PDA

View Full Version : Employee nightmares!!!

McKeeLand
07-04-2007, 08:14 PM
This has been the worst year i think ever for employees for us. We have gone through four guys in the past 2 weeks. one guy begged us to hire him and after 6 hours said this was not for him and quit. and the response you get from the paper are priceless. i cant believe how many people answer an add that says 2-3 years experience required and then proceed to ask me "what is hardscaping" or even better "what's a paver":hammerhead: it is so hard to find good help that can lay pavers. any tips from you guys out there or finding good installers?

cedarcroft
07-04-2007, 09:59 PM
to find a GOOD installer, you have to TRAIN a BAD installer. Thats the only way.

Mike33
07-04-2007, 10:11 PM
My company name is Bobcat Landscaping Service. 90% of people calling me for a job first statement is " i can run a bobcat " My responce is thats after a few years of rake and shovel i run the bobcat, click goes the phone. Good luck to you.
Mike

McKeeLand
07-04-2007, 10:28 PM
at this point i would settle for a bad installer, at least he has some knowledge.

zedosix
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I have been lucky with that part of business. One guy has been with me for close to 20 yrs, another one (foreman) 12 yrs, 10 yrs another, 4 yrs and so on. I treat my guys well, pay them well, listen to them, pay them for holidays. I bought my foreman a car in 2002, and then a 3/4 ton ford last year. I give cash bonuses at end of year. Don't forget these are the guys who are putting bread on your table, or gas in your car, whatever.

McKeeLand
07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
i would love to find guys that i can invest in like that. i know it is an area that i need to invest more time in finding and retaining qualified employees. i just can never seem to find someone that i feel i will get back the investment. i have had good guys that work with me for along time, but it never seems that they grow, they just stay the same after a point. this is where i need to work harder to get more out of them and keep them motivated i guess.

mrusk
07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Find some LEGAL foreign help.

I have a foreign workforce. I have not had 1 guy late for work or no show all year. I have had ZERO broken tools or equipment repairs because of them. Honestly, my employees are the smoothest part of my business.

Besides the colleges kids i hire for summer, i have no interest in employing Americans.

lifetree
07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
to find a GOOD installer, you have to TRAIN a BAD installer. Thats the only way.

This may be true ... but it's hilarious to see it in writing !!

Mike33
07-05-2007, 12:00 AM
I have been lucky with that part of business. One guy has been with me for close to 20 yrs, another one (foreman) 12 yrs, 10 yrs another, 4 yrs and so on. I treat my guys well, pay them well, listen to them, pay them for holidays. I bought my foreman a car in 2002, and then a 3/4 ton ford last year. I give cash bonuses at end of year. Don't forget these are the guys who are putting bread on your table, or gas in your car, whatever.

I've tried that style with one of mine but not sure if its really working. I do belive and respect your concept though.
Mike

zedosix
07-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Oh and something else I forgot to mention is the age of the group, mostly "old school" guys, only one in his twenties. Nobody likes to work with a shovel in their hands all day or sweating with a wheelbarrow. Times are changing and we have all the right tools to make this a somewhat easier trade then what it was in the eighties, or nineties.

lawnkid
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm gonna be lookng for my first hardscaping foreman in the spring while I finish up the year with the guys I have. I don't believe in foreign help anymore because it seems that these hispanics will work for you for a couple years, learn your properties and get in well with your customers, then turn around, quit, start their own company and undercut you. There are several all hispanic run and operated companies around here popping up. Granted they don't always do perfect work, it's good enough to get by for 75% of the customers out there.

greenscapes,inc.
07-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh and something else I forgot to mention is the age of the group, mostly "old school" guys, only one in his twenties. Nobody likes to work with a shovel in their hands all day or sweating with a wheelbarrow. Times are changing and we have all the right tools to make this a somewhat easier trade then what it was in the eighties, or nineties.

I second that... the new generation coming up are LAZY. I have been through my share of employees this year and they have all been younger guys. 16-21. They will beg for work but when it comes down to it they dont want to work they just want to make money. I have three old school guys and they have not missed a day in years. They younger guys call is sick about once a week.

zedosix
07-05-2007, 07:07 PM
My girlfrienc teaches and she has the same problem, lazy and no initiative. The young are in for a shock when they get to the real world.

mrusk
07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
My one foreman is 50 years old and the other one i just hired is 44. I could not see hiring a guy to be foremen. How in the world could they have the experience to deal with all the un expected circumstances that come up on job sites.

I am young and know how to deal with unexpected things, but i am the exception to the rule.

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I employ all hispanics.

And we have very FEW problems. VERY FEW.

Haven't employed any Americans in about 8 years.

PlatinumLandCon
07-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Hire people that don't have experience. This way, they know they don't know what they're doing. If they have exerience, they think they know what they're doing and thing thats the only way. Someone that is hardworking with no experience can be moulded to your exact liking.

mrusk
07-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Hire people that don't have experience. This way, they know they don't know what they're doing. If they have exerience, they think they know what they're doing and thing thats the only way. Someone that is hardworking with no experience can be moulded to your exact liking.

Thats great if you want to expand slowly. It takes years to mold a person into a great hardscaper.

Mike33
07-05-2007, 10:51 PM
QUOTE=zedosix;1886912]My girlfrienc teaches and she has the same problem, lazy and no initiative. The young are in for a shock when they get to the real world.[/QUOTE]
Thats well put. Our work force in my area is so bad. Lets see we shave our head, get tattoes, go to gym, then run 3 miles to be a tough guy, but wont use rake or shovel or hump block. There in shape for what i dont know but plain lazy. :weightlifter:
Mike

dchauling
07-06-2007, 06:42 AM
I have three afghanies and they are the most reliable workers I can find. They are 18-21 and are very hard workers. The laziest kids are the white ones. Go figure. Wner through 4 this year already. My crew is only 8 with one full timer until snow falls. So Sept means a major slow down for me. Still growing, so some day I can have full timers year round I hope.