PDA

View Full Version : 50 more accounts!

realtree27
07-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Iam a solo operator with around 30 accounts...I have the oppurtunity to take 50 more accounts. I know I will have to hire help and I already have the equipment. Is that growing to fast or is it just great?

KTO Enterprises
07-05-2007, 10:41 PM
i would think you could handle 80 accounts solo.

acm8705
07-05-2007, 10:42 PM
80 accounts solo can be done. Having help will only mean that you won't be burned out all the time. With help I can get about 20-25 yards done in 8 hours. By myself I get about 13-15.

realtree27
07-05-2007, 10:52 PM
man 80 accounts is alot for one guy!! here where iam at the yards are pretty big!! lots of my yards are 1/2 acres.

realtree27
07-05-2007, 10:53 PM
oh ya plus when fall starts back up i have to go to college 2 days a week!!

aracad
07-05-2007, 11:01 PM
I am new to the biz and would love to know how to pick up more accounts quickly. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

swingset
07-06-2007, 01:20 AM
80 accounts will kill a solo where I'm at. 1 acre lots are the norm, and most have a bunch of trimming.

MeadowsLawnCare
07-06-2007, 01:49 AM
I dont see why if you can manage 30, you cant manage 50 more. Once you get up to more than a few accounts it just becomes the same thing to manage. I say go for it, and good luck! Depending on lot size you might want to find some help or you'll be working a lot :P

rodfather
07-06-2007, 06:19 AM
oh ya plus when fall starts back up i have to go to college 2 days a week!!

that should prove to be interesting...better have lots of reliable help

Mark in MD
07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
I did eighty once solo. But it was in 1983.

rodfather
07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I did eighty once solo. But it was in 1983.

and it was for one week only and then ya got smart Mark :laugh:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 04:52 PM
man 80 accounts is alot for one guy!! here where iam at the yards are pretty big!! lots of my yards are 1/2 acres.

Are these yards also fenced,that will require more trim time. 80 account is alot of yards for 1 guy ,it would require very little drive time i would think and minimal unloading of equipment. Good luck!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 04:53 PM
and it was for one week only and then ya got smart Mark :laugh:

Just like the rest of us Rod !:laugh:

prizeprop
07-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Eighty lawn cuts is one thing.Eighty fall cleanups is another.If it applies?

DixieChopper88
07-06-2007, 10:13 PM
How did you come into 50 additional accounts, i'm looking to build up as well seems you were in the right place at the right time or what?

Chilehead
07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I am solo w/50 accounts. They are in clusters all around town. Theoretically, if someone had a cluster-home community to manage with 80 houses, it wouldn't be that difficult to care for.

bohiaa
07-06-2007, 10:59 PM
easy guys, I'm solo and at times I can only get 2 to 3 done in a day....

simply because, Living in the country we have big lots. the largest is 10 acers

South Florida Lawns
07-06-2007, 11:05 PM
sounds like a good deal, growing too fast? I don't know. I would try to do as many yards in one day as possible. That way you can see how much you can handle. i can only do about 15 florida yards a day solo, thats an average of 30min a yard, before I pass out.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I am new to the biz and would love to know how to pick up more accounts quickly. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

You could have signs made professionally, business cards (mine are homemade on a program, they look just as professional as the next guy's), and flyers (use Microsoft Word). Go to any neighborhood, and start placing flyers in between doors (not mailbox!) and I bet you will pick up some additional customers. If you don't get any calls the first day, don't give up! Good luck my friend. If you have any questions send them my way. I'd be more than happy to help.

fiveoboy01
07-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Well 80 accounts, if you want to work 5 days a week, that's 16 per day.

If you do 6 days a week, that's just about 13 per day.

Doable if they're smaller sized and the route is snug.

DoetschOutdoor
07-07-2007, 01:03 AM
That is alot of accounts any way you look at it and you will prolly get burned out once school starts. NO way could you do 80 accounts by yourself and go to school unless you do not get tired. I have about 40 accounts and was taking 15 hours at a university and it kinda gets overwhelming. Imagine cutting 15 yards a day and then having to go home and study, do homework and then get up and go to class the next day. It will affect your grades unless you have a bulletproof plan and stick to that. My hat goes off to guys that are solo and do 15 yards a day every day. I am fine for 1-3 days of that but after that it gets tiring. If I got that many accounts, I would find 1 reliable guy, upgrade any needed equipment, and make a solid plan of action. 80 accounts is going to take you into a much higher income level. Hire someone to trim and blow at $10/hr, you take it easy and ride all day and watch your bank account grow! Good luck in whatever decision you make

rodfather
07-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Well 80 accounts, if you want to work 5 days a week, that's 16 per day.

If you do 6 days a week, that's just about 13 per day.

Doable if they're smaller sized and the route is snug.

how bout if it rains, what then?

bohiaa
07-07-2007, 08:21 AM
That is alot of accounts any way you look at it and you will prolly get burned out once school starts. NO way could you do 80 accounts by yourself and go to school unless you do not get tired. I have about 40 accounts and was taking 15 hours at a university and it kinda gets overwhelming. Imagine cutting 15 yards a day and then having to go home and study, do homework and then get up and go to class the next day. It will affect your grades unless you have a bulletproof plan and stick to that. My hat goes off to guys that are solo and do 15 yards a day every day. I am fine for 1-3 days of that but after that it gets tiring. If I got that many accounts, I would find 1 reliable guy, upgrade any needed equipment, and make a solid plan of action. 80 accounts is going to take you into a much higher income level. Hire someone to trim and blow at $10/hr, you take it easy and ride all day and watch your bank account grow! Good luck in whatever decision you make

What he said, also remember there WILL be rain out's and equiptment failure

fiveoboy01
07-07-2007, 10:14 AM
how bout if it rains, what then?

I guess I should have added that's if everything goes smooth all the time, which it never does.

He's asking if it can be done, I say yes, but he's going to be busting his rear hard and it's going to wear him out.

sildoc
07-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I say go for it. Look for a good employee for half time and have a back up that you can call in case of rain or other failure. Like said before the only difference between 30 accounts and 80 accounts is the work involved and not the management/business aspect. The size of accounts will dictate whether you need an employee full time.
I have 59 full service accounts at this point and one employee that I keep busy 2-3 days a week and then all the time in fall and spring. For me to pick up 50 average accounts I would need 1 other full time guy. but that 50 would average about 80-100k extra a year gross.
Logistics is key and if they are close together then you are set.
Good Luck.

aracad
07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Lohse's,

I have had signs made 125 of them. Only about 35 hanging at this point.
I have passed out approx 1200 flyers and they have been placed on the doors with a wkly bid for mowing/Trimming etc.. I have also placed an ad in a local paper. We have had some response from the flyers mainly, but little from the paper and/or signs. Fortunately we included other services on the flyer such as yard cleanup, gutter cleaning/repair, mulching, tree trimming etc.. We are just starting out.. we have yet to sign a contract for mowing, but I am getting yard cleanup and gutter cleaning jobs. I am being patient, but any ideas to speed things along would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
JK

ed2hess
07-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Put out some special personal handouts to do stuff like bed weeding and bush trimming...stuff most guy don't like to do.....put on you handout..."lost job need work"

aracad
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
have you tried the lost job need work approach? How well do you think it will work? Does this make peope feel uneasy like your not good at what your attempting to do?

ed2hess
07-07-2007, 06:59 PM
have you tried the lost job need work approach? How well do you think it will work? Does this make peope feel uneasy like your not good at what your attempting to do?

I would not worry about that.....grass mowing and the related work isn't exactly a high skill job and many people look for a good deal and if you do good work they will sign you on. Young kids put out flyer's indicating they are just trying to make a little extra money for school...and I see them working in my neighborhood.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Lohse's,

I have had signs made 125 of them. Only about 35 hanging at this point.
I have passed out approx 1200 flyers and they have been placed on the doors with a wkly bid for mowing/Trimming etc.. I have also placed an ad in a local paper. We have had some response from the flyers mainly, but little from the paper and/or signs. Fortunately we included other services on the flyer such as yard cleanup, gutter cleaning/repair, mulching, tree trimming etc.. We are just starting out.. we have yet to sign a contract for mowing, but I am getting yard cleanup and gutter cleaning jobs. I am being patient, but any ideas to speed things along would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
JK

I'd say you are off to a good start. One question though, how long have you been putting out flyers/signs/ads etc.? That's great that you are gaining yard cleanup/gutter cleaning jobs. I have probably already said this, but most people will agree that word-of-mouth will get you a lot of customers. You keep doing quality work and your name will get passed around. This sounds so familiar, but I've written the last two sentences on several threads. I may have already told you. I'd like to know how long you have been advertising for. That would give me an idea of about where you should be and I sense you are anxious for more work, which is great. Keep up the good attitude. Be respectful to every customer, whether potential or regular, and that will take you a long way.

realtree27
07-08-2007, 04:34 PM
the way i came into 50 accounts was just knowing the right person at the right time!! i know a guy that has 7 lawn crews and he called me up wanting to get rid of some yards because u is slammed!