PDA

View Full Version : New House- New Sod, Help needed

cm4tt
07-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Hello,

I just found this site and I'm hoping there is some people that could help me.

I just bought a new house, and hired someone to do the landscaping for the front and back yards.

The backyards sod was laid 1 week ago, and I just came home from working out of town for 3 days to find that, in 3 out of 4 corners of my yard, the grass is tan/brown.

We have had a hot week, with temperatures reaching 30 celcius (86 fahrenheit) and I am wondering if maybe my sprinklers didnt water those corners enough.

I have been watering mostly at night, and had someone turn the sprinklers on while I was away for work.

I am just wondering if the sod is dead, or if there is a chance that it could come back with enough watering.

I will try and get a picture of the affected area's.

firefightergw
07-06-2007, 02:21 AM
More than likely it will be OK. However, I would start watering each morning instead of at night. With the high temperatures that you are saying that you are having, morning watering will keep the roots cooler during the day. Watering at night invites disease and fungus since the roots stay wetter for a longer period of time. Once you can grab the turf, pull on it and it stays down (roots are grown into existing soil) you can cut back on watering to about two times per week. It should be fine.

Bill S
07-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Assuming you have a rye/fescue/blue grass mix...

With temps in the mid to upper 80's watering 2 to 3 times a day may not be unheard of...

It will take thorough waterings to penetrate the thatch layer. Keep those sprinklers running!

Most newly sodded lawns suffer some initial heat stress when installed. Most come back.

Try and get some pictures up and we can help you a little more.

sheshovel
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
You should run your sprinklers and observe if they are giving the sod a full coverage. You do need to water new sod more than once a day. Also, neighbors are not very dependable waterers.