PDA

View Full Version : DR Power / Billy Got Leaf vac for under $800 - is it worth it?

Exact Rototilling
07-05-2007, 02:44 AM
I have the chance to buy a used Walk Behind Leaf vacuum for under $800 Billy Goat & DR Power are identical except for engine. Unit used privately for just one season. Apparently it retail for over $1500

Is this a good deal? I'm thinking for fall leaf clean up and spring detaching I could pay for it in before the end of October. Local city here allows resident to pile leaves in front of the curb and snow plows and loader take it from there.

http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=48

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepChapterPage2L.aspx?Name=LeafLawnVacDual2Step&Chap=LLVWBMicroSite&Page=LLVWBCleanSweep&SiteEntryMode=0&BC=0%3aHome&LinkType=3

Any thoughts?

Is this unit worth it over a good bagging 21' mower like a Areins or Gravely 21' :confused: ??

Happy 4th :usflag:

Exact Rototilling
07-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Just found these posts in another section:

Billy Goat MV.....http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=182555

Yes the DR I will be looking at this weekend has the same hose accessory - I will be looking this part over with a fine teeth comb.
:dizzy:

Runner
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
They are a waste of time. There have been several threads on these things, and you will find that not only do the majority of the commercial people not use them, but the vast majority of the people who have had them have either got rid of them, or just do not use them. They fill quick, blow dust in your face, and are cumbersome. It is like I said in a thread before...What i someone made one of these that sucks the stuff up, grinds the material even more than these do, and bags it up.....Oh yeah,...they do....it is called a lawnmower.
I can guarantee you that a mower or blower(s) are alot more productive than these are for doing leaves. And no,...they don't pick up acorns and shells very well. About the only place they really shine is picking up litter and debris in tight places on windy days. How bad do you really need one?

Exact Rototilling
07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm convinced that a good hi suction mower, a good backpack blower and a rake is what would work best for leaf cleanup.

Thanks for confirming my doubts. I just saved the better part of $800 payup

DuraCutter
07-08-2007, 01:47 AM
I'm convinced that a good hi suction mower, a good backpack blower and a rake is what would work best for leaf cleanup.

Thanks for confirming my doubts. I just saved the better part of $800 payup

The vacuums are at times worthy of owning them.

For example, the little wonder comes with a bag that comes off in seconds and dumps easily without zippers. The little wonder has the best suction out there and for leaves, it will work better than a mower. For one, if you have to vacuum on cement, on road or anywhere you really can't use a mower, it's worth the investment.

I do parking lot cleanups and the little wonder is strong enough it got us out of a jam once when all the sweepers packed in. It sucked up all the gravel off the cement and saved our hide.

We keep the little wonder in the back of the 1 ton at all times, that's how valuable it is. We may not use it every day, but when we need it, it comes in real handy. I guess it all depends on how much money you have and if you can stand having a unit that won't be used everyday.

:)

baddarryl
07-08-2007, 06:05 AM
Dura is right about the parking lots. I had one of those Troy Built vacs at one time. Waste of money for leaf clean up. Will not pick up pine straw period.

CustomKare
07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
DR waste of money. Too big to manuever / Store. Chipper says 3" yeah if the branch is broomstick straight! I have a 6HP chipper vac for sale, paid over $1500 selling it for $700!!!

DuraCutter
07-09-2007, 12:44 AM
DR waste of money. Too big to manuever / Store. Chipper says 3" yeah if the branch is broomstick straight! I have a 6HP chipper vac for sale, paid over $1500 selling it for $700!!!

I DR is made by billygoat I'd be very careful about buying it.

I bought the VQ wide area vacuum from Billygoat. If you go to their web site it boasts about being the "heavyweight" of vacuums. I thought for sure it would do what I wanted and I bought it. Man, with the bag acting as the filter it clogged 5 mins. into a job. To make a long story short, a $4,500 vacuum is total gargage. It won't do what it says it will. I turned around and bought the Little wonder vac with the detachable bag and that's the one I used to do a parking lot with. 4 times stronger than the Billygoat VQ and 4 times less the price...yes, $1,100 only.

I posted this on the Billygoat sponsor area and Mr. Force came on and informed me it's a 1992 design. I had no idea it was such old thec.

Don't believe anything said on their web sites. Go for a Little wonder type of machine if they have one.

Buyer beware on those Billygoats!

:)