PDA

View Full Version : Reseed backyard

cross1933
07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
In September I will be building a paver brick patio, also during this time I will bring in some topsoil and grade approximately the last 50' of the yard from end to end. The grade done by the builder was a poor job and needs to be corrected. I have a couple of questions regarding the preparation of this area.The grass(weeds) were planted in the middle of May.I have a John Deer 755 with a bucket and a roto tiller for attachemets to use.
1.Should I rototill the area that I will be replacing or use a chemical to kill the existing weeds?
2.What type of attachment should I rent to spread out and grade the new soil,Gill Rake?

Any suggestions on how to do this or products to work with will be appreciated. I wish to use Kentucky Bluegrass for a seed is my only decision at the moment.

carcrz
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
As far as killing the weeds, use Round-up a couple weeks in advance so everything's dead when you go to do the work. Depending on how much dirt you're bringing in, If you get quality ground up dirt you should be able to use a loader to spread it out & smooth it out fairly easy.

cross1933
07-05-2007, 12:54 PM
As far as killing the weeds, use Round-up a couple weeks in advance so everything's dead when you go to do the work. Depending on how much dirt you're bringing in, If you get quality ground up dirt you should be able to use a loader to spread it out & smooth it out fairly easy.

I had considered using Roundup but I have two children and a dog. Will a rototill job be sufficient enough, the mixture of grass to weed is about 90/10. There are not alot of weeds but the weeds grow better than the grass.
I purchased to black topsoil and patched two areas of the yard about 1 week after the builder did. The grass that I planted has outgrown the builders grass by about 10 to 1. The top soil i put in came from,http://www.844dirt.com/dirt.htm.
Will the Grill Rake pack the soil?

carcrz
07-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Kiddos & pets will be fine once it dries. That takes a couple hours tops depending on weather conditions. You could also use a broadleaf weed killer to take care of just the broadleaf weeds which is what I would do if they aren't bad. Not sure on the rake.

cross1933
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Kiddos & pets will be fine once it dries. That takes a couple hours tops depending on weather conditions. You could also use a broadleaf weed killer to take care of just the broadleaf weeds which is what I would do if they aren't bad. Not sure on the rake.

Will the broadleaf killer effect new grass, the grass is will be 3 months old when I start?

I called a local rental place and they stated the Gill rack is more intended to brake up clods in the dirt.

What about a germination blanket to place over the soil after seeding and starter fertilizer.

carcrz
07-05-2007, 01:38 PM
only if it has just started to germinate. 3 months should be plenty of time for it to be ready for chemicals. The thing I would still be a bit concerned about though is driving over it w/ heavy equipment spreading the soil. You could have some compaction issues if you are on it too much. You will probably want to aerate in the fall and again in the spring.

cross1933
07-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Is it better to use Round Up or Roto Till in the area that I will be covering with new top soil?I had considered using Round Up and then cover over with the new dirt, is it beneficial to roto till after the round up has taken effect?