PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Weed Grass Seeds from lawn to lawn

mdvaden
07-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Quite a few people I do pruning and landscape work for, bring up their lawn conditions and point out weed grasses.

Although weed grass seed can blow into yards in some areas, I find that in dense urban areas, not much moves-in via wind.

I told the people that their weed grass problems can be reduced if they request their mowing companies to wash their equipment between properties.

Its not practical for the mowers, but its truly one of the more professional techniques to protect nice lawns from being infiltrated with weed grass seeds.

Unless every lawn on a route is nearly weed grass free. But that's often not the case.

coonman
07-04-2007, 04:10 PM
In theory you are probably right, but if I had to wash my mower after every lawn I would get out of the business. I have never had a complaint about that.

stick9
07-04-2007, 04:17 PM
You could always add a $15 dollar fee per lawn that wants it for equipment sterilization.

mdvaden
07-04-2007, 04:21 PM
In theory you are probably right, but if I had to wash my mower after every lawn I would get out of the business. I have never had a complaint about that.

No one would complain, because its one of the "hidden neccessary evils" of mowing. Most people are unaware of it.

Agreed, it would put a lot of guys out of business if they had to do it. Could you imagine running to the car wash for every account. :dizzy:

The only option would be a "high class" SWAT trailer :) It would carry a washing pit underneath the trailer deck to capture water, plus a pressure washer system. It could be for the upper crust of clientel.

drmiller100
07-04-2007, 05:09 PM
lets be real. the cost won't be eaten by the mower dude.

the cost will be eaten by the person that mows the lawn.

"Hello maam. our basic lawn mowing is 20 bucks. for 50 bucks we'll mow your lawn weedeat, and wash our mower deck before we mow your lawn to keep other people's clippings off your lawn."

cpel2004
07-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Are you for real...? What about birds, you mentioned wind, rain/sprinkler water and kids playing and transplating different seeds from their clothing. What I would have said was a good healty lawn is the number one biggest preventer of weeds. Now what we do is blow off our mowers after every lawn, thats reasonable. There's no such thing as 100% weed free lawn for most homeowners it would simply cost too much and most arent willing to pay for this type of service.

Uranus
07-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Hey fert guys. WASH YOUR SPREADER TIRES. You never know, there could be a weed seed waiting to jump for freedom from behind your tires valve stem.

hess
07-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Put a bag over it might get brid shi? over it. Back to the car wash!!

mkroher
07-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Or... lets all start wearing hazmat suits, and mow lawns in a giant bubble.

get real, it's like trying to rid your house of germs/bacteria. live with it.

Envy Lawn Service
07-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Yes, no matter where you are, stuff BLOWS in.

Yes, lawn guys can do their part to not carry in stuff and contaminate other lawns.

I make it a point to not go from a crap patch to a manicured lawn. Sometimes it's not avoidable, and when it's not I use one mower for one, and another for the other, or I make it a point to give the mower a heavy air and/or scrape blade cleanup before leaving the crappy site.

Here, the same goes for carrying warm/cool season grass seeds or sprigs from one lawn to another. Especially carrying warm season seeds or sprigs to a cool season lawn.

martinfan06
07-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Account get mowed, mower waits by trailer untill blowed off then gets loaded. Not 100% effective but dose help.

Eric D
07-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Sound like opportunity knocking to me. Why not have a spray that keeps the seeds from germinating? Could it be sold for a premium as part of the contract?

Eric D

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Are you for real...? What about birds, you mentioned wind, rain/sprinkler water and kids playing and transplating different seeds from their clothing. What I would have said was a good healty lawn is the number one biggest preventer of weeds. Now what we do is blow off our mowers after every lawn, thats reasonable. There's no such thing as 100% weed free lawn for most homeowners it would simply cost too much and most arent willing to pay for this type of service.

Totally agree,if all homeowners would get fert treatments there be less weeds for birds,kids and wind to pick-up.

martinfan06
07-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Totally agree,if all homeowners would get fert treatments there be less weeds for birds,kids and wind to pick-up.

Same here all we can do is all we can do.

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah wash the mower off... just give the seeds that you can't get off the mower a little head start in growing... rust out your deck and spindles too. Take away possible weed control work for the future.:nono:

mdvaden
07-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Out here in Oregon, there was one homeowner in Beaverton, that replaced his lawn every 2 to 3 years, due to imported seed making his lawn not good enough for him.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Well i guess when you have got that kind of money , why not :laugh:. I have been noticing different types of seed mixtures.

cgaengineer
07-17-2007, 02:10 PM
I would be more worried about tracking somebody elses dog poop into another customers lawn!!

Meg-Mo
07-17-2007, 03:02 PM
If on a normal weekly or bi weekly mowing there is no seed that will grow to make a plant.

pjslawncare/landscap
07-17-2007, 03:28 PM
A healthy lawn will crowd out weeds naturally. In addition a good lawn treatment program will keep lawns healthy. The average lawn gets bombarded by airborn weed matter constaintly durring the growing season and what little that gets introduced to the lawn by the mower deck is minimally impacted in comparison.

DeereHauler
07-17-2007, 04:04 PM
A healthy lawn will crowd out weeds naturally. In addition a good lawn treatment program will keep lawns healthy. The average lawn gets bombarded by airborn weed matter constaintly durring the growing season and what little that gets introduced to the lawn by the mower deck is minimally impacted in comparison.

theres the answer i agree with. and by healthy lawn, i would say spraying, and cutting "high" i cut around 3 1/4-3 3/4 depending on the lawn. scalping will make your weed problems worse.

i went to a Penn State seminar, and we were told there are billions of weed seeds in your yard, they're always there, and always have been. some seeds will germinate when they are in perfect conditions. and when that happens you treat it. your best bet is to apply pre-em.

someone telling you your mower is bringing weeds in their lawn is a bunch of crap. i have never cleaned my mower between jobs, and never will. this year my spray guy told me he had clover in lawns that have never had clover problems, and its because of weather conditons that the clover favored,he didn't blame my mowers, so i agreed with him!

naturescape
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I agree. I actually thought this thread was just a joke when I first saw it. Tracking in seeds is NOTHING to worry about or even THINK about.

Envy Lawn Service
07-17-2007, 11:04 PM
If on a normal weekly or bi weekly mowing there is no seed that will grow to make a plant.

True in Illinois maybe... NOT true in North Carolina.

bahamamills
07-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Mario,

I have actually thought about this often. I recall back in the day when I had time to fish in tournaments our boats at one point had to go through inspections. This was because some lakes were so infested with Hydrilla and were hurting some of the habitat which support marine life.

Hydrilla was introduced in Florida and now is 19 states.

topsites
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Heck by the time I'm done washing the deck every lawn I could as well treat every lawn, too. As for dense commercial areas, think Jet stream, weeds can literally get carried across the ocean in extremes, but certainly county to county and state to state, weeds were designed by nature to be carried by the wind, that is how they reproduce, these little plants.

Afaik, and I did a study years ago, I believe the results were that 2-3% of weed matter can and will get transferred via lawn-mower, there are a few other percents of methods but something like 90% is via the wind, you don't have to feel it, the wind could be blowing way up in the atmosphere and the weeds drop down a mile or so, you'd never even know it.

Agreed, a higher cut is best, do NOT cut it if you think it will burn, a brown lawn is a patch of weeds waiting to happen, good healthy lawns are a natural weed preventer. It does get to a point, it's so tall I HAVE to cut it, knowing it will burn, so be it. It's tough in a drought, believe it or not the best time to cut is very early morning or afternoon- evening AND right before or shortly after a good rain :laugh:

By the way, the highest I can and do cut is 4.125" and that's with the Z, it is the highest setting I can use and still it looks like it has been cut, once I hit 4.25" it doesn't look like it's been cut anymore, thou the deck goes to 6"... :confused:
On the Wb, I find 3.5" is the highest I can get away with, beyond that it just frustrates the lawn some :laugh:

Hey fert guys. WASH YOUR SPREADER TIRES. You never know, there could be a weed seed waiting to jump for freedom from behind your tires valve stem.

Son of a gun that's probably how all that crabgrass keeps getting out of hand for me! Good thing I include crabgrass treatment in the service, see here again, it takes but a few minutes to pump up the sprayer and spot treat the lawn for certain things.

At a cost of a few dollars (I mean $1-$2) per gallon of weed treatment, it is far cheaper to spot treat a few things, once it gets bad I don't do it, but certainly I do spot treat those lawns were things haven't got way out of hand. Yes, to a point I agree that weed prevention is a necessary evil, but I'm only going so far out of my way, weeds are as much an evil I can not prevent entirely either.

So I compromise and one does take precautions, my mowers usually get blown off with compressed air at the end of a day, but I don't wash them much anymore, it damages the paint and other things over time (compressed air isn't much better but it sure goes easier and it is only air). And much like some Lco's, I try not to go from crap lot to class-A turf with the same mower, but again to a point, to a point...

Richard Martin
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
A couple of years back I researched this very subject. Paper after paper stated that this is not a problem.

Additionally, I cut my own lawn last every week. If there was a problem with weed seed transmittal I would know about it real quick.

Envy Lawn Service
07-19-2007, 01:26 AM
A couple of years back I researched this very subject. Paper after paper stated that this is not a problem.

Additionally, I cut my own lawn last every week. If there was a problem with weed seed transmittal I would know about it real quick.

Well, if you don't have bermuda now, I see more spots of it in your lawn in your future if you cut any of the stuff.