PDA

View Full Version : Looking for layout help.

paul jr
07-04-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm somewhat new to landscape lighting but I'm really trying to get into it. I have a job to layout and price. I need some help and opinions on what to use for lights. All the material will be kichler because i can get good deals threw a supplier that i go threw for other materials cause I'm an electrician. So don't beat on me to bad for not knowing more about low voltage lighting :hammerhead: but i do know the basics or at least i think i do. Plus reading other threads here you can learn a lot and get your balls broken at the same time:laugh: Ill put up some pics and any info would be very helpful and sorry about my picture skills. What the owner is looking for is some up lighting on the house and some trees. For the house i was thinking of 1 bullet or flood centered between the windows on both sides of the house and bullets for the up lighting the trees 6 of them. I don't think i should use wells because of the mulch all around the area to be lit up. I'm not sure of wattage and style lamps for the lights. I think the wattage should be less then 50 watts for any of the lights.

paul jr
07-04-2007, 04:25 PM
uplight the tree maybe a bullet

paul jr
07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Camera skills not good, but theres 2 trees they want to light up in the mix of what you see.

paul jr
07-04-2007, 04:30 PM
light up the small tree in front

paul jr
07-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Light up tree on left side of house next to porch stairs and tree on other side of stairs. Any info would help or suggestions on what you would do. They don't want to do any other light yet.

Pro-Scapes
07-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi Paul and welcome to the lighting section. Im stuck here today because my wife got stuck working at the hospital so I am waiting for her.

On the home. I would suggest 8 up lights... 50 w will be much to harsh I think. Stry to run a FMW which is a 35w 36 degree on the uplighting of the home... if thats too bright you can put a low voltage dimmer in or swap em out for 20w 36 or even a 24 deg. Be sure to check voltage tho

On the trees. I would use at least 2 fixtures per tree and possibly 3. If I went 3 I would place a low wattage bulb under the tree and then 2 more 20w bulbs out beyond the drip line cross lighting the tree.

I would highly reccoment some pathlights on the walkway and in the bed at the landing by the white porch.

On that smaller tree you may get away with 1 possibly 2 fixtures depending on the viewable angles of the tree.

Hope this helps some

I gotta ask too... why no lights on the trees roadside... if you do happen to do em try to keep em a little more subtle than the home and such. That tree by the stairs your to light looks like maybe 2 bullets from diff angles and use hex cell louvers inside your fixtures to cut down on glare.

Since your using kichler i would reccoment 15384 for the bullets and clients choice in paths.

Also consider moon lighting out of the mature trees. and possibly a soft light mounted in the gutter grazing the home and chimney

NightScenes
07-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Paul Jr., that's my sons name. Anyway, this project has alot of potential. Do you have a budget to work with? I see at least 20 fixtures in the front? Can you post some more pics? Yeh hawwww!!

Pro-Scapes
07-04-2007, 06:26 PM
yeah i guess thier budget would be a concern with the 6k in lighting i just proposed huh.... WHOOHOOO Ashleys home. Yall have a great night... If you see a huge mushroom cloud down south one of my fireworks experiments failed miserably.

Mike M
07-04-2007, 07:10 PM
If they want the statue lit, you could pull it back towards the house and down light from the tree on the right. It's on the same side of the walk.

Mike M
07-04-2007, 07:11 PM
If they want the statue lit, you could pull it back towards the house and down light from the tree on the right. It's on the same side of the walk. Unless the mature tree in front can cover it.

paul jr
07-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for some info guys. Hey billy, I see you said i should do maybe 8 up lights on the house. Were would you place them and did you see the space that i have between the shrubs and the house. I'm just not sure of the right locations to make it look right. Spacing and how far off the house and can you explain the hexcell louver how it works. I can go with common sense but just for my on knowledge. As for budget paul they just want to light up the trees and the house for now no path lights or anything else yet and I'm getting some numbers together for them and good name i also have a boy who's the 3rd. Billy i like the chimney idea and what do you mean about moon lighting out the mature trees. Thanks you guys

David Gretzmier
07-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd do the 8 uplights on the "columns" of the house- the spaces where there are no windows. about 12 inches from the foundation, straight up toward the soffits. be consistant on space from the house, any variation of distance from the house will result in an uneven look at night.

I agree with the 35 watt, a 36 or 24 degrees will give the walls a light luminescence.

I'd use a 270 shroud rather than hexcell, but that's me.

the small trees i'd do as billy says. each tree -multiple 60 degree spots, probably 20 watters. you could up that to 35 watters, it's a brighter look, and will stand out from the house lighting more. catch the trunk and underbody with one, and use two to cross on dripline.

please keep your voltage at the sockets around 10.8-11.5. any lower and the filaments won't burn clean, any higher and your looking at decreased bulb life.

I'd probably price this around 3-3500 in these parts.

good luck.

Pro-Scapes
07-05-2007, 12:07 AM
6 lights across the front...I would louver thoes only near the door or if they create glare in anyways. 35w across the front then 2 more lights at 20w where the home is set back a bit on the right .... go with 20 w here because its a shorter distance to the sofit and you dont want to distract from the nice tree your going to light in front of it.

20w 60 deg pegged out past the fall line of that tree tilted so they cover that tree well... if you wanna get fancy 10w-20w up close to the trunk as well.

2 more lights per large mature tree... they look really dark and pretty big... depending on the ambient light around there possibly 35w same scenario... crossing the tree to obtain maximum coverage.

I would suggest installing the system above ground then viewing and making adjustments at night then returning the next day to bury.

3 path lights on the walkway perhaps a few more in the beds with some color around them

near the stairs a path at the bottom and if you wanna go fancy schmantzy carey technique in a deck light at the top and then a single or double light under that tree.

Moonlighting is mounting a light high up in the tree... 25 ft or more with a 20 to 35w lamp and wither a 4700 kelvin color temp or a blue dichrinic lens... softer is usually better but again depends on the ambient light

I think Davids price is a bit low... without moon lighting I am coming up around 19-21 fixtures. I think 4-4500 is a much better ball park on this one.

If thier budget is lower... dont fret it. Place the 8 lights across the front and install an oversized transformer and let them add as thier budget permits. If you do your job right they will always add and fast.