PDA

View Full Version : My next problem.....

smikes
07-04-2007, 09:57 AM
When I bought my house, an older lady who had had it covered the backyard which is a strip 20 ft wide by 60 ft long with pea size stone so she wouldn't have to mow. When we moved in enough orgaic matter had accumulated for grass to grow in and in the 14 years since had turned into a decent yardthough the stone are still less then an inch down.

Now I am seeing dead patches and the stone in that area are closer to top.Sometimes I use a grass catcher when mow so I don't get too much of a thatch build up.

I relize that when I moved in the best thing I should have done was scrape the stones off and brought some topsoil in but at that time money was tight. Can I work topsoil into this yard now and if so what is the proper method? Should I do it in fall and dump alot ,level it and reseed? Is there a type of soil I should look for or an organic I should mix to it?

Ric3077
07-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I would just topdress the whole area with an 1 inch of screened topsoil....then reseed it, then add a thin layer of more soil on top about half a centimeter is fine...then water every morning for 14 days, do this in the fall.

KrayzKajun
07-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I would just topdress the whole area with an 1 inch of screened topsoil....then reseed it, then add a thin layer of more soil on top about half a centimeter is fine...then water every morning for 14 days, do this in the fall.

Ditto! I would do the same

M.C.L.C.
07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Couple things, just so you know mulching, or not catching your grass when you mow does not have any effect what so ever on your thatch layer, but thats a different story. Yeah you should have scraped off some rock and filled in with soil but now that would be even more of a pain. You can do what the guys above have said and that will most likely be your best bet. However...you may want to try a slightly easier less time consuming treatment first and see if it works. Go to Home Depot, or lowes or somewhere like that and look for Milorganite. This is somewhat of a soil activator, it has a small amount of iron in it which will help green the grass back up, along with put more organic material down for the longer run. You may have to do this every year but would save you some time if it works. We use it a lot on areas where homes have been built on dump sites with great success

Bill S
07-04-2007, 01:39 PM
One thing I would check is how deep the stone is in this area. The soil may be draining too quickly not allowing the roots to take in sufficient water!

Dig a couple 1 square foot areas and see what you have for soil/stone...

If you are faced with 3" or more of stone near the surface this may be one of your problems. Also, stone will hold heat longer again stressing your turf.