PDA

View Full Version : Help! Some of my lawn died.

swstranger
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
My normally immaculately green lawn has taken a bad turn. I have several blotches of completely brown grass (pics below). I water regularly, probably overwater if anything.

A couple weeks ago I applied some Scotts Turf Builder plus Weed Control. I had previously applied the same weed control about 2 months ago. I think it says do it only twice per year, so maybe that's where I messed up? A couple days after application, I think my entire lawn had a slightly brownish look but it only lasted one day (except for the bad spots in the back) after I gave it a good watering....now some of my lawn is great, some far from great.

Anyways, what do I do now? I've been watering the dry spots extra, but they don't seem to be making much progress after a week. I have a sinking feeling that it will not come back. Any ideas? Thanks!
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/swstranger/DSC02197.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/swstranger/DSC02196.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/swstranger/DSC02198.jpg

milsaps118
07-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Hard to tell in the pics, but to me it looks like chemical burn. Even if you have an irrigation system and water on a regular basis, with the humid hot weather we had the last couple weeks you can still burn your lawn. More than likely that is what happened. Its hit or miss if it will come back, all depends on how bad and stressed out the bad areas are. Only time will tell. This hot weather isn't doing you any favors, thats for sure. I don't know your watering schedule but try this... set it for early AM like around 5AM, run each zone for about 20-30min or just the zones that are affected, water on an odd/even schedule, increase your mowing height to 3.75"-4.00" to create more shade for the turf, this will also help retain water longer and minimize drying. You should start seeing an improvement within 7-10 days, if not than you have the answer to your question. I strongly advise to not fertilize at the recommended rate in hot weather, if you do, make sure your using a "slow release" product and reduce the rate to half and make sure your lawn is around 3.5" or longer. Good luck...keep us posted and welcome to lawn site.:drinkup: :drinkup:

swstranger
07-05-2007, 10:29 PM
So it it does not come back, what is my plan to repair it?

milsaps118
07-06-2007, 12:57 AM
So it it does not come back, what is my plan to repair it?

Wait till late Aug. early Sept. and either core aerate and over-seed, or slit seed those areas. You can do both pretty much anytime but early Spring and early Fall are ideal for maximum results. Only problem is finding the right blend of grass mix to blend-in well with your established turf.

Lawn looks pretty good other than the brown areas, do you mow it yourself?What part of MN are you from?

swstranger
07-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm in Eden Prairie. I bought a Quick 36 mower this year and do it myself.

Thanks!

EJD Lawnpride
07-06-2007, 11:50 PM
It does look like a burn from chemical. Grass is pretty resilient. Keep it moist in the morning at late afternoon water if necessary. In fall double aerate and overseed.

swstranger
07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Well the grass is improving, but still has a long way to go. I think I can get a match on overseeding from the company that put in the lawn.

sheshovel
07-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Looks like you over applied chemicals and then they washed into that low spot when you watered them in. This caused that area to burn. That is my evaluation of what may have happened there.

milsaps118
07-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Well the grass is improving, but still has a long way to go. I think I can get a match on overseeding from the company that put in the lawn.

If it is showing signs of coming back you might catch a break this week being that it's only suppose to be in the upper 70's to low 80's. Keep watering light but do not over water, this will stress it out more. Once you get the turf re-established you can start your heavy watering schedule again. I assume that your lawn was seeded and not sodded, if you can get the same blend or close to it than you should be in good shape come fall time.

swstranger
07-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I was thinking of applying Milorganite soon. Good idea or bad?

PBinWA
07-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I did the same thing last year.

I would follow the advice you have been given and just ride it out. It should green up in the fall. Mine did as soon as it cooled off a bit.

I think I also let it get a little longer for a while too but I'm not a pro.

swstranger
07-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I did the same thing last year.

I would follow the advice you have been given and just ride it out. It should green up in the fall. Mine did as soon as it cooled off a bit.

I think I also let it get a little longer for a while too but I'm not a pro.

It has come back a lot just in the last day or so. I did increase my cutting height from 2.5" to 3".

I plan on applying Milorganite next week but I'm waiting for someone to tell me whether it's a good or terrible plan.

milsaps118
07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
It has come back a lot just in the last day or so. I did increase my cutting height from 2.5" to 3".

I plan on applying Milorganite next week but I'm waiting for someone to tell me whether it's a good or terrible plan.

Good to hear its coming back, I bet if you increased your height by another 1/2" it would come back a little faster. I wouldn't bother applying Milorganite, just another form of fertilizer is all it is, just organic. Your lawn is already stressed out from being fertilized and is making a come back, this might aggravate it more. Even though it only has 6% N and 2% P. Just let nature take its course and you should fine.

swstranger
08-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Well the lawn is pretty much back, thank God!!
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/swstranger/DSC02233.jpg

tbettis
08-09-2007, 11:10 PM
looks good