PDA

View Full Version : What is "mulch" ?

john_incircuit
07-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Well,
one of our repeat customers called, was asking that we apply "mulch" to a small area.

We just started to apply triple shredded hardwood mulch, customer complaint, thought that "mulch" is pine bark nuggets.

This is not a big deal, didn't apply all that much. Just wondering... are pine bark nuggets commonly called "mulch" ?

Grn Mtn
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
no and yes. it acts like a "mulch" in that the nuggets help retain moisture and choke out weeds, but it is like saying you want a pizza and complain you get a calzone.

hell, even just saying you want mulch can get you in trouble.
- double or triple ground
- natural or colorized
- shredded bark or hardwood or ground pallets or cedar

don't feel bad, 99 percent of us would have done the same thing

Kiril
07-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Helps to know the difference between Mulch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulch) and Compost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost)

Next time when someone asks you for mulch I bet you will be asking what type. ;)

ADMIREDLAWNS
07-05-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm looking to put mulch on the side of my driveway and along the side of the house where my truck and trailer are parked. The city brush site has piles of mulch for free, but i've been told that it may carry bugs. I talked to the city workers and they say that the mulch is burned at a high temperature for a certain period of time to kill any pest.

Has anyone ever used this or am I setting myself up for problems?

turbo5560
07-05-2007, 11:33 PM
I would say that there is a chance that it has bugs. Bugs live in the tree not in the bark. So if you spread shredded hardwood bark there would be no bugs. But if you spread mulch that has been made out of the whole tree there would be a good chance that there are bugs in the mulch. If it's free there is a reason for it...

STRINGALATION
07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
for points and purps rock is a mulch

i never would have started applying with out a full expectation
black, red, pine bark lava rubber marble
i feel you set yourself up from that one .02