PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat Starting Issues

RBall151
07-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased a Billy Goat FM3000 that was slightly used. I have loved how it has performed, but I am having starting issues. I thought the spark plug was the problem, so I replaced it and that did not help. It has a the proper amount of oil and the air filter is clean. When I pull the recoil start, it does not turn over.

Where is the next place I can look?

Thanks,
Ryan

NickN
07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Dump the fuel and put in fresh fuel.If you have old or water/fuel,it will cause problems like this.

RBall151
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
The fuel is new. I just filled it up before I was about to use it. Do you know of any other issues?

Bill Kapaun
07-05-2007, 04:29 PM
"When I pull the recoil start, it does not turn over. "
Do you mean the engine is "locked up"?
IF so, I would guess that the needle/seat in the carb is leaking and filling the cylinder with gas.
Check the oil level to see if it has increased and smell it for the presence of gasoline.
IF you have any evidence this is the problem then-
Remove spark plug and GROUND the WIRE. (we don't want ANY sparks) Slowly pull the recoil to push any excess gas out of the cylinder.
Fix the carb.
Change the oil & filter (if equipped)

RBall151
07-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Hey, Thanks for the help. When I said the engine doesn't turn over, I ment it pulls like normal, but it just won't start. It's not locked up, I wish that was the problem after I read your how-to fix it! I was concerned that there was a little bit of oil in the spark plug area. But oil is like blood, one drop looks like a gallon, lol.

What else could it be?

Bill Kapaun
07-06-2007, 02:05 AM
What engine is it?

Does it have spark?

NickN
07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Did you replace it with gas out of a can,or out of a pump?
The gas in your can may have water in it,especially if you leave it on the trailer with the vent open.
I've had to dump everything before,just from bad gas in a can.

RBall151
07-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I just replaced the gas just to make sure that wasn't the problem and with fresh fuel from the pump it still isn't the problem.

The Engine is a 13hp Briggs and Stratton. The Model is 21A9070.

I unplugged the fuel line running from the fuel pump to the carb, and gas spat out so it isn't the fuel pump.

I'm really stumped.

Bill Kapaun
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
As I asked in my previous post-
"Does it have spark?"

RBall151
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey. The engine does have spark, I just had to wait until I could get it tested. Does anyone know where to buy a good spark plug tester? The shop I took it to had a small one that I would like to buy.

It turns out the engine just have excess gas in the camber. So it basically was flooded like none other.
This was the fix that worked:
"Remove spark plug and GROUND the WIRE. (we don't want ANY sparks) Slowly pull the recoil to push any excess gas out of the cylinder."

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Bill Kapaun
07-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I just take an old plug with the gap opened to about 3/16" and ground it to the block.

lifetree
07-25-2007, 09:19 PM
... It turns out the engine just have excess gas in the camber. So it basically was flooded like none other. This was the fix that worked -- "Remove spark plug and GROUND the WIRE. (we don't want ANY sparks) Slowly pull the recoil to push any excess gas out of the cylinder."

What your describing with the engine flooding is a known problem with the Billy Goat FM3300 machines ... the first time you start the machine in the morning you should put it on choke, after that simply put the throttle in the standard position and it will start !! Sometimes, after it has been sitting for an hour or more during the day, we want to put the throttle on choke again, however, this is what makes the engine flood !!

I don't know what it is about the engines that Billy Goat uses on these machines but that is a standard problem with the FM3300.