PDA

View Full Version : Quick 36 vs. my Toro 21' Super Recycler?

Exact Rototilling
07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I've read quite a number of posts that a Quick 36 can cut mowing times in half from what one can do the same yard with a 21' self propelled. Is this with bagging, mulching or side discharge? And how much time is saved with the Step Saver in wide open areas? Also does it mulch that well with the standard blades or are the Gator blades required to get a similar mulching experience as I get from my Toro Super Recycler?

So I guess what I'm getting at is I feel that the Quick 36 is the next logical step to cost effective fast track to productivity thus adding more clients to be able to justify bigger equipment possibly down the road.

What I'm doing now is bidding on weekly mowing clients based on 30% to 50% increased productivity of the Quick 36. I'm losing what I'd like to make hourly to secure the client mowing with the 21. Since I don't have a huge number of clients it's not an issue & I have my other business to cover most of my living expenses.

So at what point in a solo operation does a Quick 36 become a slow boat compared to a bigger commercial riding mower? My current limitations are my trailer size right at 4' x 8' and the tow vehicle is my old 85 Toyota 4 cylinder 4 x 4. If I get a decent commercial riding mower I would not bother with a trailer smaller than 6 x 12 and I don't feel that my Toyota is the best tow vehicle which would force me to upgrade to a full size truck thus more cost. Towing capacity is really under 1500 pounds if that with the Toyota. :cry:

My area has a considerable amount of weekend warrior types with consumer or worse grade 21' mowers and a truck. It's important to me to distance myself from this class of operator but yet remain competitive by getting the work done quicker and providing superior service.

I work another home business that covers my basic expenses so paying for a Quick 36 by summers end is extremely likely. I'm gaining roughly 1 client every 2 weeks or so with just newspaper ads this late in the season.

How big of an area would one need to be regularly mowing to justify the extra speed of a decent commercial riding mower vs. the Quick 36? Maybe that a question for another post.

Any input greatly appreciated.

GreenT
07-05-2007, 09:55 PM
I've read quite a number of posts that a Quick 36 can cut mowing times in half from what one can do the same yard with a 21' self propelled. Is this with bagging, mulching or side discharge?

does it mulch that well with the standard blades or are the Gator blades required to get a similar mulching experience as I get from my Toro Super Recycler?

So at what point in a solo operation does a Quick 36 become a slow boat compared to a bigger commercial riding mower?

How big of an area would one need to be regularly mowing to justify the extra speed of a decent commercial riding mower vs. the Quick 36?

Yes! :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

GreenT
07-05-2007, 10:04 PM
:) Just trying to point out that you have too many questions for this thread. Makes it hard to get a complete answer.

Basically you will notice a significant increase in productivity with the 36 up to 3/4 acre. Any bigger would call for a ztr, probably in the 48" to 54" range unless you are doing over 3-5 acres.

Regarding mulching, it depends on the type of turf you cut. I'm using the Gators on my Quick 36 because Bahia and St. Augustine are tough to mulch when they grow like they are now with all the rain and heat.

Hope this helps.

IHusky
07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
If I was you, I would go with a 32 or 36" wb, unless you think you are going to land some really big accounts that require a Ztr. If you get a rider, you most likely will have to get a bigger truck and trailer...how much will a new trailer/truck cost you? Now you are towing a Ztr (800-1000 lbs) and a bigger trailer (1000-1500 lbs). Do you really want to tow that with a 4 banger? I think if you get a rider, then you are going to shell out some serious $$$$$$. Stick with a 32" or 36" walk behind. It will fit on your trailer and your 4 banger can still tow it. Don't have a Quick 36 so can't comment on that. But a commercial wb from a dealer you like should be perfect. Yes, it will cut your mow time down and you will be less tired at the end of the day, get a two wheeled velke. You can always buy the Ztr and trailer as you get the bigger accounts. The 32/36 wb is a good stepping stone as you grow. Just my 2 cents.

Exact Rototilling
07-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Green T,

Excellent point too many ?'s for one thread. :hammerhead:

I get the picture 3/4 of acre or more you're in the riding mower arena. My Toyota is rated for 2,000 pound towing capacity which isn't much. I've towed over 2,500 with it and it's really pushing it. Looks like I'm in the WB 36 camp for now. I have fairly expensive taste as I go up the ladder and I'm sure if I was to buy a rider it would be well over $6,000

I will still bid on larger properties but will eat some of my time to get the account in anticipation of getting the riding mower.

Hey if I spend $4,500 for this rider then I can spend $5,800 or much more for X, Y & Z reason.

I really don't see many 36 & 44 WB in my area. Typically a Riding mower and a 21' is what most solo operators use here.

Thanks for the input thus far.

TAZ
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM
from my experience the std blades work really well for mulching. As with any machine how well it mulches is based on the conditions of the grass and how much your taking off.

-TAZ

Vikings
07-06-2007, 11:32 AM
A 4x8 trailer would be perfect for a quick and 21 but I've seen pics of a guy who put them both in a ford ranger. He had a buddy ramp of some sort.

My experience with a Toro 36 (one month experience) is that you don't save anytime on small yards and it's hard to make them look nice and the 36 doesn't fit through half the gates (if not more). But on large open area's it's really great.

On the whole, I would have bought a Gravely 34 minni Z instead because at least then I could be sitting down. I bought the 36 not knowing I would need a trailer.

EngineeredLawns
07-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I almost bought the Quick 36 but I found a Toro 36" with less than 50 hours on it for appox 1500. You will not cut your time in 1/2, but what did take an hour may be 40 minutes for a good size yard. On a postage stamp lot, not much in savings on time, but one I did in 15 min. with a 21", now it is 10 min with the 36. Big savings is that you are not as tired. The quick 36 is a nice mower. I stopped in their shop in Winston Salem and demo it, real nice and light. As others have said, the rider will require a bigher trailer, which will require a bigger truck. Quick 36 will work for several years and then if you want to get bigger, go for it. Also a rider can tear us the lawn more due to the wieght.

RM n WS
07-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I started with a toro 21 and moved up to the better 36 when they first came out. I am still using the original better 36 machine everyday. This much I can tell you the better 36 is very light, mows well, stripes well, bags well and is very durable. The thing that I like the best about it is that I can mow all day on 1 tank of gas and it fits sideways on my trailer. I also only use gator blades on because the are so heavy duty. Hope this helps you!

Exact Rototilling
07-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I started with a toro 21 and moved up to the better 36 when they first came out. I am still using the original better 36 machine everyday. This much I can tell you the better 36 is very light, mows well, stripes well, bags well and is very durable. The thing that I like the best about it is that I can mow all day on 1 tank of gas and it fits sideways on my trailer. I also only use gator blades on because the are so heavy duty. Hope this helps you!
So how well does it mulch compared to the Toro Super Recycler 21? Do you use the mulch plate? We have mainly K. Bluegrass up here. How big of a pain is the side bag? I've got an itchy trigger finger for this mower. Waiting for a few more clients to pile up to justify it.
:waving:

RM n WS
07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
I have never mulched. I either bagged or discharged with my toro. That is just my preference. You will not believe the difference bettween your 21 and the 36. I sold my 21 and never used another one. I think they are coming out with a 32 also that cost even less. I have the metal bagger and it is very simple to use. Have you seen the video? Gary the designer of the 36 is a super nice guy and is for real.

LindblomRJ
07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Around here I use a 21" and a 32" with the majority of the work done with the 32" The 3/4 acre is a pretty good guide line for mower up to 36."

I purchased my 32" Toro on Ebay for a really good price.