PDA

View Full Version : Was I deceived by Toro advertising?

MikeSp
07-05-2007, 09:08 PM
One of several selling features in the color brochure for the latest Z Master Commercial ZTRs is the "fully welded, fabricted deck shell..." in regard to the Toro top of the line Turbo Force decks. After purchasing the mower, I found it to be excellent in handling and mowing but that it leaked a little grass between the top of the deck and the vertical back sides due to a small gap. This led to the discovery, after I lifted the front end of the mower (using the FEL on my tractor) high enough to crawl underneath, that it was not "Fully Welded" but spot welded on the backside where the top is welded to the mower's back -- thus leaving a substantial area for wet grass to accumulate and eventually cause rust.

How should I have interpreted the advertising brochure that bragged about "Fully Welded" Turbo Force deck -- am I being too tough on Toro or should I have expected a completely welded deck as is found on the best decks for the eXmark and Scag (which I checked today)?? I would have checked the Hustler, but the dealer is not close.

Thoughts, opinions?

MikeSp

ALarsh
07-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Yours might be defective. It could have been a mistake on Toro's part.

newz7151
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Yours might be defective. It could have been a mistake on Toro's part.

Yeah, one guy might have spotted it on to hold it in place and another guy (who can lay a better bead) may have missed doing that deck.

MikeSp
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, one guy might have spotted it on to hold it in place and another guy (who can lay a better bead) may have missed doing that deck.

IF the guy missed my deck (which he apparently did since the fit between the top and the backside was not very tight) then he missed each one of the decks at my dealer -- I checked them ALL today and NONE of them were welded at the back other than spot welds and welds about one inch long just like mine -- thus I still must question what Toro means by "FULLY WELDED." IMHO, since this was a part of the information that I used to purchase the product, I now conclude that I was, indeed, misled.:mad:

MikeSp

thinksnow
07-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Make sure you have the turbo force deck. Some Toro's only came with the standart 7 guage deck, a step down from the turbo force. The advertising is not clear on what mower gets what deck. They lead you to believe they all have the turbo force.

MikeSp
07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Make sure you have the turbo force deck. Some Toro's only came with the standart 7 guage deck, a step down from the turbo force. The advertising is not clear on what mower gets what deck. They lead you to believe they all have the turbo force.

Good point -- but in this case, it is a Z589 which does have a Turbo Force deck.

MikeSp

fiveoboy01
07-07-2007, 12:59 PM
If it says fully welded, and it's only spot-welded at the rear, regardless of whether or not there's a gap, then I'm sorry Toro, but that's NOT fully welded.

I'd raise hell. You pay 8-10K for a machine, and they can't weld a ful bead along the rear of the deck? I guess that's not really the issue so much as it's advertised as a fully welded deck when it's not.

ALarsh
07-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I can check my deck for you the next time I have it up. I have approx 550 hours on mine now and no issues.

MikeSp
07-12-2007, 12:03 AM
After 5 emails to Toro Customer Service, they refused to either provide the requested definition of "Fully-Welded" nor escalate it up to somebody that could answer it after I asked them to do so, nor would the provide a corporate link where a definition could be found. In fact, they refused to even respond at all to my last polite email.

OTOH, I had my dealer contact the area rep and had him call me about a couple of things -- one being this definition that was troubling me. By Toro's definition, "Fully-Welded deck" means that it is welded and not bolted together similar to the description that Hustler uses for their Z1 frame in which they indicate that it is fully welded and is not bolted together. It would have helped had Toro mentioned the "not bolted together" in their brochure. Therefore, with the cooperation of the area rep for Toro, it was an easy and understandable and acceptable answer. Thus -- I was NOT misled about the "Fully-Welded deck" description in the advertising brochure.

There is still an issue of a 2-3 mm gap between the back skirt and the top of the deck which leaks grass and the rep is finding out what the factory specs are on that situation.

My ratings for Toro Customer Service during the first 12 hours of use of my Z Master Z589:

Dealer = 9 out of 10 :)
Area rep = 10 out of 10 (so far) :)
Online Customer Service = 1 out of 10 :mad:

MikeSp