PDA

View Full Version : weed-eating the curb & driveway

J & M Lawn Care
07-05-2007, 08:33 PM
i have noticed alot of lawn care operaters weed-eating the curb and drive way instead of edging it, y is that. Is there a different look from the weed-eater or what. Just Wondering

Novaowner
07-05-2007, 08:42 PM
i have noticed alot of lawn care operaters weed-eating the curb and drive way instead of edging it, y is that. Is there a different look from the weed-eater or what. Just Wondering

I weed eat the curbs and driveway cause I haven't gotten an edger yet. If I take my time to trim the first time I mow a customers yard, I can go pretty quick with just the weedeater to trim it up subsuquent times. I don't think yards need edged every single time. Some on this website do though every time, I think it's just preference. I do trim with a weed eater every time though.

Woody82986
07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I use a trimmer to edge driveways and walkways. I am faster with a trimmer than with an edger and my edges are as close to perfect as an edger would make. It also allows me to angle the edge if a client requests I angle he edges any.

stevenf
07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I dont have an edger either. Ive noticed though that my trimmer with .105 string on it, actually does the edging. I cut it in the dirt if its bad, then trim it weeks after...

Grits
07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
A lot of times, I will use an edger then go back over it with a trimmer to make it look neater. When doing this, I am not edging with the trimmer, just trimming the grass like you normally would. I think it makes it look nicer. I don't do it all the time because it does take more time.

Greenery
07-05-2007, 10:56 PM
we trim along all drives and curbs everytime regardless if its been edged or not the mower seems to leave straglers along the edges. It just makes it look a little cleaner.

Allens LawnCare
07-06-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't stick edge everytime, I keep it clean and straight with a timmer...I've seen a lot of lawns backed 3-6inches off the driveway, walks, and street due to people stick edging it everytime. They keep cutting back and in my eyes it looks horrible

bluflame1914
07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
my uncle always uses a weedeater. he runs through it quicker than an edger. it stands the grass up nice though.

lawnpro724
07-06-2007, 12:28 AM
you only need to edge once a season, usually in spring and then use a trimmer to maintain the edge for the rest of the season.

ed2hess
07-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Save your money an edger is just another piece of hardware that takes up room on the trailer....get a Echo260T trimmer with .100 cord for the really difficult overgrowth.

HOOLIE
07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I've seen a lot of lawns backed 3-6inches off the driveway, walks, and street due to people stick edging it everytime. They keep cutting back and in my eyes it looks horrible

Uh....that's from using a trimmer...an edger has a fixed blade, little room for operator error...anytime you see a huge gap for an edge...it's from a trimmer.

Uranus
07-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I've only edged 2 customers in the 9 years of doing lawn care. One was a driveway that REALLY needed it, and the other was Milton Bradley/Hasbro. Both times were while I was working for someone else.

I have never had a customer ask for sidewalk or driveway edging. I dont egde with my string trimmer, but trim edges of driveways and sidewalk with the trimmer on the up cut of the line.