PDA

View Full Version : bought another mower 07 Ferris is1500z

Ramairfreak98ss
07-06-2007, 01:00 AM
I was originally going to get the 44"/19hp but although this will be a backyard/through the fences small machine, the 44" just seemed small to the point that id ONLY use it on small areas and in back yards in developments and such. the 4" isnt that much difference but at least it seems like a normal deck.

I got the 48" Deck and 21hp motor, the kawasaki was the only thing offered on it.

Ferris has a deal now for 0% for 36mo. on all is500z entry level 8mph/44"/24hp briggs model and is1500z with 10mph/44-48-52"/19-21-23hp models.

Should be in sometime next week. Itll be nice having a smaller machine than my 61" deck and so next spring i can get a 3100z with the 72" deck & 32hp briggs vangaurd. http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=22

DJL50
07-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Looks like a good unit. How much are they selling for?

rodfather
07-06-2007, 06:13 AM
so next spring i can get a 3100z with the 72" deck & 32hp briggs vangaurd. http://www.ferrisindustries.com/pages/mower.php?product_id=22

You'll love that machine. We got one this past Spring. Good luck with the 48 too.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Looks like a good unit. How much are they selling for?

$6,199 i think, dont have my paperwork for it.. yet :) Im getting the striping kit so that may add a hair.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-15-2007, 02:24 AM
heres some pictures :)

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559883053PXsMUg?vhost=home-and-garden&start=24
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/5026/2541570400036233031S600x600Q85.jpg

craglawnmanor
07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Mower looks very nice!! Nice group of pics in your album.

How well does the deck height adjustment work?
Please keep us informed with how the 1500z performs. It's on my short list for a new ztr next season. :)

South Florida Lawns
07-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Nice mower, but they used a small back wheel/tire on there looks weird to me. However I don't think that really makes a difference. How do you like the suspension?

PBinWA
07-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Looks good!

Here's it's cousin, I just got it two weeks ago - I bet they shared the assembly line together.

I have the mulch kit and put gator blades on it but I've been getting some thin lines. I'm putting the stock blades back on today and will see how that goes.

As I posted previously, I found it a little light in the front end but that may just be because I'm NOT light in the backend!:laugh:

Ramairfreak98ss
07-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice mower, but they used a small back wheel/tire on there looks weird to me. However I don't think that really makes a difference. How do you like the suspension?

Yeah looking at the guys picture below your post, his sidewall thickness does look larger. My 1000z sidewall is similar to the is1500z though so its not any smaller in person. Ill get my tire size dimensions and post them up here.

Suspension is nice, its different on a "little" machine, since my 1000z feels huge/wide compared to this "go cart" but the suspension helps some with the bumps, i definitely can go faster over the bumps where the 1000z's back wheels would go right into a big hole and almost throw me off the machine. Its not a "Cadillac" ride in any means but yeah it works.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Looks good!

Here's it's cousin, I just got it two weeks ago - I bet they shared the assembly line together.

I have the mulch kit and put gator blades on it but I've been getting some thin lines. I'm putting the stock blades back on today and will see how that goes.

As I posted previously, I found it a little light in the front end but that may just be because I'm NOT light in the backend!:laugh:

South florida, i probably have my tire picture posted up on webshots, but its a Carlisle 22x11.00-10" Tire.

PBinWA, is your tire the same? Yours does look a little different in your picture, could be the angle.

I have the same mulch kit on my 1000z 61" deck, and yeah it leaves lines, if the lawns are thick at ALL, i have to go back with the backpack blower and blow out every line the mower made :(, but there is no grass left over then visible.

I ran your same setup on my 1000z too, first went to gator blades, helped chop up the grass discharging, then added the mulch kit and it made a big mess, kept it chopping too much and hurt performance/fuel too. Id use high lift blades only with the mulching kit and gators side discharging if you can.

Does your 1500z mulch kit have the discharge chute baffle AND blockoff plate? Try Taking that on and off a few times a day, my 1000z has no end baffle now, because it takes 10+ minutes to remove and reinstall it and its a real SOB, so i just throw on the block off plate but i get bigger lines in the lawns when done because of this. Yet with the baffle, it would leave a small line anyway so doesnt matter to me how much grass i blow around, if i have to do it i have to do it anyway.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-15-2007, 04:40 PM

Im 5'11" and 168~lbs, but i think its light in the front too, my 1000z feels a lot more front heavy, but i think the 1500 feels MUCH more nimble while turning and such. My 1000z tends to break the rear drive wheels loose a lot whereas the 1500z spins that sucker around like its on a dime and theres no weight on the fornt wheels.

Id say both my 1500z and 1000z non suspension are about 1000lbs in weight.

The 1500z probably is 850/150 split and my 1000z is probably 750/250 split, makes a huge difference for traction and handling while in a fast turn, im talking about while in a zero turn or close to it.

Craglawnmower, the deck hight took me 20 seconds to look at and firgure out, since each hole isnt marked individually like my 1000z, but its simple, the little pin just lifts out and falls back in a hole, push down on the petal and flip the one small lever to the right next to the adjustment holes, and down it goes, easy.

To put it up just push the pedal back down fully and let go and its locked. again, being just under 6ft, and driving on my 1000z's back most seat position, im buff, but i dont have the leg/foot strength to really push down the petal on my 1000z, it needs close to 200-250lbs of force on it to lift the deck and lock it in its upmost position. If i re-grease everything again, it can be a little easier to lift, like in the 175lb force area. But load up the deck with heavy grass on top and underneath and its nearly impossible to lift.

The 1500z and all 06+ Ferris deck lift pedal systems kick major a$$, when i sat on a 3100z at the dealer with a 72" deck, and lifted it up like nothing i almost sh1t a brick!

I have to move my 1000z seat all the way forward every time i lift up my mower on my 61" 1000z

PBinWA
07-15-2007, 05:07 PM
I just checked my tires and they are the same as yours. I think it's just the different camera perspective.

Yup - the mulch kit includes the baffles and the plug. It would be a huge hassle to take it on and off frequently. The picture on the Ferris site (below) shows the kit but my deck is a 52" so there is one more baffle.

I'm thinking the baffles will be coming off and the plug will be used when needed. I can't see it making that much difference.

The big advantage I have over you is that I am just johnny homeowner - I can live with some crud on my lawn - I'm not that picky! :laugh: But I do like to try and get the best cut possible.

A friend of mine that used to have a lawn service said he thought it took around 200 hours for the Ferris suspension to "loosen up" and get really smooth. It's pretty good now but if it gets better I won't be complaining.

beano
07-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Looks good! Ive had my 48/21 for 3 years now and love it. Ive learned though to not put gator blades on it if the grass is any length other than short. It clumps up and your yard will look like a hay field. Also its a pain in the a$$ to change the oil so make sure you get a smaller tube to stick in the drain tube. Congrats!

PBinWA
07-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Gators are off but baffles are still on - now I just need two more days for a good test.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I just checked my tires and they are the same as yours. I think it's just the different camera perspective.

Yup - the mulch kit includes the baffles and the plug. It would be a huge hassle to take it on and off frequently. The picture on the Ferris site (below) shows the kit but my deck is a 52" so there is one more baffle.

I'm thinking the baffles will be coming off and the plug will be used when needed. I can't see it making that much difference.

The big advantage I have over you is that I am just johnny homeowner - I can live with some crud on my lawn - I'm not that picky! :laugh: But I do like to try and get the best cut possible.

A friend of mine that used to have a lawn service said he thought it took around 200 hours for the Ferris suspension to "loosen up" and get really smooth. It's pretty good now but if it gets better I won't be complaining.

yeah i hope so... My 61" deck baffles are small V shaped things, and they dont hang down to "enclose each" blade, they just keep some of the grass at the top of the deck swirling i guess. The end most baffle is similar to whats in your picture there, and that is the part that i took off, so i can pop the end block off on/off when needed. Mine still "mulches" but all three blades can easily discharge grass, ill get a picture of it soon.

PBinWA
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Cut quality is much better without the Gator blades and there are fewer clumps being laid down on the turns.

There are still a few stripes left in thick grass when mowing fast but that can be expected.

I have to learn to slow down on this thing! ;)