PDA

View Full Version : Pole Saw - Telescope or Fixed - Stihl vs Echo vs Husqvara

IHusky
07-05-2007, 11:31 PM
I need a new pole saw. Which one, telescoping or Fixed. Was thinking Echo or Stilh or Husqvara. I had a John Deere ( PS2683LE). I would think that the telescoping would get a little heavy, but should I get a telescoping one for longer reach and deal with the xtra weight????? Or get a fixed shaft and not be as tired after using???? Looking to stay around $500. Opinions please.:dizzy::dizzy: :hammerhead::cry:

DuraCutter
07-06-2007, 12:03 AM
I need a new pole saw. Which one, telescoping or Fixed. Was thinking Echo or Stilh or Husqvara. I had a John Deere ( PS2683LE). I would think that the telescoping would get a little heavy, but should I get a telescoping one for longer reach and deal with the xtra weight????? Or get a fixed shaft and not be as tired after using???? Looking to stay around $500. Opinions please.:dizzy::dizzy: :hammerhead::cry:

I just bought the Stilh pole that goes out to 16' I believe. I also bought the harness that you wear that will let you balance the pole saw without torquing your back out.

I do love the 4stroke motor from Stilh. It sounds like a small motorcyle with a deeper rumble than the other 2 stroke machines.

It starts nice, has good torque and with the harness, I was pruning 16' up with no problem. Remember to wear full helmet protection with face shield and kevlar pants for protection!!

:)

NMS0219
07-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Buy a husky you will love it. I have 2 of the telescoping model. No problems after 2 years.

saw man
07-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Well, Husky doesnt have a telescpoing model but... Buy what will work for you most of the time. The teloscoping models get heavy, I think, for the most part. It really depends on what you do most!

IHusky
07-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Thats what I thought, Husky does not make a telescoping model...they have the one that is in two pieces and you join them together, like my old Deere. NMS0219, is that the one you have. I think I will get a one piece that does not telescope, don't want he added weight.

ed2hess
07-06-2007, 06:30 PM
We got the biggest longest Echo and man that is the best tool we ever bought. We had a major tree job over the winter where we had to trim up 85 trees on a homeowners association common property. All branches were cut from the ground....many were around 4to 5" in dia.....We ran a 12" and 6" chipper and one cut guy kept them going.

lawncare18
07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Huscy ... they are the way to go.... we use them on the golf course ... can not beat them... we use all huscy now!!!!

IHusky
07-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I went with the Echo PPF 210 fixed shaft for $410 out the door, I think this was exactly what I am looking for, not to heavy and the price was right. I just think the telescoping ones would have gotten to heavy for me and I don't really do that much tree work. Thanks for all that replied.

RM n WS
07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I have a stihl telescoping pole saw. Great tool. I would never buy one that didn't extend. You can reach in and cut or reach up and cut much more safely. Mine has lasted 3 years with no repairs needed.

ed2hess
07-06-2007, 08:31 PM
I went with the Echo PPF 210 fixed shaft for $410 out the door, I think this was exactly what I am looking for, not to heavy and the price was right. I just think the telescoping ones would have gotten to heavy for me and I don't really do that much tree work. Thanks for all that replied.

With the harness there isn't much weight....you hold it up straight until you get to the tree than put the chain tip on the limb.....I am 64 and did three three trees last year....no big deal.

Scagguy
07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
I just bought the Stilh pole that goes out to 16' I believe. I also bought the harness that you wear that will let you balance the pole saw without torquing your back out.

I do love the 4stroke motor from Stilh. It sounds like a small motorcyle with a deeper rumble than the other 2 stroke machines.

It starts nice, has good torque and with the harness, I was pruning 16' up with no problem. Remember to wear full helmet protection with face shield and kevlar pants for protection!!

Actually, it's 14". I measured it at my dealers the other day. Picking it up tomorow. Been needing a new pole saw for some time and just sold a nice tree trimming job this evening which will pay for it and then some.

DuraCutter
07-06-2007, 11:55 PM
With the harness there isn't much weight....you hold it up straight until you get to the tree than put the chain tip on the limb.....I am 64 and did three three trees last year....no big deal.

That's what I pointed out in my post...;)

If you're serious and even do one job, the telescoping is the "only" way to go for reach and safety.

The harness relieves most of the stress.

Advice is free but sometimes doesn't seem to reach it's intended target!!

Potchkins
07-07-2007, 03:34 AM
the "full helmet protection with face shield" i agree with...
but "kevlar pants"? ... why do you need kevlar pants with a pole saw?

2 clowns mowing
07-07-2007, 06:42 AM
i love my john deere pole saw plenty of power and easy to start

Guzman Properties
07-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I just purchased a Shindaiwa pole attachment with the P231 motor. with that I also purchased the articulated hedge trimmer. Did two jobs and it paid itself off. Great machine, one motor, two interchangable heads plus many other attachments as well.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/products/arthedgetrims/index.php

DuraCutter
07-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Actually, it's 14". I measured it at my dealers the other day. Picking it up tomorow. Been needing a new pole saw for some time and just sold a nice tree trimming job this evening which will pay for it and then some.

I don't think you'll regret the purchase. It's probably 14', I didn't check. I'm just happy with the way it cuts, the way it sounds is a bonus and it's got good torque. I love the harness, very convenient. It's also great to trim lower brances in spruce. No need to get all bloodied going in by hand when you can just reach in from 8' away. :)

Let us know how you like it.

DuraCutter
07-08-2007, 12:52 AM
the "full helmet protection with face shield" i agree with...
but "kevlar pants"? ... why do you need kevlar pants with a pole saw?

I know, it's not like a chainsaw that is close to your legs, but with Workers comp, it's better to be safe than sorry. They'll use any excuse to nail you to the cross, so with me and my guys we'll always play it safe.

I was told that with any power saw of any type, the kevlar pants are a must and only the ones approved by WCB.

Scagguy
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I picked up it up yesterday and was impressed by the power it has. Made short work of a job that I had thought would take longer. According to the manual it looks like it's supposed to come with two harnesses but it has just the strap that you attach to the pole and then put it around your shoulder.

Stillwater
07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
face shield and hard hat are a absolute must, don't get the bar pinched in a limb or you might have to go buy another one to get it out

J&R Landscaping
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
I rented one for a few jobs last season, one stihl and one echo. I liked the echo better. What ever brand you go, IMO, I would always get the telescoping shaft because there's always gonna be that 1 job that you need the extra distance for. Have the ability to expand is great and I'm sure once I buy one I'll run into many jobs where even fully expanded lenght will still be a bit short.