PDA

View Full Version : How many hours is too many on a ZTR mower?

zz4guy
07-04-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm looking at a John Deere 737 with 1800 hours on it. What is the lifetime of a typical ZTR mower when it is used commercially and serviced regularly?

Is this unit close to the end of its life?

Eric D
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
I don’t believe anyone here can give you an answer that will apply to your situation. It is like asking how long will a truck last. There are far too many variables. If the 737 was maintained better then the manufactures recommendations it might last another 500 hours with normal maintenance. If you are using for home use or as a backup unit it might be fine, but if you are planning to use it for business, I would think twice about getting a machine with this many hours. There will be down times.

More information would be helpful too. What year is it, what engine, what size deck, and photos help as well.

Best of luck in your hunt for a new zero turn,:)

Eric D

Restrorob
07-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Something to keep in mind, Especially on a higher hour unit; Deere just loves rippin pockets on replacement parts.

zz4guy
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
It cost me $150 for a damn axle for my JD snowblower last winter. I know what you mean by ripping pockets!

Here's the excerpt on the ad. I do plan on using it commercially, but I am only a part time guy. It might get used 10hrs a week max this year and hopefully 10-20hrs/wk next year.

I could make do with my 36" if the JD did go down. I just dont have enough accounts right now to justify $4500 on a newer one. This is my first year in business and I'm mainly buying this JD to try out on my larger accounts and see how it would work for next year when I get some larger commercial accounts.

2001 JOHN DEERE 737 ZTRAK

COMMERCIAL MOWER

54" 7 IRON DECK

23 HP KAWASAKI V-TWIN

2001 JOHN DEERE 737 ZTRACK ZERO TURN COMMERCIAL MOWER. 54" 7 IRON MOWING DECK. FH680D-AS04 KAWASAKI 23 HP HORIZONTAL V-TWIN ENGINE. 1822 WELL MAINTAINED HOURS. JUST SERVICED BEFORE LISTING, READY TO MOW. FULL SERVICE EVERY 100 HOURS OF USE. SERVICE INCLUDED: CHANGE OIL AND FILTER, REPLACED (NOT BLOW OUT) THE AIR FILTER AND PRE-FILTER, GREASE THE ENTIRE MACHINE. REMOVE, SHARPEN, AND BALANCE THE MOWER BLADES, SCRAPE OUT UNDER THE DECK, CHECK ALL BELTS AND PULLEYS, REPLACED AS REQUIRED. ALL NEW TIRES AT THE END OF LAST SEASON. NEW MUFFLER. ADJUSTED THE VALVES. NEW ENGINE TO DECK BELT AND 2 NEW PULLEYS. NO CUTS IN THE SEAT, JUST ONE SMALL MELTED SPOT, SEE PIX. THIS IS A GOOD WORKING MACHINE THAT WE WERE JUST KEEPING AS A SPARE SINCE LAST YEAR. NEED SOME ROOM IN THE SHOP, TIME TO SELL.

TLS
07-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Depends on the price. Looks like they replaced/repaired most things I would have said to look for.

Restrorob
07-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Hmmm, Didn't see nothing about hydro service ? I've heard that they get like $900.00 for a hydro pump.

Good Luck with what ever you decide.

MowerMedic77
07-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I posted some of this in another post a while back but this is some of the basic info from that post.

In an engine running 3600 rpms the piston will go up and down 435,000 times in one hour. In a car with an engine running 3600 rpms would have a ground speed of about 85 mph multiply this by 1800 hrs and you would have a car with 153,000 miles on it. What would you pay for a 2001 car with 153,000 miles on it? A commercial mower is not a car in many ways but its hard to get the seller of a piece of equipment to realize that, and usually they are trying to get top dollar for it(so they can buy a new unit) No matter how well maintained they may have kept it I can guarantee something will break or fail in the near future and you will be the one opening your wallet again.

TLS
07-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Hmmm, Didn't see nothing about hydro service ? I've heard that they get like $900.00 for a hydro pump.

Yeah, but you can start it up and run it around the parking lot and check that out prior to buying.

TLS
07-04-2007, 12:31 PM
I posted some of this in another post a while back but this is some of the basic info from that post.

In an engine running 3600 rpms the piston will go up and down 435,000 times in one hour. In a car with an engine running 3600 rpms would have a ground speed of about 85 mph multiply this by 1800 hrs and you would have a car with 153,000 miles on it. What would you pay for a 2001 car with 153,000 miles on it? A commercial mower is not a car in many ways but its hard to get the seller of a piece of equipment to realize that, and usually they are trying to get top dollar for it(so they can buy a new unit) No matter how well maintained they may have kept it I can guarantee something will break or fail in the near future and you will be the one opening your wallet again.

Excellent point!

But, we still don't know the asking price. He was talking about "newer" used units costing $4500. Seems to me this would be a decent deal for $2K.

Restrorob
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, but you can start it up and run it around the parking lot and check that out prior to buying.

A real check would be mowing at-least a hour giving time for everything to get to running temps. But that still won't tell you if something is going to cut loose a month down the road. It's just a gamble when purchasing used equipment.

TLS
07-04-2007, 12:46 PM
A real check would be mowing at-least a hour giving time for everything to get to running temps. But that still won't tell you if something is going to cut loose a month down the road. It's just a gamble when purchasing used equipment.Yes, but at 1/4 the price of new, I would think the buyer understands this.

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 12:50 PM
What would you pay for a 2001 car with 153,000 miles on it?

i paid $500 when i bought my first vehicle, it was a 2000 that had more miles than that, and was trouble free, and i sold it for twice what i paid 15,000 miles later. point being, if it is well maintained, as it appears to be, it will last even longer than the 1800 hours that it has.

Eric D
07-04-2007, 12:53 PM
TLS,

I sure you could start it up and tell if something major was wrong on this Deere, but seeing that Mike (zz4guy) is new and just starting out, I have to wonder if he could. I would hate to see him get burnt on a bad deal.

Does the seller offer and warranty? If it is such great shape, why are they selling this unit?

A high time unit as a primary machine just doesnít make sense to me. But maybe Iím missing something.

Eric D

zz4guy
07-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It is an ebay auction - right now its up to $1800 with a few days left. So you think $2000 is a good price? That was what I'm thinking too. If not a tad more like $2500.

It is fairly close to me ($100 in gas to go get it) yet it's out of state so I wont have to pay sales taxes on it.

It's always a toss up between buying from a private party versus dealer. A dealer has checked everything out but on the other hand you have to pay their inflated price and also the sales tax, which is not cheap.

TLS
07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Yikes, sight unseen....eBay....I don't know.

QualityLawnCare4u
07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Even though my 737 has been a good mower ( I am the only one who has ever used it) I would be scared of one with 1800 hours on it, no matter how well it was taken care of. That mower is probably close to the end of its life, then again it might go another 1000 hours but I would consider it a big gamble. Did not see what the price was though, if cheap enough as others said would be a good backup mower.

zz4guy
07-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Even though my 737 has been a good mower ( I am the only one who has ever used it) I would be scared of one with 1800 hours on it, no matter how well it was taken care of. That mower is probably close to the end of its life, then again it might go another 1000 hours but I would consider it a big gamble. Did not see what the price was though, if cheap enough as others said would be a good backup mower.

May I ask how many hours your 737 has on it? Are you happy with it?

Restrorob
07-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Yikes, sight unseen....eBay....I don't know.

Gotta agree ^^^^^ There's NO way I would buy anything without being able to kick the tires.

MowerMedic77
07-04-2007, 06:15 PM
i paid $500 when i bought my first vehicle

Thanks for the input guys. It is an ebay auction - right now its up to $1800 with a few days left. So you think $2000 is a good price? That was what I'm thinking too. If not a tad more like $2500.

My point exactly you paid $500 for a vehicle that more then likely was only driven on the road, and he is looking to pay $2000 for a commercial mower that has been run at full rpms most of its 1800hrs on the turf and dusty conditions.

Like I said a mower and car are not the same thing.

Let me ask you how long will it take(or how many lawns will this mower need to cut) for you to regain your $2000 investment?

gene gls
07-04-2007, 09:22 PM

It is fairly close to me ($100 in gas to go get it) yet it's out of state so I wont have to pay sales taxes on it.

It's always a toss up between buying from a private party versus dealer. A dealer has checked everything out but on the other hand you have to pay their inflated price and also the sales tax, which is not cheap.

Ask the seller if he can give you a copy of all the invoices for the last year, on this machine, of all repairs that were done. This way you will know for sure what was replaced, not just thier word.

lifetree
07-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy a used machine with that many hours on it !!

LarryF
07-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Is this unit close to the end of its life?

It seems to me that the answer to your question has been a resounding YES. I'd stay away from it too. I doubt if the only reason the current owner is getting rid of it is because he wants to now get one that is a different color.

DJL50
07-06-2007, 12:51 AM
It says "full service ever 100 hrs" Thought the oil should be changed every 50 hours?

djagusch
07-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Can you work on mowers? The mower can last alot longer if you are willing to put money in it. Major items that could go out are the motor, wheel motors, hydro pumps, and clutch. Minor things that will go bad on any mower you buy are spindles, tires, pulleys, and belts. All these can be replaced if the owner decides.

My dealer has a commerical guy that uses Scag 3 wheel mowers (he runs 5 each day). One mower has over 6,000 hours on it, 2nd motor (kohler 23hp), orginal pump and 2nd wheel motor, tires who knows and the 2nd set of spindles are pretty worn out.

My point is it can last as long as you want it to, unless you wreck the frame beyond repair.

biglawndog
05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
My JD 757 has over 7000 hrs on it. I'm on my 3rd engine, still has the original hydro pump and deck. The spindles are original also. The first engine, a Kawi 25hp had over 4000 hrs before it gave up the ghost. The second one I got 2500+.
Aside from the normal stuff you would expect to replace it has been a trouble free machine. That said this will be it's last summer, it's been good to me.