PDA

View Full Version : My 454 seized up today...where's a good place to buy parts/new engine?

mojob
07-04-2007, 09:47 PM
One of the oil cooler lines came loose and the engine bled out before I knew what happened. I shut the engine off as soon as I saw the oil pressure gage, but it was too late. I won't know for sure until I get the engine apart but I figure at the very least I'm looking at crank damage. So...where's a good place to buy engine parts like cranks, rods, pistons, bearing sets, etc? If I decide to just buy a new short block, where's a good place to buy one?

TLS
07-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Whats it in?

Year?

Miles?

I'd be looking at a GM crate engine depending on it's age.

If it's an older truck you have to ask yourself if it's worth repairing.

mojob
07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
It's in a 98 GMC 3500 dually 4X4 with 85K miles. Do you know if I can get a short block from GMC?

LindblomRJ
07-04-2007, 11:17 PM
With a Vortec I think a GM crate is the way to go. I think I might start with the dealer or machine shops.

I have to ask, how did the line come loose? 85K is pretty low mileage this day in age.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
07-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Check out summitracingequipment.com and that will point you in the right direction. They carry all of the GM crate engines, plus a few that will make you drool a little. Maybe stuff a 572 big block in there????:rolleyes:

TLS
07-05-2007, 10:10 AM
With a crate engine, your looking at some sort of warranty, and a somewhat run tested engine.

With a short block, it's all in you or your mechanic's skills.

A 98 with that low of miles, I would say it is worth it. Those were a good year. Don't forget to put NEW oil cooler lines and oil cooler on it. Never know what got up there.

mojob
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
With a Vortec I think a GM crate is the way to go. I think I might start with the dealer or machine shops.

I have to ask, how did the line come loose? 85K is pretty low mileage this day in age.
I replaced the hoses a few months ago and I'm guessing the hose diameter changed over that time and the hose clamps couldn't hold the hose on. I used hose that was made for use in oil and gas. I think the hoses originally come from the factory with crimped on steel tubing and fittings at the ends and the previous owner cut the hoses off and reused the tubing/fittings. It seemed to work since I could tell the old hoses had been on there for quite some time. I think it's pretty ironic...I changed the hoses to protect a perfectly good engine and it was the hose that killed it. A very expensive mistake I won't be making again.

Pro-Scapes
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I would definatly go with the brand new gm crate motor if you can afford it. Thoes aftermarket engines are built on a huge budget. You would be surprised at some of the ways they save money... reusing 3 cent valve locks... retainers... they machine the head to accept engine tek valves where all they do is lower the keeper groove and make the head of the valve a slight bit larger instead of replacing the seats.

They also use the cheapest seals and gaskets you they can find along with using regrind cams instead of new. Also check the boneyard for a low mileage totaled truck to use in your heart transplant. I picked up a motor one time for my jeep for 850... had 12k miles on it and someone flipped it and totalled it. As far as I know they new owner is still driving it daily 8 yrs later.

If you butcher it and put a crap motor in it you will regret it and it will wind up costing you more to do it again.

Your next best bet is to have a local machine shop rebuild the short block you have now.

McVey Landscaping
07-06-2007, 04:27 AM
I would go with a GM crate only way to go. you can sell that 454 to someone. I buy them to rebuild. Big blocks can get hard to find. Sold an 88 454 for $600 cash which was siezed. try selling it on ebay. but put a crate back in. :walking:

Albemarle Lawn
07-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Its a 502 designed for heavy towing.

P.Services
07-07-2007, 11:00 PM
if you dont want to shell out big bucks i would try to find a low mile engine out of a wreaked truck, pick up a truck trader or truck swapper lots of salvage yards to pick from.

LindblomRJ
07-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Its a 502 designed for heavy towing.

That would be a fun engine. I would hate to have to buy gas for that. Then again I cry when I fill up my pickup.

J&R Landscaping
07-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Jegs usually has a good selection of Crate engines. Getting a rebuilt engine from Jasper might also be something to look into. Also, maybe check at a dealer and see what a goodwrench replacement engine would cost you.

mowin at the lake
07-11-2007, 09:03 AM
check different chevy dealers on the price.
When my 2000 1 ton blew its 454 the local dealer was 1500 more than what i found a another dealer in chicago. plus free shipping and i got to keep the core. kane