PDA

View Full Version : Ford Trucks. Are they really that bad?

HenryB
07-04-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm looking to buy a couple of new trucks? I ran them in the mid 90's(F250's & 350 dump). With awful results. Always broken from starters to tranny's. My F250's both lit up on fire carb electrical stuff. One burnt to a crisp the other was salvaged. For years I considered them the biggest POS's on earth. I switched to Mitsubishi's, Isuzu's and Toyota's.
The new Ford's look great and I'd really like to buy american. Soooooooo should I give Ford a second chance or stay Japanese?

jbone
07-04-2007, 06:25 PM
There are these other trucks (I use them myself) One is Chevy/GMC, and the other I believe is called Dodge (?). I guess you have never heard of them j/k. I would wait on the new 6.4 powerstrokes. The first gen of most motors are usually the problem child, however generations after usually have most if not all bugs sorted out.

POPO4995
07-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Let me say this: Owned 2 Dodge's with NO problems at all, got this Ford and its my first; and the last. Going to GM or Dodge next time! I wouldnt buy anything besides GM, Chrysler, or Ford anyway but thats just me.:rolleyes: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

HenryB
07-04-2007, 08:04 PM
A lot of LCO's run them. However some of my friends swear by them even though they have all kinds of trouble. I'm really trying to get an objective opinion not one that loves Ford no matter what (I know a lot of people like this).

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 08:22 PM
OK, my personal preference in GMC. However, i used a 2007 ford F-250 powestroke(my uncles) for a long haul trip towing a 30' boat from rhode island to Colorado, it preformed well, however, i noticed that it started overheating when being driven for more than few hours, even without the boat. it was built well, it was properly hooked up for towing that much weight and had a built in brake controller, so it towed very nicely. the transmission was solid and gave smooth shifts even under hard acceleration with the boat. the only real thing that would concern me is the engine, like i said, she overheats, and it happened more than once, all coolant levels were fine, but for some reason, the truck kept telling me it was overheating.

tthomass
07-04-2007, 09:16 PM
For some reason this reminded me of a recent episode of Pinks. There was a 5.0 Mustang with a Chevy engine, maybe that says something haha.

I've driv'n Ford work trucks and they did the job. I grew up both Chevy and Ford vehicles. The Fords gave us the most problems and just all together lean more on Chevy. Yeah they all their problems depending upon year make and model but just make the best educated decision for what fits you vs what looks this or that and you'll be set.

My ranking is Chevy #1 and Ford/Dodge tied for #2.

gammon landscaping
07-05-2007, 02:51 AM
well mine has 140,000 on it and it pulls every day, one clutch at 100,00 miles and other than that no parts that cost over 200 bucks, and just a few minior parts hear and there, by no means dollaring me

Detroitdan
07-05-2007, 07:00 AM
I drove tow trucks full time for ten years, I can honestly say that I towed a whole lot of Ford trucks for various things, but a big one that comes to mind is the front suspensions are notorious for premature failure. Balljoints and tie-rods especially. I towed a lot of 6.0 diesels the first year, that motor had a lot of problems and I expect the new 6.4 will too, still poor head design. There's a heck of a lot of Fords out there, they are real popular because people think they look like a tough truck, mostly due to the front sheetmetal design that I feel they copied from Dodge. Another reason being that they are cheap. Go compare prices, they outsell because they are underpriced, and you get what you pay for. I compared a Chevy, Ford and Dodge 4x4 CC DRW diesel last year, Ford was cheapest and Chevy was most expensive by a good bit. But it can't be because of profit margins or dealer markups, everybody wants to sell trucks. I think it has to go back to R&D invested. Look at the front suspensions-my sister's $45,000 V10 Excursion has leaf springs in the front! Are you kidding me? That is absolutely outdated technology. And for all the guys who still talk like it's 1988 and tell you solid front axles are stronger, get real. I used to do front axle u-joints and balljoints every year or two on my old solid axle GM plow trucks. My 97 now has 156k on the original front CV axles and balljoints, only thing I've replaced is the wheelbearings, and I think adding a 950 lb plow on top of the weight of the diesel had something to do with them only lasting 9 years and 145,000 miles.
Any truck you buy will do the job, and any truck can have breakdowns, but I like to get the most truck I can and use it hard for a long time. If you have to have a Ford, find a 7.3 diesel if you can, that's the best motor they've ever had.
Yes, I am an opinionated Ford hater that bleeds Chevy Orange. But I do have a lot of experience towing for a lot of road service clubs on newer vehicles. You don't even want to know what I think about BMWs.

HenryB
07-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Very informative post. Thanks

TXNSLighting
07-05-2007, 04:32 PM
well that guy hates fords, and says their cheap? ha! we all no my opinions, so i wont get into them again. but fords are not cheaply built, dodges are cheaply. thats a fact. henry dont listen to detroit dan. hes very wrong. fords are great trucks. the 6.0's had teir problems, but the later years were alot better. and the 6.4's are looking to be a great diesel. the gas engines ford has are also great. you wouldnt be making a mistake by going back to fords. their built much better than they were in the past. Im buying a new ford in dcember. and im very excited about it.

jt5019
07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
my ford gasser had almost 200,000 miles on it without any major problems. A starter. new shocks. new exhaust. I canned it for a newer dodge 2500 which has been in the shop 3 times already. Twice for transmission and once because it was just dead in my driveway. My father had a brand new chevy 2500 hd that was notorious for not starting. Bottom line....all of the major brands have issues. I prefer fords and dodges.

Would i buy a Ford with the new diesel engine .. NO i never get anything in the first year of production there is always bugs.

lawnboy dan
07-05-2007, 07:09 PM
buy a tundra- no issues.

Clint Gantt
07-05-2007, 09:39 PM
My boss has the new 6.4 powerstroke and loves it. He originally bought a kodiak 4500 with the duramax and it went to the shop over 8 times. After getting rid of it with only 5500 miles on it he went and ordered a new ford. Honestly in my opinion that motor would suck a cummins or a duramax in and blow it out the other end. It is and absolute powerhouse. My boss is hard on trucks and has been known to break stuff. He likes how the new ford runs and boy will it run. I had 10 head of cows on a 24 ft gooseneck, a small load but weighing 1000+ lbs a piece that truck was pulling the sh** out of that trailer. You could start up a hill doing 55 and if you mash it most of the time it will be running 65-70mph by the time you get to the top of the hill. To be honest with you chevy and dodge owners i think yall are just jealous that ford might be making a come back with this new motor. I see um all shake from fear when we pull a load past um runnin 85 down the freeway and not loosin any speed going up a hill. We'll guys this is just my 2 cents on the new ford. And guys get your stories straight before you go out dogging something you havnt owned or even driven.

KTO Enterprises
07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I have 2 fords and No problems. gas truck has 240,000 on it now and diesel has 138,000. one is a 96 and one is a 97. Best years ford made trucks hands down.

ZOO YORK
07-05-2007, 10:05 PM
as a person who wont even ride in something that isnt a ford i feel like i have to add a little something to this thread. my 1993 f-250 has 155,200 miles as of today. this truck has NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. its pulls daily and gets used as a dump truck daily. it works hard and has been known to plow over 40hrs non-stop. this is the greatest truck in the world and i plan on restoring it to show room condition some day

we had a 1988 ford f-250 that went over 300,000 with almost no problems and in all those miles it never broke down. that truck also plowed and towed all its life and every single mile put on that truck was from my father who owned it since new.

our f-550 has 50,000 plus trouble free miles and it has that 6.0l psd that everyone says is so awful. its has so much power and gets such great milage i still cant figure out why everyone bad mouths them guess i got lucky lol.

my 2000 f-250 which i bought about 8 months ago has the old 7.3lpsd which i love another trouble free truck that is worked hard everyday.

this is my experience with ford they have been so good to me i wouldnt consider owning anything else. i usually stay away from threads like this and i would rather no1 bashes me for this i just felt like i should share my luck and i hope you decided to give ford another chance.

twj721
07-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Think that yoyu can get a LEMON in any brand I had good luck out of my 2 Fords even though I am now owning a Dodge Only thing I hated about the Ford was the Fuel mileage out of the 6.0 with the automatic other wise in 2 years only had it in shop two times 1 was they cracked the fuel filter housing when they were change the fuel filter and the other was the headgaskets and EGR cooler

Ramairfreak98ss
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
my older truck is a 91 F150 5.0L v8, 193k miles, ex cab, long bed... besides little crap like spark plugs breaking over the winter, needing new wires, dist cap, trans rebuild at 155k miles... its still running darn good. Last year i was pulling around my 24' enclosed 4150lb enclosed trailer .... with a 3600lb car in it :p ... i thought i was gonna kill it so i bought the 06 f350 i have now too. I still use it a lot for the business. Im confident it will go at least 225-250k miles before any trans failure or major engine failure. Im not saying i would buy another, because ill only buy diesel engines in this business for hauling but if i only had 5k for another truck, id buy another...pending its in as good of condition as mine... which is excellent for a 91 or even a 96.

Ferdelance
07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I've owned a Chevy, Dodge and now Ford pick-up. The Chevy lasted until 111,000 mile before it became more trouble than it was worth. The Dodge 3500 series I owned, transmission failed at 3000 miles. The day I got the truck back from the dealers service dept, and was driving home, the transmission failed again. The third transmission seemed to work ok, so I sold the Dodge truck and Bought a Ford Superduty with the 6.0 Powerstroke. So far the Ford Superduty has been the best truck I have ever owned

Mike33
07-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Ford makes the best truck but the 6.0 sucks had lots of problems with them. Hope the 6.4 is better.
Mike

RedMax Man
07-05-2007, 11:53 PM
My 1999 Ford F-350 pickup has a Triton V8 gas engine with over 144,000 original miles on it. I havent owned it from brand new but it has always run vey well with only minor average maintenance needed. I would buy another one, but i do agree the front suspension is kind of lousy plus i think i could use a new pair of front shocks which would help. remember all trucks will last longer with routine maintenance depending on the amount of use, you can't buy a truck and expect it to run like a champ forever without caring for it.

J&T Kiev
07-06-2007, 12:44 AM
I own two Ford F-450's, I love the trucks..they're both been hard working work horses.No complaints about Ford quality from me. I also have two Chevy's- 1997 3500 dump- 1990 3/4 ton pick-up, no quality complaints over them either.

NewWave
07-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Chevy. I have always had problems with fords. I was a blue oval die hard but was stomped in the ground by them too much and had to make the change. I sold my 05 F-250 PSD in February. Good truck. I never had any problems other than the fact that it was stolen two times within 2 months. The last time totalling a bill of 24k after it was all fixed. Every other ford has been a money pit. We have our 94 Chevy with 315k miles on it and the same original tranny and motor. Kind of impressive if you ask me.

Gravel Rat
07-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Ford being the cheapest truck is a laugh they are one of the most expensive. A fully loaded dually 4x4 King ranch truck with the 6.4 is pushing the 75,000 dollar mark with tax its up to 80 plus thousand. Dodge is the cheapest trucks you can buy a Dodge considerably cheaper.

Ford has been used in the resource industry for 30 years some trucks have spent 30 years in the bush in offroad service never seen pavement. The Forestry and Mining industry has tried other brands aka Dodge and Chev neither stood up. Soon as Chevy went to IFS suspension that cut their throat the trucks were no good for offroad use.

I have been using Ford trucks for 15 years my familly has been buying Fords for 40. Many other people in my area that have bought nothing but Fords a few of them with problematic 6.0s sold those trucks and bought another new 6.0. Guys buy Ford trucks because they are proven if they have a problematic Ford they buy another Ford that isn't.

You buy a Chevy from the dealer they won't work on anything bigger than a 1 ton if you have a 4500 they won't work on it. They will order you one but they won't work on it. Dodge you can buy a Cummins but the dealer doesn't work on diesel trucks.

SiteSolutions
07-06-2007, 01:09 AM
I have two Fords but haven't had them long enough to be able to comment on the reliability - don't want to jinx myself.

I had a 95 Chevy that cost me more in repair bills than it did to buy it. But, it was a "deal" on a used car lot, so I had it coming with that one. Kept putting oil and water in it, and was able to trade it in for a decent chunk of change when I got my 2nd Ford.

All in all, it seems like you can get a good truck from any of the big 3, just as sure as you could have bad luck and get a lemon from any of them.

The Toyota idea is probably good if you don't have a lot of weight to haul; Toyotas seem to run forever. I don't think they have a diesel in the US market, though, and I don't ever want to go back to a gas motor. Do they even make a 3/4 ton tundra? If you are hauling anything heavy, I would stick with an American nameplate, of which Ford is one.

montana jack
07-06-2007, 02:36 AM
I have two Fords. A 1993, 351W gas F250 that just turned 100K miles with nothing but routine maintenance. The other an '06 F350, V10. I think Ford makes the best trucks but I'm suspect of their diesel engines since they dropped the 7.3. I had a Dodge D300 in '79 that was the worst vehicle I ever owned, It rode like a buckboard, gave lousy gas milage & was in the shop constantly for everything under the sun. It fell apart after 70,000 miles. I'm sure Dodge has gotten better over the years (they couldn't get worse) but after being burnt so bad, I'd never own another.

Potchkins
07-06-2007, 02:41 AM
i drove ford all my life until 2003. i bought a 99 2500 dodge/cummins
i'm hooked in 04' got 99 3500 dodge/cummins... way less repairs than before

then i find out ford is sponsoring less than acceptable causes... see for your self : http://www.boycottford.com/

I am through with ford !

Birdhunter1
07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Every big corporation sponsors some sort of group of something that others consider bad.

avjohnson
07-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I've always driven Fords and always gotten many many years of happiness with them. Currently have an F350 with Triton V8 and it's a joy. It Could use more power for hauling but gas mileage isn't too bad so it's worth it.

RedWingsDet
07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Ive had 4 Fords, 1 Dodge, and 2 Chevys. EVERYSINGLE Ford has had a tranny go atleast once, one ford had a tranny go 3 times in less than a year. Ive had sooo many problems with fords, weather it was hubs being replaced in less than a year, trannys, fuel components, etc. and these are newer (2000's), the Dodge I never had anything go wrong or break, execpt for normal parts like brakes or belts, the chevys I have NEVER ONCE had something brake both are 2001 and 2006.

So from now on when buying new trucks they will be Chevys. I love the way fords looks but I HATE the way fords looks on the pocket book.

F&SLawnCo
07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I can tell you this about Ford vehicles. My brother in law is a manager at a facility that makes the torque converters for ford, nissan, toyota, and now some for kia. He told me that the quality specs are the lowest on the Ford shipments. His exact words were "Ford will accept anything we ship them" He also told me that the toyota and nissan parts had to meet much more stringent test requirements. Now before everyone brands me a communist foreign car buyer, I would like to say that I drive a Dodge.

Lynch Landscaping
07-06-2007, 05:43 PM
I think they are great trucks.

Ric3077
07-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I like foreign trucks...they last longer and have less problems, I have owned almost every truck out there and the US ones are the worst....Most foreign trucks are built in the US with foreign parts.

tnmtn
07-06-2007, 10:22 PM
has anyone heard if international is having the same problems with their version of the 6.0? i haven't heard much if they have, i believe it is the engine that is in the 4100-4200's. i see plenty of them on the roads mostly used as wreckers and flatbeds.
good luck,

Albemarle Lawn
07-06-2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.boycottford.com/

Westboro can send a contingent out to pickett Ford plants.

Check out this "church"

www.godhatesfags.com

crab
07-07-2007, 12:17 AM
you are kidding with the god hates fags thing?

Rob.C
07-07-2007, 12:39 AM
I drove tow trucks full time for ten years, I can honestly say that I towed a whole lot of Ford trucks for various things, but a big one that comes to mind is the front suspensions are notorious for premature failure. Balljoints and tie-rods especially. I towed a lot of 6.0 diesels the first year, that motor had a lot of problems and I expect the new 6.4 will too, still poor head design. There's a heck of a lot of Fords out there, they are real popular because people think they look like a tough truck, mostly due to the front sheetmetal design that I feel they copied from Dodge. Another reason being that they are cheap. Go compare prices, they outsell because they are underpriced, and you get what you pay for. I compared a Chevy, Ford and Dodge 4x4 CC DRW diesel last year, Ford was cheapest and Chevy was most expensive by a good bit. But it can't be because of profit margins or dealer markups, everybody wants to sell trucks. I think it has to go back to R&D invested. Look at the front suspensions-my sister's $45,000 V10 Excursion has leaf springs in the front! Are you kidding me? That is absolutely outdated technology. And for all the guys who still talk like it's 1988 and tell you solid front axles are stronger, get real. I used to do front axle u-joints and balljoints every year or two on my old solid axle GM plow trucks. My 97 now has 156k on the original front CV axles and balljoints, only thing I've replaced is the wheelbearings, and I think adding a 950 lb plow on top of the weight of the diesel had something to do with them only lasting 9 years and 145,000 miles.
Any truck you buy will do the job, and any truck can have breakdowns, but I like to get the most truck I can and use it hard for a long time. If you have to have a Ford, find a 7.3 diesel if you can, that's the best motor they've ever had.
Yes, I am an opinionated Ford hater that bleeds Chevy Orange. But I do have a lot of experience towing for a lot of road service clubs on newer vehicles. You don't even want to know what I think about BMWs.
cheap, are u out of your mind, $56,800 dollars is cheap...not!!! It depends on what model u get a work truck yeah kinda cheap, but a f-350 lariat not cheap, if u deck a ford out with proper equipment it will out perform any chevy or dodge no competion, I have a f-350 superduty lariat and had to tow my buddies 23,500 lb trailer because his brand new chevy 3500 couldnt, it sagged and struggled, I have pulled well over 33,000lbs with my truck and it was like it wasnt even there.

Ferdelance
07-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Ford Superduty's are by far the most popular choice of work truck. I live in the Washington DC area and virtually all of the large landscaping companies, Trugreen, Brickman, Denison, Mcfall Berry, etc,etc, all use Ford Superdutys. Only one large company Chapel Valley use just GM gasser trucks.
Tow truck companies use virtually all Ford Superduties. I see an occasional Chevy tow truck. I haven't seen a Dodge tow truck in several years.
Ambulances are Ford Superduty or International.
Most small landscaping companies use Ford trucks the most followed by Chevy, and then Dodge.
Ford can't be that bad.

Rob.C
07-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Ford Superduty's are by far the most popular choice of work truck. I live in the Washington DC area and virtually all of the large landscaping companies, Trugreen, Brickman, Denison, Mcfall Berry, etc,etc, all use Ford Superdutys. Only one large company Chapel Valley use just GM gasser trucks.
Tow truck companies use virtually all Ford Superduties. I see an occasional Chevy tow truck. I haven't seen a Dodge tow truck in several years.
Ambulances are Ford Superduty or International.
Most small landscaping companies use Ford trucks the most followed by Chevy, and then Dodge.
Ford can't be that bad.
My point exactly, They also have the best diesel, no comparision..:weightlifter:

baddarryl
07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I have had 4 Ford trucks. 3 f150's, 1 Ranger, and currently have a 91 F250 7.3 IDI diesel with 260,000 miles that I could drive to Alaska if needed. All trucks have gone over 200,000 with very few problems, but I would have to say the auto tranny's are problematic. My tranny guy explained it to me that they have been junk since 63 or something when they when cheap on the clutch plates in them. My next one will be a diesel with manual tranny, but not sure which as I can never afford newer than a 10 year old truck and my 91 is showing no signs of quitting yet!

Detroitdan
07-09-2007, 05:14 AM
cheap, are u out of your mind, $56,800 dollars is cheap...not!!! It depends on what model u get a work truck yeah kinda cheap, but a f-350 lariat not cheap, if u deck a ford out with proper equipment it will out perform any chevy or dodge no competion, I have a f-350 superduty lariat and had to tow my buddies 23,500 lb trailer because his brand new chevy 3500 couldnt, it sagged and struggled, I have pulled well over 33,000lbs with my truck and it was like it wasnt even there.

I call BS. There's nothing an F350 can do that a 3500 can't do. They are making the same power and have roughly the same spring ratings and tow capacities. That's just ridiculous. I've seen F350s squatting with just an ATV in the bed. Just another redneck showoff bragging about towing far behind their trucks' rated capacity. If you're going down the road pulling 33,000 behind a one ton pickup then you are ignorant and dangerous and I hope DOT catches you and fines you big time. However, I doubt that you are telling the truth because while you could pull 33k (it's on wheels after all), there is no way "it was like it wasnt even there". And if you really did pull that much and didn't know it was there, you are one scary individual. I hope you get caught or smarten up before you kill somebody.
You're right about one thing, $56,800 isn't cheap. I don't know what you're talking about at that price, maybe a new F450 pickup? If so, compare it to a CXT or a Kodiak, not a 3500. They are cheaper comparing apples to apples,(you can check) which is the number one reason that most of the fleet trucks you see are Fords.

treadlite
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Just a few facts here..... ford outsells GM and Dodge combined in diesel truck sales.
Look at people that use a truck and have to depend on it, for example, tow trucks, ambulances, oilfield trucks, seismic trucks etc. and the list goes on. Virtually all trucks on the north slope of alaska in the oil industry, in northern canada in the oil industry and the high arctic diamond mines are fords. These a companies that don't care what a truck costs, they care about durability and reliability and need a truck that won't leave the workers stranded in -45 degree weather.
For companies that can write off vehicles and equipment tax-wise, cost usually isn't a factor, but reliability and productivity is. If the ford products were as crappy as some of you say, why are the predominant work trucks fords?? By work trucks I mean the ones that are on the road all day every day, not the ones owned by the part-time or small operator like most of us are.
I've driven all of the big three's trucks in the oilfields in northern canada and I can tell you from experience that the fords stand up the best. Are they perfect?? Not by a long shot. Do the dodges and chev's have some good points?? Absolutely. But in the same service in the same conditions over the same roads the ford products last longer, have fewer mechanical problems and the body and frames prove to be far more durable.
Driving a truck down a paved road hauling a load or pulling a moderate load is something even a toyota can do. It's not a true test of a truck in my opinion. Based on what I've seen in my career, a truck that lasts longer in terrible conditions logically should last longer in the good conditions most of us use a truck in.
If car-like ride and comforts are what is important to you in a truck, then don't buy a ford, buy a chev. If you want the most reliable diesel engine out there, buy the dodge and put up with the tinny, plasticy poorly built body that goes with it. If you want to look trendy at the home depot and starbucks, buy the toyota, just be careful not to overload it.
Just the opinion of someone that's been there.... not just talked about it!!!

Rob.C
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I call BS. There's nothing an F350 can do that a 3500 can't do. They are making the same power and have roughly the same spring ratings and tow capacities. That's just ridiculous. I've seen F350s squatting with just an ATV in the bed. Just another redneck showoff bragging about towing far behind their trucks' rated capacity. If you're going down the road pulling 33,000 behind a one ton pickup then you are ignorant and dangerous and I hope DOT catches you and fines you big time. However, I doubt that you are telling the truth because while you could pull 33k (it's on wheels after all), there is no way "it was like it wasnt even there". And if you really did pull that much and didn't know it was there, you are one scary individual. I hope you get caught or smarten up before you kill somebody.
You're right about one thing, $56,800 isn't cheap. I don't know what you're talking about at that price, maybe a new F450 pickup? If so, compare it to a CXT or a Kodiak, not a 3500. They are cheaper comparing apples to apples,(you can check) which is the number one reason that most of the fleet trucks you see are Fords.
My truck is rated to pull 33,000 lbs
, it has the tow boss on it , 2end of all my uncle works for the dot, 3rd of all I am not a redreck, I live in a 375,000 dollar home bought and paid for I own a 285,000 dollar building that I owe 12,000 on it, i gross over 285,000 dollars a year, so dont judge me my friend, who are u anyway? I never said chevy was a piece of $$$$ I said it would not out perform a ford with proper equipment, And a lariat without any extras is around 50,000, I dont buy fleet trucks, and what I said about the 33,000 lbs being like it wasnt there I mean my truck doesnt sag or struggle to pull the weight, any time u need your home moved, Wich I am sure its on wheels ask a friend with a ford tro pull it. have a good day.:cool2:

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Rob I hate to tell you but a properly equipped F450 can only tow 24,500. A 350 would never hold up to 33,000. Driveshafts and u joints would break, frames would crack and your transmission wouldnt make it up the street.
I am even going to edit this and post a site from gator ford that at the bottom states that an F350 with this tow boss system can only tow 19,200

http://www.gatorford.com/index.cfm?action=dealerlink&Link=72185

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Oh and I am even going to go one further, even with aftermarket equipment that allows more towing capacity, the law still goes by the sticker on the door. DOT would have a nice ticket for you.

SiteSolutions
07-09-2007, 10:36 PM
I have pulled well over 33,000lbs with my truck and it was like it wasnt even there.

Hey, I love my F-350, but I must admit I am very curious what you were towing that was "well over 33,000lbs"

For the record, mine handles approx 10,000 lbs very well, without drama, but I am able to sense a *slight* difference when I unhook from the trailer.

Travel'n Trees
07-10-2007, 03:39 AM
Have done both a f-350 and f-550 are totally overated by FORD look at the problems too many short cuts. My F-550 hauled and stopped worse than my 2500 HD. And if you haul dirt, rock, mulch, salt, coal or sand. It can void your warranty. If you plug a cell phone in ciggarrete lighter verses power port, it can void your warranty.

treadlite
07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Oh ya!!!! well my little red wagon hauled more than my chev 2500!! and if you start your chev during the daylight it voids your warranty..... and if you drive your chev forwards it voids your warranty ..... and if you drive your chev backwards it voids your warranty!!! Ok travel trees dude..... your turn for a childish rebuttal..... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

SiteSolutions
07-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Who else wants to know what 33,000 lb object was towed by the F-350?

KTO Enterprises
07-10-2007, 10:56 PM
ooh ooh ooh, me me me. I say there is no stinking way.

crab
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
:cry: Yes they are.

SiteSolutions
07-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I think I have killed another thread.

stroker51
07-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Lol. The only thing I can figure is that maybe he's grossed at 33K, which I suppose is possible, a stretch, but possible. My 96 F250 PSD 4x4 supercab long bed with a 25' Goosneck tandem dually loaded with roughly 9000 lbs of stone grossed 22K, and it pullled it awesome, stock at the time with only a straight pipe. I can see how you could hit 33K for a gross without really trying too hard.

KTO Enterprises
07-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Even grossing 33k, he is still wayyyyyy over weight for that truck and would have his rig parked by the DOT if they caught him. You would also need a CDL at that weight, which I highly doubt he has. Some people use absolutely no common sense when towing.

SiteSolutions
07-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Comparing an F-350 at about 8000 lbs to a 33,000 lb load shows that the load is over 4 times as heavy as the towing truck.

Pound for pound, the same ratio pulling 10,000 lbs of Bobcat and trailer would make the pull vehicle a Mazda Miata.

A similar ratio exists between a Cat 963 track loader and a single axle dump truck.

My 8 year old trying to pull me.

Detroitdan
07-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Some people use absolutely no common sense when towing.
This is my point exactly. I hang on some diesel forums and I'm constantly getting peeved by cowboys bragging about how much their pickup pulled. Drives me nuts to think about how many people are put at risk by these clowns. Like I said, if it's on wheels you can pull it, that doesn't mean it's safe or intelligent. Heck, I pulled out a stuck tractor trailer last winter, truck and empty 48' box was probably 40,000. On snow and ice, uphill and around a corner into a parking lot. But that doesn't mean I would go down the road pulling that much.
When I was towing I had many opportunities to recover truck and trailer combinations that had crashed (primarily campers). Number one cause would be operator error, followed at a close second by lack of trailer brakes. I've worked with some DOT cops, and they say they are starting to see a lot more guys trying to do stuff with one-tons that they should be using a medum duty for. I've seen a few towing excavators and a couple of log trailers. A tri-axle gooseneck with a cherry-picker and a full load of logs has got to be a fun time trying to stop with a juice brake pickup.

What I really want to know is how I can gross 285k a year with a 60 " and a 36" mower. There must be a formula to figure that out, but I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm just not charging enough.

Rob.C
07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Even grossing 33k, he is still wayyyyyy over weight for that truck and would have his rig parked by the DOT if they caught him. You would also need a CDL at that weight, which I highly doubt he has. Some people use absolutely no common sense when towing.

1st of all u are assumming to many things here, I towed that much weight on a private consruction site with no-body around, I would never tow that much weight on a rural road where someone could get hurt or killed. I do have a cdl liscense. My uncle is a DOT, so I wouldnt get a ticket, but even if he wasnt I wouldnt get a ticket, I wasnt on a road I was in a construction site, I was towing equipment from one end to another end, you are acting like I put peoples life at risk, I am not & never would, If I was towing this on a road I would deserve to be put down but I am not.:nono:

Rob.C
07-11-2007, 11:17 AM
This is my point exactly. I hang on some diesel forums and I'm constantly getting peeved by cowboys bragging about how much their pickup pulled. Drives me nuts to think about how many people are put at risk by these clowns. Like I said, if it's on wheels you can pull it, that doesn't mean it's safe or intelligent. Heck, I pulled out a stuck tractor trailer last winter, truck and empty 48' box was probably 40,000. On snow and ice, uphill and around a corner into a parking lot. But that doesn't mean I would go down the road pulling that much.
When I was towing I had many opportunities to recover truck and trailer combinations that had crashed (primarily campers). Number one cause would be operator error, followed at a close second by lack of trailer brakes. I've worked with some DOT cops, and they say they are starting to see a lot more guys trying to do stuff with one-tons that they should be using a medum duty for. I've seen a few towing excavators and a couple of log trailers. A tri-axle gooseneck with a cherry-picker and a full load of logs has got to be a fun time trying to stop with a juice brake pickup.

What I really want to know is how I can gross 285k a year with a 60 " and a 36" mower. There must be a formula to figure that out, but I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm just not charging enough.
Another thing I own (6) trucks My own building, (6) 72" (5) 48 " (4)36 " mowers, 3 trucks have 300 gallon split, 3 trucks have 200gal fiber glass, none of the trucks are xl work trucks they are all xlt, I have over 890 fertilizing, 680 residential mowing accounts, 120 commercial accounts, and when I say gross I mean after exspenses are paid, Thats how, any questions?? Didnt think so, Have a good day green pee.

Texas Aggie
07-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I say gross I mean after exspenses are paid

Check the definition of gross.

Rob.C
07-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Check the definition of gross.
I know the definition of gross, didnt feel like re-typing gross= profit less exspenses paid, net= profit after exspenses paid, what grade are u in ???

SiteSolutions
07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I know the definition of gross, didnt feel like re-typing gross= profit less exspenses paid, net= profit after exspenses paid, what grade are u in ???

Huh?

:confused:

KTO Enterprises
07-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Hey tonto, gross equals total monies taken in. that would be profit PLUS expenses paid.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
WOW!!! Yet again, someone asks a simple question about american trucks, and the badge war begins. I love Chevy, prolly wont drive anything but chevy/gmc, but they are all prone to problems/failure at some point, some sooner than others. Not every truck that rolls out of the factory is gonna be 100% perfect and trouble free. It really all boils down to price, and the dealer and their service dept. Fords are very nice, dont get me wrong, but I just dont like em.....my personal opinion. And anyways, dont the manufacturers get the tow ratings from 5th wheel towing, not bumper pull, which most of us landscapers do?

lawnkid
07-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a 99 Ford F-350 7.3L powerstroke with 217,000 miles on it and I will honestly share my expereiences. I bought it used on Jan 1. 2004. with 170,000 miles on it from a tree service company who's owner used it as a daily truck driving a stump grinder around over 5 different counties. Every day my truck pulls the enclosed 16ft equipment trailer, or a 14k pound trailer with either a bobcat or the Kubota tractor on it and it runs great. We do work our trucks hard and I expect them to hold up. Since I've owned the truck, I have replaced the water pump at 195K, serpentine belt twice, several brake line since most trailers these days don;t have electric brakes, and just had the front end suspension rebuilt at 215k with new upper and lower ball joints, all new wheel u-joints and driveshaft u-joints, new drag links, shocks, lockouts and swaybar bushings. Recently I have been experiencing electrical issues with the truck shutting off while in motion. Replaced a cam sensor that showed up on the compurer and although it ran fine for a couple weeks, a month later now it's acting up again. Back to the shop next week. Although it's frustrating, I am starting to unerstand why elctrical related issues are either hit or miss. The other day my idler pulley ceased up. Easy fix I did myself. Other than that it's just been, oil, air/oil/fuel filters, wipers, brakes, and tires. So far I have been satisfied with my Ford truck due to the amount of miles it has on it but it will be replaced soon with either another 7.3L Ford or a new 6.4L next year if they prove themselves. I'm keeping my eyes closely on the diesel guru websites to see how the 6.4L are. We have a 2004 GMC 3500 6.0L gas stakebody too and so far it has held up pretty well with 27K miles on it. It does plow a lot in the winter with a Boss 9.2 V-blade and it is our main landscape/mulch truck so it does get used. It does however lack the power that my powerstroke has and it shows. I can easily pull the trailer with 5 pallets of pavers on it with the Ford but the GMC struggles. The GMC is a little squirley on the road too while pulling a bobcat but it runs ok. Will probably replace it with either a duramax or powerstroke sometime when the finances are there. Although a lot of companies around here are switching to gas trucks from diesels, I still think diesel is the way to go if you're pullin heavy loads. I know of at least 4 companies around here that run powerstrokes with over 200k miles on them and unfortunately they are like mine. Starting to experience electrical issues. All in all, for someone who really works his trucks hard, I am pretty happy with my Ford and will definielty buy another one. Hope this helps.

Rob.C
07-11-2007, 07:21 PM
WOW!!! Yet again, someone asks a simple question about american trucks, and the badge war begins. I love Chevy, prolly wont drive anything but chevy/gmc, but they are all prone to problems/failure at some point, some sooner than others. Not every truck that rolls out of the factory is gonna be 100% perfect and trouble free. It really all boils down to price, and the dealer and their service dept. Fords are very nice, dont get me wrong, but I just dont like em.....my personal opinion. And anyways, dont the manufacturers get the tow ratings from 5th wheel towing, not bumper pull, which most of us landscapers do?
Finaly someone who has a brain, thats what I am saying, you are correct..

Rob.C
07-11-2007, 07:24 PM
I have a 99 Ford F-350 7.3L powerstroke with 217,000 miles on it and I will honestly share my expereiences. I bought it used on Jan 1. 2004. with 170,000 miles on it from a tree service company who's owner used it as a daily truck driving a stump grinder around over 5 different counties. Every day my truck pulls the enclosed 16ft equipment trailer, or a 14k pound trailer with either a bobcat or the Kubota tractor on it and it runs great. We do work our trucks hard and I expect them to hold up. Since I've owned the truck, I have replaced the water pump at 195K, serpentine belt twice, several brake line since most trailers these days don;t have electric brakes, and just had the front end suspension rebuilt at 215k with new upper and lower ball joints, all new wheel u-joints and driveshaft u-joints, new drag links, shocks, lockouts and swaybar bushings. Recently I have been experiencing electrical issues with the truck shutting off while in motion. Replaced a cam sensor that showed up on the compurer and although it ran fine for a couple weeks, a month later now it's acting up again. Back to the shop next week. Although it's frustrating, I am starting to unerstand why elctrical related issues are either hit or miss. The other day my idler pulley ceased up. Easy fix I did myself. Other than that it's just been, oil, air/oil/fuel filters, wipers, brakes, and tires. So far I have been satisfied with my Ford truck due to the amount of miles it has on it but it will be replaced soon with either another 7.3L Ford or a new 6.4L next year if they prove themselves. I'm keeping my eyes closely on the diesel guru websites to see how the 6.4L are. We have a 2004 GMC 3500 6.0L gas stakebody too and so far it has held up pretty well with 27K miles on it. It does plow a lot in the winter with a Boss 9.2 V-blade and it is our main landscape/mulch truck so it does get used. It does however lack the power that my powerstroke has and it shows. I can easily pull the trailer with 5 pallets of pavers on it with the Ford but the GMC struggles. The GMC is a little squirley on the road too while pulling a bobcat but it runs ok. Will probably replace it with either a duramax or powerstroke sometime when the finances are there. Although a lot of companies around here are switching to gas trucks from diesels, I still think diesel is the way to go if you're pullin heavy loads. I know of at least 4 companies around here that run powerstrokes with over 200k miles on them and unfortunately they are like mine. Starting to experience electrical issues. All in all, for someone who really works his trucks hard, I am pretty happy with my Ford and will definielty buy another one. Hope this helps.
my point exactly!!

markam70
07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
... I have pulled well over 33,000lbs with my truck and it was like it wasnt even there.

it must have been 33,000 lbs of **** because i think you're full of it.

hess
07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
I have a 1995 Ford pickup with 120,000 miles on it V6 motor runs like a champ
never let me sit. Never owned a Chevy or Dodge in my life or any other off the wall trucks!

Travel'n Trees
07-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Treadlite, sorry if my real life experience bothers you, they bother me too. But that is what you expect to happen sometimes saving a a few bucks can cost thousands in the long run.

hess
07-12-2007, 08:43 AM
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: ENOUGH SAID!!!!

SILVERSTREAK INC
07-18-2007, 03:44 AM
my 94 f250 idi turbo diesel just hit 380000 miles last week, still pull with it every day, 6000 pounds worth of equipment including the dual axle trailer, origional trans injection pump (yeah i know) and no rebuilds on the engine, havent done more than a few starters and u joints along the way, sure she puffs a little smoke with the pedal on the floor towing the trailer but man hardest working truck ive ever had

TXNSLighting
07-18-2007, 06:55 PM
well the dodge left me stranded yesterday and is now going to cost me 1600 to get it fixed....i hate it with a passion. as long as you got with a gm or ford you'll be ok.

themowerman
07-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I have owned and worked all of the big three and have settled on Dodge. That is just what works for me. My suggestion for anyone asking advise on what brand to buy is to go to the different forums and aske them. You can also go to the brand sites and pull up the known TSBs on the different brands to see what type of recalls and service issues they have been suffering. I wanted a diesel and did the same thing. Ford had pages upon pages of TSBs and recalls...Chevy/GMC also had quite a few issues...I settled on Dodge with the Cummins due to there being very few issues with them. Also someone stated that there are far more Ford work trucks sold than any other brand and that is correct and that is mainly due to them being on State and Federal contract.....Until this year there were only a few 3/4 & 1 ton chassis that you could build ambulances on, so ambulances prudomently were Ford. Years back Dodge and Chevy had a big market share of the emergency services vehicles. This year due to the grenading of the 6.0 and the flame throwers of the 6.4 Fords, Chevy and Dodge are getting their chassis KKK certified for emergency services certification. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and they need to get what makes them happy. I would like to have Fords interior, Chevys Duramax tranny, and Dodges Cummins and suspension all wrapped up in one.......

themowerman
07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
I mean't Chevy's Allison Tranny.............

Ferdelance
07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
I posted a while ago that most Landscaping companies large and small use Ford Superdutys. Only one large Landscaping company in the Washington DC area uses just Chevy 2500 thru 5500 series trucks(Chapel Valley), and they only use gasser trucks, no diesels. Are there any other large Landscaping companies that use just Chevy or Dodge?

hess
07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
No, you won't see this service company in no Chevy or Dodge or in any rice burner!!

mdlwn1
07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Isuzo cab forward diesel 95 or newer. No problems ever. They don't go off road..(open rear) or have ground clearance. Easiest truck to work on. In central new jersey, you will only see cab forwards and some 450's. The rest are weekend warriors.