PDA

View Full Version : starting out

atlwteboy240
07-06-2007, 02:30 AM
so i just got a old sw52-13k scar walkbehind belt drive, ive already rebuilt the carb adn pulled, cleaned and replaced the spark plug. is there anyother info anyone can give me to get this thing running??

also if anyone has anyother tips for good buisness it would be really apresheated..

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Whats an SW ? Does the motor have compression ?

echeandia
07-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Are you getting spark? Depending on the type/age of ignition you may need a condenser and points.

atlwteboy240
07-07-2007, 12:13 PM
i got it running!! after i took apart the carb and soaked it in cleaner, i rebuilt it and put it back on.. cleaned the plug and put a little bit of gas in the plug hole and reinstalled the plug. it fired up the first try.

not batd for somthing that has been sitting for 11 months.

it only ran a few seconds because the fuel filter is cloged so i went and bough new fuel lines and filter put them on and pulled 3 times without the plug just to get the gas circulating, put it back in and it fired up on the first time..

rudeboy
07-08-2007, 07:16 AM
good job glad you got it going

atlwteboy240
07-08-2007, 01:36 PM
ok well now i cant keep it running.. i can put a little bit of gas in the cylnder and it will fire right up.. but it wont stay running.. i dont understand.. any sugestions??? ill post some pics of it..

of course ive cleaned it up a little bit since i took these pics..

EMJ
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Check the fuel pump??? You may need to reclean the carb.

ExecutiveLawns
07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Yea i would check your fuel pump

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Fuel pump would be a good start (if it even has a fuel pump, from the pics it just looks gravity feed but can't be 100% sure from the pics) but the carb could still be the problem. We go through it everyday, take a carb off spend 30 minutes rebuilding and reinstalling it just to find out you can't bring that carb back to life. You'll probably have to spend $50-150 for a NEW carb.

atlwteboy240
07-09-2007, 12:58 AM
no it dosent have a fuel pump.. could i add one on? well wen i cleaned the carb i couldnt get the jet out.. so that didnt get cleaned could it just be cloged??

do you still have that blower for sale? and how much.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
07-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Then thats likely your problem. Sounds like you'll have to have a new carb. Check out J-thomas.com for the price. Yes I still got the blower for sale, I asking $200. I paid $300 plus tax for it less then a year ago.

Texas Aggie
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Are you sure you rebuilt the carb correctly? Sometimes even the smallest detail can keep it from starting. This spring, I tore off a carb from a Toro (B&S) and when I put it back, I put the needle seat (a rubber piece) back on incorrectly. It wouldn't start. When I put it on correctly (and I didn't know which way was correct except for a forum post), it fired right up.

Guzman Properties
07-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Clean out the gas tank. If there is no fuel pump and it is gravity fed, the fuel valve may be clogged up and not letting the fuel in. If it has been sitting for 11 months, get rid of the gas as well. Clean out the entire fuel system starting from the fuel tank to the carb.

atlwteboy240
07-09-2007, 03:59 PM
i already put in new gas and i know its not clogged, if i pull the gas line off the carb with out turning the gas off it flows like crazy so i now that part is good..

so if i put the needle thats closed by the float rong could that be a proublem??

atlwteboy240
07-09-2007, 04:07 PM
when i click on the link for my engine at j-thomas the said it cant find the web site. anyone else know another place toget a real cheap new or brbuilt one???

and i have a FB460 kawasaki engine.
on a scag52"beltdrive walk behind..

Guzman Properties
07-09-2007, 04:12 PM
I had the same problem last month, i went crazy looking for the problem until I looked in the tank and saw some string got stuck in the valve and wasn't letting all the fuel thru. Fuel was still flowing with the clog, but not flowing enough for the motor to run. Once I cleaned out the clog, the motor ran great.

atlwteboy240
07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
ok well ill ahve to recheck that..

i talked to a guy i used to do lawn care with and he has the newer scag walkbehind. its still belt driven and has the same kawasaki engine. and he had the place he baught it work on it, they said they would clean the carb and replace some little stuff and it would only be about $90, but when we picked it up they said the put on a new carb and the bill was only 140 does that sound right for them puting on a new carb??

KTO Enterprises
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Possibly if they had a mower that they were scavenging parts off of.

atlwteboy240
07-09-2007, 05:07 PM
oh ok.. i tryed to call them but they are closed on mondays any other sugestions on a web site that sells cheap carbs?? im really mechanicly inclined so i know i can do it my self if i get the parts..

Gatewayuser
07-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Please check your spelling its driving me up a wall. lol

Maybe try spraying some carb. cleaner into the intake while starting the engine. You already did that I bet???