If that truly is the case but Hustler won't admit it, that's their choice. But it will continue to be my choice to tell others not to expect too much for their $200.:)

DiyDave
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Has any Dixie Chopper owner had any experience with the spring loaded forks that Dixie offers as an option?:waving: :waving:

puppypaws
07-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I was not aware of this. If that truly is the case but Hustler won't admit it, that's their choice. But it will continue to be my choice to tell others not to expect too much for their $200.:)

I honestly don't know how this happens but you can stand up on the tubing going to the fork on a set that has gotten fatigued and then do the same to a new set and you can tell your weight moves the old set up and down much easier than the new set. This means you will have to much up and down motion on a set that is weak and it will bob up and down like a fishing cork.

This crept up on me over time and when I realized there was a problem it had been gradually getting worse without me noticing until it started nose diving when you would stop to turn around leaving scalp circles in the grass.

When the new ones were put on I thought to myself this is unbelievable how much difference the ride and cut is. The reason I did not catch this sooner is because it happens so gradually over time you don't realize it until there is enough change to get your attention.

When you get it back the way it is suppose to be it is a completely different machine. I told Hustler the rubber needed to be strengthen beyond where it starts now so if there is a set point it settles into it will come to the point it should to be. Hustler said there was not a problem with them, so that was that.

You personally have the same problem and you should make them aware of it.
I promise when they are right you will not have the bobbing up and down causing the problems you described.

This is the same kind of torsion rubber used on the Bad Boy suspension and I don't see it ever getting fatigued. I feel assured Hustler's problem could be stopped entirely by making the rubber stiffer to begin with.

I found this and it is exactly how the flex forks work, this company may have built them.
http://www.al-kousa.com/prod_rubsus.htm
Scroll up and it shows it perfectly.

fergman
07-15-2007, 06:53 PM
i have a set of flex forks on my exmark 60" ultracut 31hp. i had my dad to make a shaft at his work. torched the hustler shaft off and welded mine on. it has to be just right to fit the exmark bearings just right. then we welded a steel plate on to make the flexforks set out further from the deck because they were hitting the deck when they would flex all the way back. i have a field behind my house i could go full speed over a bad bump and my butt would come out of the seat and my spine felt like it shot through the base of my skull. NOW with the flex forks on i can hit it full speed and have my 3 year old daughter riding on my lap and its actually comfortable. i havent seen any dips or circles. i canmow across the end of a ditch with one wheel on the end pipe and one wheel in mid air and it doesnt cut it to the dirt. i THINK the front end of the hustler 66" deck is quite heavier than my mower is in the front. i demoed a hustler 66" and hated the quality of cut. that was before the update kit came out. but i had to make a set of flex forks for the exmark. i WILL get some pics of what we made and be more than glad to post so people can see. i just have to get a cord for my cell phone to put them on my computer.:)

puppypaws
07-15-2007, 09:43 PM
i have a set of flex forks on my exmark 60" ultracut 31hp. i had my dad to make a shaft at his work. torched the hustler shaft off and welded mine on. it has to be just right to fit the exmark bearings just right. then we welded a steel plate on to make the flexforks set out further from the deck because they were hitting the deck when they would flex all the way back. i have a field behind my house i could go full speed over a bad bump and my butt would come out of the seat and my spine felt like it shot through the base of my skull. NOW with the flex forks on i can hit it full speed and have my 3 year old daughter riding on my lap and its actually comfortable. i havent seen any dips or circles. i canmow across the end of a ditch with one wheel on the end pipe and one wheel in mid air and it doesnt cut it to the dirt. i THINK the front end of the hustler 66" deck is quite heavier than my mower is in the front. i demoed a hustler 66" and hated the quality of cut. that was before the update kit came out. but i had to make a set of flex forks for the exmark. i WILL get some pics of what we made and be more than glad to post so people can see. i just have to get a cord for my cell phone to put them on my computer.:)

That would really be interesting for everybody to see, please post a few pictures.

Thanks