PDA

View Full Version : Need to pick up 50-60 residential clients

AAR Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I need to pick up 50-60 residential clients in the next 1-2 months. I'm in Florida and the rainy season only started a couple weeks ago. Whats the best way to go about picking up this many clients in this short of time? I'm in a pretty populated area and most the residential lots here are 1/8 or 1/4 acre postage stamps and they're close together. I'd like to end up with 100 by the end of the year if possible.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-04-2007, 07:34 PM
You better get off lawnsite and go find new customers! Seriously though, you'll need to spend the next several days posting flyers, going to potential customers, and maybe even make a few signs. If you have relatives in your area, ask them if you can place a sign in the yard. Through my experience in this business over the last 6 years, word-of-mouth will help you gain several customers, so make sure you do quality work.

Any reason you "have to pick up 50-60 clients in 1-2 months?" Or is this just part of your business plan? If you only get 30, keep at it, because summer is here and plenty of people won't mind hiring someone to take care of the lawn in the heat of summer, and/or on vacation time. Even if new customers ask you for a one-time mowing, I sure wouldn't say no. When you eventually get 100 customers, then you can start culling out yards that you necessarily don't want/need. They may realize the convenience and possibly hire you or pass your name along to their friends. And have business cards ready!

I would say that your goals are very achievable. Good luck and keep us informed on how you do.

justanotherlawnguy
07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Good Luck picking up that many customers in the next few months. Most of the communities out in your area are pretty much paying watered down prices as is, so it would even be hard to go in and try to lowball to get that many customers.

You have guys working those cookie cutter neighborhoods charging $50/ month.

just my 2 cents....

AAR Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 07:56 PM
You better get off lawnsite and go find new customers! Seriously though, you'll need to spend the next several days posting flyers, going to potential customers, and maybe even make a few signs. If you have relatives in your area, ask them if you can place a sign in the yard. Through my experience in this business over the last 6 years, word-of-mouth will help you gain several customers, so make sure you do quality work.

Any reason you "have to pick up 50-60 clients in 1-2 months?" Or is this just part of your business plan? If you only get 30, keep at it, because summer is here and plenty of people won't mind hiring someone to take care of the lawn in the heat of summer, and/or on vacation time. Even if new customers ask you for a one-time mowing, I sure wouldn't say no. When you eventually get 100 customers, then you can start culling out yards that you necessarily don't want/need. They may realize the convenience and possibly hire you or pass your name along to their friends. And have business cards ready!

I would say that your goals are very achievable. Good luck and keep us informed on how you do.

I need 50-60 because that's how many I figure I'll need to get by working this full time. It's possible I may get downsized out of my other job right now. How many flyers should I post? I hear about a 1-2% return can be expected, so about 5000? That would probably take several days to pass out?

Good Luck picking up that many customers in the next few months. Most of the communities out in your area are pretty much paying watered down prices as is, so it would even be hard to go in and try to lowball to get that many customers.

You have guys working those cookie cutter neighborhoods charging $50/ month.

just my 2 cents....

I've already taken into account the low prices people expect to service these yards, but they are also 10 minute or less yards. Generally I've seen these cookie cutters go for about $60/mo for basic services. I'm more concerned about getting a bunch close together than getting top dollar for them because they can be cut so quickly. Once I establish a decent residential base, I'd like to go out and try and pick up a couple commercial accounts within reasonable distance to make the good money.

coonman
07-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Just hammer the neighborhoods with DOOR HANGERS. They are mush easier to distribute and will not blow away. Get a friend or hire a kid to help. You can put out hundreds in a few hours. We usually got 3-5 calls per hundred. You will get calls six months down the road too. People will hang on to them most of the time. Also like the others are saying, put some yard signs out and give a card out to everyone you know. If you know anybody that paints houses or does carpentry for a living, load them up with your cards.

good luck

privatelawn
07-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Door hangers is the cheapest most effective way for us, Id say they should be printed in color and put on the door not on there mailbox like most around here do. I got sick of walking door to door though and now make 4x6 postcards instead, 1000 stamps is $260 and land me about 15-20 monthly customers

Pro-Scapes
07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
my parents live in florida in an area where lawns go for 50 -60 a month for weekly service... my mom said not a week goes by where she does not get at least 3 solicitations for lawn care. Some are lower priced.. some are a bit more... some offer this or that... your going to need to have a USP or unique selling point or not many will try you unless they are unhappy with thier current service.

One guy in thier area cut with an old reel mower and thats a unique point especially with all the golfers... another guy offers 20% off all addiotional work if he maintains you. Your in one of the most competitive places you can be. Thats why prices are half what they should be. I would think about offering a nieghborhood discount. Most of thoes retirees know eachother and if you can do a whole street and knock 10% off because no travel time it just might work.

Fantasy Lawns
07-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Charge $10 per cut

Mark in MD
07-06-2007, 08:58 AM
How you're going to pick up 50 new contracts in July - I have no idea.

AAR Lawn Services
07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
How you're going to pick up 50 new contracts in July - I have no idea.

Grass did just start growing here only a couple weeks ago and will continue to need weekly cutting for another 3 or 4 months.

Anyways, what I feared has happened. I was laid off of my full time job today. I need the money as I only have enough to last a couple months without a job.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
AAR i dont get it ? How can the grass just be starting to grow in July in Florida ?? Am I missing something here or what.

traman
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
what i think he means is ,its really growing fast now. we were in a drought for awhile,a good 12 weeks and with all the fert. that everybody put down during that time ,all we needed was a little rain . i have plenty of lawns i could cut every three days its out of control . i had 2 lawn today that were easy 8 inches tall .

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 05:58 PM
what i think he means is ,its really growing fast now. we were in a drought for awhile,a good 12 weeks and with all the fert. that everybody put down during that time ,all we needed was a little rain . i have plenty of lawns i could cut every three days its out of control . i had 2 lawn today that were easy 8 inches tall .

I thaught it thunder stormed every day almost down there ? I wish things were outta control here..:laugh:

AAR Lawn Services
07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I thaught it thunder stormed every day almost down there ? I wish things were outta control here..:laugh:

It does thunderstorm everyday here, starting in June or July and through September usually. :)

mattfromNY
07-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Personally, I think I'd hammer the mowing customers, but I'd also put out some ads for just 'hedge trimming', 'Edging', 'Mulching'. Whatever jobs you can do. I put out an ad last year for 'Hedge trimming' only, and got lots of jobs, then several of those people hired me for full service. Sometimes, people get numb of seeing all the 'lawnmowing' ads, but when a specialty service ad shows up, it stops them just long enough to take a second look at it. Maybe they just need that service and nothing more, but anyway, it keeps you working another day.