PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 14SB New Motor?

Kennygee
07-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I have an older JD 14SB and it is starting to get old in the tooth. I think I found a new kawasaki engine for it for $200.00. Is it worth doing it or should I just run it till it dies!! It does need new rear wheels and the tranny has never given me any problems. I was considering using this as my primary 21" mower . I will be doing 8-10 small yards a week. Thanks

BZB_Helpers
07-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Yeah it will handle it, i used my '89 model for 2 full season of 10 lawns. Keep the rear axle bushings greased, change oil frequently (do you have an oil filter on yours?, i dont). Mine was used by a homeowner for 13years (about 1 hour to cut a week), then became my mower for 2 years, now its a trim mower. Those wheels are expensive, around $20 here. I estimate mine to have around 800hrs. One thing i noticed is that the cable for the drive clutch breaks and then you have to push this 200lb monster, so get a spare.

Kennygee
07-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm pretty sure it will haandle it but do You think it is worth the money to do it and what else should I change ,replace while I have it torn apart. It looks like I will have lots of time with all the rain we have been getting here. Maybe I should invest in an ARK instead!!