PDA

View Full Version : 10-15 acres mowing with 60"

Espacesverts
07-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Just to know, Is a lot of guy here who mow 10 to 15 acres of flat lawn with few obstacles with 60" ZTR? If yes, how much time it takes?

By the way, who there strictly use 60" ztr and no 72" even if its a really really big commercial account? If yes why do you use them?

Thanks!

ShaneG757
07-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Are you drunk? :drinkup: :hammerhead:

Raven386
07-05-2007, 12:01 AM
nope... just canadian

bohiaa
07-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I have a customer that has 10 acers, we visit it every 10 days. about 25 to30 trees, it's a million dollar home, we keep it very clean, takes me and 1 other person about 4 hrs.

cutting with 1 52" exmark ztr,,

Great paying customer

Espacesverts
07-05-2007, 01:19 AM
ok thanks bohiaa and just for raven 386... a guy in my town own a big mowing company with 18 ztr...and the bigger ones are 60" and he mow a lot of city and big commercial...and he is making a LOT of money...so I don't think that I'm that weird...I just wanted to know if a lot of people were doing like him...

T Total Lawncare
07-05-2007, 08:51 AM
It's not your question he thinks is weird. It's your typing and grammar. I understand there may be subtle vocabulary differences, so I'm not gonna push it.

T Total Lawncare
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
He might be indian?

Eurosport
07-05-2007, 09:05 AM
It's not your question he thinks is weird. It's your typing and grammar. I understand there may be subtle vocabulary differences, so I'm not gonna push it.

Give the guy a break guys. Its because his mother toungue is French so he has trouble typing in english. At least he tries to communicate in english.

DaveVB
07-05-2007, 09:09 AM
We have 45-50 acres +-, and do it with a 72" and a 62". It takes them around 16 hours to accomplish a complete mow.

martinfan06
07-05-2007, 09:09 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Are you drunk? :drinkup: :hammerhead:

bohiaa
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
ok thanks bohiaa and just for raven 386... a guy in my town own a big mowing company with 18 ztr...and the bigger ones are 60" and he mow a lot of city and big commercial...and he is making a LOT of money...so I don't think that I'm that weird...I just wanted to know if a lot of people were doing like him...

I have that problem too, there is a fine line in bidding, like the 10 acer account, true a larger co. can come and unload 3, 4, 5 ZTR's and have 3 or 4 guys running line trimmers and they would be outta there in an hour or more,

seems they can charge a little less than us solo guys..
But the account I was talking about is a very good one, I'm the type that I dont mind staying at a site for 3 to 4 hrs, and the customer soesn't mind.

I'm happy as a lark sitting on my ZTR for that ammount of time...

and NO your NOT werid...

T Total Lawncare
07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Give the guy a break guys. Its because his mother toungue is French so he has trouble typing in english. At least he tries to communicate in english.

Frankly it didnt concern me i just figured he was typing in a hurry. I was commenting on the comments of others. I appologize, some people type and text message using types of a shorthand. You read it on this website all the time.

qualitylandscaping
07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
did a 19 acre lawn today. Took 1 1/2hrs with 2- 72" Dixie Choppers including trimming and blowing off driveway.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-05-2007, 10:26 PM
well ive cut ~6 acre lots before with my 61" Ferris mower/10mph.. mostly open, it took a while, easily 1hr 40~ minutes just on the mower time. again mostly all open though.

I have areas that are just 3 acres open and i piss and @%@#$% about not having a 12mph/72" deck ztr machine like the Ferris 3100z/72"/32hp briggs that i want for next spring since i cant afford a diesel model.

It helps to have two though. On some of my larger areas i break out the Legacy XL Simplicity tractor thats a 27hp diesel, 60" mower deck with striping rollers and does about 10mph too. Cuts nicer than most ZTRs, including my own but still cant zip through a turn like the ZTRs, it does cut down my mowing time greatly though once im done trimming big properties and my guys are on the other machines.

If i had even 1-2 accounts over 10 acres, id make sure i had a good 72" deck machine for all of that, unless you have very few accounts and can afford to spend all the time at one lot.:weightlifter:

KTO Enterprises
07-06-2007, 12:05 AM

His English and punctuation is a lot better than a lot of the Americans on this site. :usflag: :canadaflag:

Espacesverts
07-06-2007, 02:02 AM
THank you KTO enterprise!

BobcatZT
07-06-2007, 02:50 AM
did a 19 acre lawn today. Took 1 1/2hrs with 2- 72" Dixie Choppers including trimming and blowing off driveway.

An hour and a half for 19 acres with 2- 72" Dixie Choppers including trimming and blowing off driveway? You must be the most efficient cutter in the business. :hammerhead:

The fastest Dixie Chopper can mow 9 acres per hour. But we all know those numbers are fudged, and no mower comes close to the acres per hour spec.

BQLC
07-06-2007, 11:46 AM
His English and punctuation is a lot better than a lot of the Americans on this site. :usflag: :canadaflag:

I have to agree with that statement.

robbo521
07-06-2007, 01:53 PM
what world do some of you all cut in?19 acres in 1 1/2hrs,is this a ballpark that is nothing but flat land?

Rob.C
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
nope... just canadian

HE'S Mexican i bet !? Most guys use the 72 for large wide open areas like that , the 72 doesnt always leave a high quality cut like some of the 60' Z'S

TSB group
08-06-2010, 07:32 PM
An hour and a half for 19 acres with 2- 72" Dixie Choppers including trimming and blowing off driveway? You must be the most efficient cutter in the business. :hammerhead:

The fastest Dixie Chopper can mow 9 acres per hour. But we all know those numbers are fudged, and no mower comes close to the acres per hour spec.

Damn, and I just fired all my crews for taking too long!

TSB group
08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
I do a 5 acre property that takes me about 2.5 hours - 3 hours to mow depending on the length in some spots. I spend about 30 minutes mowing and blowing. Its on a Ferris/32 briggs and full out for about 80% and slower around buildings. I thought I was doing okay.

Realslowww
08-06-2010, 08:55 PM
I have a 60 Super z and a 72 Super and for where I am in Florida a 72 is way more productive on anything bigger than a 1/2 acre. I have timed it and of course it is property dependent but the 72 is on average 25 to 30 percent faster. A better combo is to have a 48 or 52 and just jump to 72 and forget 60.

cutbetterthanyou
08-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a 60 Super z and a 72 Super and for where I am in Florida a 72 is way more productive on anything bigger than a 1/2 acre. I have timed it and of course it is property dependent but the 72 is on average 25 to 30 percent faster. A better combo is to have a 48 or 52 and just jump to 72 and forget 60.

I agree 100%. I have a 72 super z that will flat out "get it", and a 52 exmark with a bagger for tight areas. I think what i have now is the most efficant setup of what i have owned. I fell like if you can't cut it with a 72 it is tight enough it needs to be bagged. To me a 60 is usless unless it has a bagger and even with the bagger then it is almost to big for those tight areas.

Realslowww
08-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I agree 100%. I have a 72 super z that will flat out "get it", and a 52 exmark with a bagger for tight areas. I think what i have now is the most efficant setup of what i have owned. I fell like if you can't cut it with a 72 it is tight enough it needs to be bagged. To me a 60 is usless unless it has a bagger and even with the bagger then it is almost to big for those tight areas.bagging is worthless,I feel sorry for you.When I bought the 72 I did not think it would be 2 much faster than my 60 but I soon realized that a 60 is really not very fast.

cutbetterthanyou
08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
bagging is worthless,I feel sorry for you.When I bought the 72 I did not think it would be 2 much faster than my 60 but I soon realized that a 60 is really not very fast.

I don't feel it is worthless. It lets me cut tight areas that most would use a 21 or 36, or yards that are too small for my 72. I onlt use my 52 about 3-4 hrs a week, but i'll be damed if i'm am going to push mow anything. I don't use it alot, but i wouold be lost without it.

topsites
08-06-2010, 11:05 PM
About once every two weeks or so I get to take the Ztr out for an entire day
of nothing but acre+ lots, although most are right around an acre.

Now I realize all of you with your Ztr's can probably do like 100 of these one handed while you got a
21" doing the trimming in the other hand, all in 8-10 maybe 12 minutes a piece...
Knock'm out just like that, for those who are a little bit calmer 10 acres in 4 hours is still a rather stout figure.

Because a LOT of those days I get like 5 done, maybe 6...
It's not that I can't do more but after 8 hours of it I have usually had enough.

It's not about if your Ztr can mow a 1/3 acre in 10 minutes that must mean you can do 5 acres in 2.5 hours,
it doesn't work that way and it bothers me to think that folks who have never done 10 acre lots would talk
about how fast they can do it as if they did it all the time...
It takes a lot more to doing big lots than simple multiplication.

First the heat drains the energy out of me, I too can knock out what have you on
a cool day when everything just happens to roll off smooth and I happen to
set a new record, but it gets to where I don't even want to set a record anymore.

Then it's a rough ride so I slow it down some, either way it's going to take however long, again I'm not setting records.
Between those hours where I just want to park the Z under a tree and go to sleep,
because I've done this long enough it gets to where I literally start to falling asleep on the Z,
talk about doing what many acres, I am telling you watch the fatigue.

I did a 2.5 - 3 acre lot for a bit and that used to take me 2-3 hours, too...
Why, again because it just drags and I don't cut the entire 2 hours straight, take a nap or a chill somewhere.
I used to reserve an entire AFTERNOON for it just to be sure I had the TIME.

Yeah, trimmed up in 20 minutes, what kind of joke is that, how do you RUN around that lot
with the HI in the 100's and the humidity at 90%?

The bigger the lot, the LONGER it takes just to WALK all around trimming everything,
you got house and driveway and perimeter for starters, most folks have a ditch and
how about trees and mulch / flower beds?
Hell it takes a 1/2 hour just to WALK it.

But I know, most of the guys here, piece of cake.

Now for me, not unusual at all for a simple one acre lot to take me all of 90 minutes on a hot day.
As to how long 10 acres would take, I don't know because I've never done one but I do know it would
push the limits of what I can do with my 60" Z and I also know I would reserve the WHOLE day.

topsites
08-06-2010, 11:26 PM
There's more...

It's not that it can't be done, but for a solo, unless you just love to ride tractor ALL day :laugh:

Because those crews, I see them too...
Yes they cut a lot of acres but a lot of times they take breaks, and what they
don't get done today, they're back tomorrow and the next day.
They can be in one place for DAYS because to a big company it just doesn't matter, hey guys,
go do that there community association, you know, the 50 acre one.
Oh yeah sure no prob boss.

Yeah, and what doesn't get done today, there's always tomorrow,
I have seen the same crew in the same neighborhood two and three days
out of the week, working on the same dang plots of community grass
but I do not believe this attitude would be practical for a solo operation.

For myself, what I can't get done in a day, isn't happening.
I would personally be unlikely to take on anything larger than 10 acres, and I'd really prefer 8 at the biggest.

Most folks, we work in stretches of an hour or two, then we need a break.
And some might can go for four hours at a time, but are you ready for that?
It's worse when it is very hot outside, like in the summer.
I tell you I so wish my Z's seat would RECLINE :p

But if you find it to be your cup of tea then by all means,
I am not saying you should not do it, but proceed without haste.

MS_SURVEYOR
08-07-2010, 12:46 AM
tops!

Ya got it down brother! :drinkup:

mowerman11
08-07-2010, 11:36 PM
Topsites, how old are you? Just sounds like your 70 wanting to take breaks and nap all day. Lol, not being mean just wondering. I've worked 12-13 hour days in the heat and high humidity and my only break is driving to the next job and the ten minutes eating mcds or taco bell in my truck. I am young though...
Posted via Mobile Device

js_landscape&design
08-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Espacesverts, I can't speak to cutting 15 acres with few obstacles, but I do have a 17.5 acre site where I use my 60" cut ztr. There are approx. 45 homes on this acreage with two large fields that make up the back yards, and those fields are around 3 acres each. This site has small front and side yards and is perfect for my 60" ztr. I could absolutely use a 72" machine on the back yards, but I went with the 60" for several reasons.

First of all, a 72" is more likely to scalp and leaves a poorer quality cut than a 60" or smaller machine.

The 60" is the most versatile size machine for doing smaller lots or large acreage.

It is also the largest ztr that I could fit on my current trailer, and a 16'X6' trailer is a very common size.

A 72" ztr is not very much more expensive to purchase than a 60", but a 60" machine will have a better resale value. This is b/c 72" mowers are rarely used by homeowners or smaller LCOs and so, there is not a large demand for that size.

Now on the flip side, that 72" mower will save you a ton of time over the 60". I have used both and admit that I prefer the 72" wherever it can be used for the greatest amount of production.
However, what you have to consider is even though the 72" mower will save you time mowing, if you have a fair number of obstacles that the larger mower can not maneuver around, then you are actually hurting yourself due to the extra amount of time it takes for trimming. So for that reason, I chose to go with the 60". I can use the rider in more places and I am less fatigued at the end of the day.

For spring cuts, that 17.5 acre lot takes me 14 hrs. Lately, due to the excessive rain, hot temperatures, and bi-monthly cuts, that same 17.5 acres takes me 21 hrs. I do it all myself and the heat is a huge factor in how much I can complete. Ultimately, if I had two mowers for that site, they would be a 52" and a 72". That way I could maximize efficiency and have optimal equipment for use on all my accounts. The correct answer to your post is to use what you have, unless the job pays well enough for you to get the most productive size machine you need. Anyone who has used a 72" ztr would absolutely agree that a 60" mower is not effective for acreage that size with very little obstacles. Take the time to go over all your accounts and see what size machine will give you the greatest overall benefit.

nathannc
08-10-2010, 10:20 AM

43560 Square feet in an Acre

5280 Feet in a mile

12 Feet = Swath of 2 Dixie Choppers with 6 foot decks

19 * 43560 = 827640 Square feet in 19 acres. 827640 / 12 = 68970 = distance in feet traveled by mowers with no turnarounds mowing 19 acres where "12" is the combined width of the two mowers. 68970 / 5280 = 13.0625 where 13.0625 is the miles traveled and thus is the MPH the mowers must travel to mow the grass in one hour. For 1 1/2 hours it would be 13.0625 / 1.5 = 8.708 miles per hour average.

This assumes of course, no overlap, and no turnaround time and, full speed operation. If you subtract the time for trimming and what not, this seems unlikely. My guess is that it may be some less than 19 acres or, it took a little more time than you thought.

This is certainly better than one guy on here for whom I did similar calculations and found that his tractors had to be traveling an average exceeding 33 miles per hour.

Mark Oomkes
08-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Dang, beat me to it.

43560 Square feet in an Acre

5280 Feet in a mile

12 Feet = Swath of 2 Dixie Choppers with 6 foot decks

19 * 43560 = 827640 Square feet in 19 acres. 827640 / 12 = 68970 = distance in feet traveled by mowers with no turnarounds mowing 19 acres where "12" is the combined width of the two mowers. 68970 / 5280 = 13.0625 where 13.0625 is the miles traveled and thus is the MPH the mowers must travel to mow the grass in one hour. For 1 1/2 hours it would be 13.0625 / 1.5 = 8.708 miles per hour average.

This assumes of course, no overlap, and no turnaround time and, full speed operation. If you subtract the time for trimming and what not, this seems unlikely. My guess is that it may be some less than 19 acres or, it took a little more time than you thought.

This is certainly better than one guy on here for whom I did similar calculations and found that his tractors had to be traveling an average exceeding 33 miles per hour.

I guess math and grammar are both optional in schools nowadays.

JCinNC
08-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I cut 7 acres, and decided to take the GPS along for the ride. When I was done, I had travelled 16.2 miles, and it took a total of 4.75 hours(this includes a few breaks:drinkup:). There was a total time moving of 4.1 hours and an average speed of 3.1 mph, a top speed of 6.8 mph. This is with a 50" deck, and there are only 5 trees to mow around. The yard is pretty rough in places, and I'm not sure if the GPS counts turn arounds as moving or not.

All_Toro_4ME
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I had a 10 acre property last year. It took me right at 6 hours with a 52'' and 42" mower along with all the trimming and walking from one tree to the next.

flatlander42
08-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Dang, beat me to it.

By 3 YEARS!!!!:jester:

unkownfl
08-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Solo it takes 3 hours 15 mins to cut 10 acres of Bahia with my Lesco Z-two 60. I cut it every 10 days and it's always within 5 minutes per trip. Now that's just mowing it takes another 45 minutes to trim edge and blow. Today I brought an old helper for some side money for him to catch up on my lawns from the rain; I just bought a 52 Wright Z (mid mount rider) it took us 3 hours complete with the 60 Lesco and Wright. We did stop once for rain for about 5 minutes too. Keep in mind here we don't stripe the lawns just run it over in a circle pattern counter clockwise while side discharging.

dkknott
08-11-2010, 01:11 AM
I have two large customer. one is 5.5 acres mowed it today in 2 hr 10 min with 60" JD 950 another includes trimming.

Another one is about 5 acres and takes me 2 hrs by myself to mow and trim.

I have many small customers, so cant justify a 72" that w'd be too big for them.

dhardin53
08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I have 2 yards to mow today First one is 4 acres with 15 trees, one hour average mow and trim time. Second is 8 acres all open NO trees or obstructions just over one hour average. I use a 60" DC, one man operation. These two properties are well suited for a hot day like today. Lots of riding little weed wiping.

I have a pull behind that i usually use with these type of work but it needs some deck repairs right now.The pull behind is 60" 20 hp and usually shortens these 2 large property by half.