PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Blowing

GreenHor7
07-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Would you guys recommend just doing mulch blowing as a specialized business. Currently i own a lawncare business and many people ask for mulch blowing and in my area there are only a handful of companies that offer this service. I was wondering what everyone thinks.

PlatinumLandCon
07-04-2007, 07:42 PM
If you can buy the truck, it's definitly something to look into as a side business

DBL
07-04-2007, 09:20 PM
some mulch suppliers around here offer it but there are a bunch of larger lco's that have them just to aid in their mulch installs...cuts time almost in half

Idealtim
07-04-2007, 10:56 PM
If you can buy the truck,

Not even. I have seen smaller trailer models by finn on the roads before. All you have to do is buy that and pull it with some type of dump or flatbed with high cu. yd. capacity sides on it. It would be a 2 man operation, one shoveling it in, one blowing it out. Sounds like you could bang out 5yd mulch jobs like they are nothing to me. That has to be the most efficient way to lay it, without an enormous amount of startup, right? Imagine if you were a subcontractor that layed mulch for 10 or 20 different companies!!! Just a few thoughts.....

Adam's Lawn and Garden
07-04-2007, 11:54 PM
i saw a used one before and i believe it was Finn's second to the smallest model, and it was 35K used. Were going to try to make on soon, i have a pretty good idea on how to. Work Smarter, not harder!

adam

tnmulchblower
07-08-2007, 10:03 AM
GreenHor7,
What kind of mulch blower are you interested in? A Finn,Express Blower,or Peterson.

boats47
07-08-2007, 06:33 PM
We use one and let me tell you it is a time saver. Once the guys running the machine get the system down you can blow through 16 yards in no time flat and it allows you to dust areas that may have to much mulch. You will find that your estimates will favor you, because you don't use as much, then if done by hand. We have the FINN 6 yard and worth every dime, except when it breaks, seems to to take time to fix things you would expect to be quick and deadly.

paponte
07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
We have a tow behind we pull with a 20yd roll off truck. Helps with our larger commercial installs and gets to alot of places you would never be able to wheel barrow. We get subbed by a couple of other local companies and also some school districts. If you have steady work for it it is definitely worth the investment. :)

Groundcover Solutions
07-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Well I sold my company about a year back but I would say you can make a good business out of mulch blowing. We ran express blowers EB60 units. We worked mainly as a subcontractor for the larger landscaping companies in our area. They would keep us extremly busy during the start of spring into the beginning of the summer. We would then branch off into other contracts such as work for MDOT installing top soil, playground mulch was also a large player that would push us through the summer and into the fall. If you focus on quality and have a solid business plan you can make good money in this area. However, this is not an industry that you can just jump into it requires alot of resarch and planning to make sure you have the clint base to support the cost of the equipment.