PDA

View Full Version : Kawassaki FB460V - No spark?

oldmower
07-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Hello
I'm new to this forum. I had just purchased an older Bobcat 32" mower. When I purchased 2 days ago it ran great ( 3 pulls started ). I uncovered to clean it up and it won't start. Checked for spark ( none ). Took apart the harness, cleaned grounds, jumped saftey switches, still no spark. Fustrated and needing the machine to do a big job in a couple of days, I brought it to a shop. I hope to hear from the Friday. Does anyone have any idea of what to check for and what to keep an eye on if the shop gets it running.
Thanks Oldy:hammerhead:

Restrorob
07-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Next time just un-plug the harness kill wire (should be black) from the igniter then check for spark, This will eliminate all the safety switches.

It could be as simple as water in the plug wire boot or the spark plug, Or just time for the coil or igniter to take a dump.

If it turns out to be either the coil or igniter there is nothing to watch out for. Just replace the bad part.

oldmower
07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for posting. If its a coil or igniter, how much should the shop charge so I can tell if the guys doing the right thing.
Thanks again

Restrorob
07-05-2007, 08:47 PM
The coil is MSRP: 46.76, Igniter MSRP: 58.12

The labor depends on how much a hour and how slow they are at diagnosing the problem and installing the failed part.

should be able to be done in less than a hour if the coil is replaced.

oldmower
07-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks Restrorob
I''m try to get some understanding. There is some sort of relay under the control panel ( I'll try to post pics ) that I believe is grounded to the panel that has 4 wires going into the harness. It is mounted by a bolt that secures the throtle.
Question - what does this do and does this ever go bad?
There is one 4 prong connection under the control panel and another further down the harness near the engine. The one near the engine has a black grounding to the engine, a red going to what I believe is the igniter, and a purple looping back into the connector. I did not take the cover off the engine to get a good look at the igniter but I'm assuming that ther is another black wire on the igniter that is grounded right there.
Question - If I take the connector closest to the engine apart, would this be the same as taking the black wire off the igniter and bypass all the saftey switches?
Thanks for your time
Oldy

Restrorob
07-06-2007, 08:08 AM
The relay looking part on the control panel is the safety switch interlok module that controls all the safety switches.

The control unit {igniter) is mounted on the outside of the flywheel cover with a wire going to the coil under the cover.

Below is the standard rope start ignition system harness from Kawi, What ever wiring is plugged into this depends on the OEM of the unit. If the switch wire in the below pic is disconnect from the engine harness this eliminates any safety switches and stop switches to eliminate a no spark situation being caused by the unit.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FB460RopeStartHarness.jpg

So, You didn't take this unit to the shop as stated ?

themowerman
07-06-2007, 09:34 AM
What is the model # off of the tag? Is it a gear, variable, or hydro?

oldmower
07-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Restrorob - It is in the shop as we speak. I was stressed because I need it for a job Monday. I'm trying to get a better understanding and your helping alot. This way I know what to look for in the future. When I get it back I can post pics.
Themowerman - As soon as I get it back from the shop I'll post the model # Its an old Bobcat/Ramsomes.
Thanks Guys

oldmower
07-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Got the machine back and ran it for 2 hours on a job that I have. The guy at the shop was pretty cool. He said it had no spark so he did the same thing that you were saying. He disconnected red wire that is connected to one of the white wires ( there are 2 white ) at the engine. Than he had spark and she ran. He pinched some of the connections that bypassed the safety switches. Then it ran with the red wire connected. He told me if it acts up on a job I can disconnect the red and she will run. ( Which did happen ) I think I would like to bypass the whole wire harness since none of the safety switches are working.
Question - Can I get a new key switch and have 1 terminal go to the red wire and the other terminal go to the ground at the engine?

Also I would like to thank you for helping me out
Oldy

Restrorob
07-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Question - Can I get a new key switch and have 1 terminal go to the red wire and the other terminal go to the ground at the engine?

You can do just that or purchase a single post key switch like on a snapper. It grounds through the switch housing then just hook the red wire to the one terminal.

Also......Glad to help.

Cya

themowerman
07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I would just replace the bad safety switch or interlock mod....which ever you diagnose is bad. I would not bypass the safetys....especially if you have someone else running the machine for liability reasons.