PDA

View Full Version : Am I overreacting?

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 02:30 AM
I've got a question. I just had my emark lazer worked on because I got the drive belt in a bind and the electrical line to the PTO was cut. The dealer called me and I went to pick it up. I noticed that the bottom of the mower was dripping wet. I reached under the deck and there was about 3 inches thick of built up grass. I looked around at their facility and apparently they used my mower to mow their lawn. The lawn is about 5000 sf. I asked if they would clean the deck since they used my mower to mow their lawn and they got offended saying they had to check the PTO. I pointed out you dont need to cut the lawn to check the PTO just turn it on, not to mention do you need to cut 5000 sf. to see if the PTO works. AM I OVERREACTING?

bigbone
07-06-2007, 02:33 AM
I don't think that they need your mower to mow their lawn, do they?

BobcatZT
07-06-2007, 02:45 AM
We had a local welder fix a bent deck on one of our bobcats. When we went to pick it up, he cut his grass with our mower. We didn't really care much. His place was around 4000 square feet. Could of been 9000 square feet or 9 square feet. But hey, it's your mower, if you don't like what they did......don't take it back to them anymore.

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 02:49 AM
A bent deck you might need to see if the cutting level is off o not.

02DURAMAX
07-06-2007, 03:44 AM
I would be pissed off too!!!

MeadowsLawnCare
07-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Tell them to clean it and fill the gas back up to what it was. If they ***** just say that will be the last time you will require their services and leave.

Bunton Guy
07-06-2007, 06:43 AM
No biggie to me....your mower is on their property as I see it. They didn't beg you to bring your mower over to their shop to be fixed.

Whether its 4K sq. feet or 4 acres....these mowers are built for MOWING!! 4K square feet isn't going to hurt your mower & im sure your mower gets a little more grass built on it from doing your weekly lawns then on their little piece of the pie.

Tharrell
07-06-2007, 07:17 AM
It's done all the time at mower shops. Why would they need their own mower when yours or someones is usually available?

carcrz
07-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I don't see a problem with it. What if they noticed something else wrong while they were mowing w/ it that you may not have noticed? Wouldn't you want to know about it or would you rather they just left it alone?

robbo521
07-06-2007, 08:16 AM
and i bet they even used your gas to.i would never go back there.

Lawnut101
07-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I'd rather have them ask me first. If they did I'd let them. If not I'd tell them to ask first and top off the fuel! It prolly only took 10 min. to mow their lawn.

captken
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I've got a question. AM I OVERREACTING?

yes.......

Bagit
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I've got a question. I just had my emark lazer worked on because I got the drive belt in a bind and the electrical line to the PTO was cut. The dealer called me and I went to pick it up. I noticed that the bottom of the mower was dripping wet. I reached under the deck and there was about 3 inches thick of built up grass. I looked around at their facility and apparently they used my mower to mow their lawn. The lawn is about 5000 sf. I asked if they would clean the deck since they used my mower to mow their lawn and they got offended saying they had to check the PTO. I pointed out you dont need to cut the lawn to check the PTO just turn it on, not to mention do you need to cut 5000 sf. to see if the PTO works. AM I OVERREACTING? Nothing wrong w/making sure the pto was working properly. They should have cleaned it up though. Everybody makes mistakes.

TXNSLighting
07-06-2007, 08:51 AM
not really bad, bud they should definately clean it and fill it. id be pissed if they didnt do that.

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Let me be more specific. I have the mulching kit on my mower so wet grass gets built up fast. They used a power washer with the mower up on a lift to clean it. My point was I did not want to get to my first lawn and have to clean the deck(which would take more time since I dont carry a lift and a power washer with me). Lets get back to what I first said. I know they have to check the PTO but you dont need to cut grass to do that much less 5000 sf to find out if the PTO works.

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Example--- Your car is having a new starter put on it. You go to pick it up at the mechanics shop. You ask where is your car. The mechanic says, oh I sent one of my guys to go pick us up some lunch he should be back in a little bit. Your response is why are you using my car. The mechanic says well we needed to see if the starter works.

See my point. This is wrong.

johnnywill08
07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
if you like their work, i'd let it go. plenty of other stuff in this biz to get worked up over. small potatoes, just seems bigger cuz it sounds sneaky- dont sweat it.

Frontier-Lawn
07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
if they were going to http://www.mysmilie.de/midi-smileys/haushalt_arbeit/2/0037.gif with it atleast wast the dang thing

inHaliburton
07-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Get them to sharpen the blades, too.

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Johnnywill08-- I see your point but I was not really mad because I like these guys I could not believe they got mad at me for asking and their excuse was they needed to check something. That did not require cutting grass to do so.

SpruceLandscape
07-06-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree, they did not need to cut the whole place to see if your PTO works. Not that them cutting the place would upset me as much as them not cleaning it up afterwards. However... my concern with this is the fact that they cut the whole place and what kind of liability are they going to take if they say hit something with your mower and bent/broke a blade, or even a spindle?? would they have told you that they did it and would take care of it, or would they have just said it was a good thing we checked it out because it was already broke? I know its a hypothetical question, but if they couldn't even be corteous enough to wash the deck after they used it... Just makes me leary, thats all.

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Good Point Spruce.

Vikings
07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Well you can't cut part of your lawn but the Gas my God! that's 39 maybe 40 cents. Should have cleaned it even though I never seem to clean mine.

Juan_Deere
07-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Checking a PTO problem can involve more than just turning it on and off. I bet you would have been really pissed, if the PTO came on then cut off after a few minutes of mowing at a jobsite. Then you would be cursing them for not properly checking the PTO while it was in their possesion. Especially considering they had just worked on it.

Think about it. Things are not always as they seem. If you didn't personally see them mow the entire lot with your mower, they may have simply mowed one or two strips with it and you might be making a false accuation. You already claimed the mulched grass builds up fast. Then after having a mowed strip or two for your op check, they may have decided to bust out their own mower and finish the job.

I will agree they should have cleaned it though. At least if it arrived to them clean.

themowerman
07-06-2007, 03:23 PM
I will do the same thing but would wash it off when done. You said that the BTO belt had a problem and cut the clutch wire.....I would repair the unit and run it for a little while to see if I could duplicate the failure. I would hate to give you the machine back and have it fail on you again. I have had electrical issues that require the machine run a while before it failed......

Bigray
07-06-2007, 04:02 PM
this is NBD , testing the fix, and / or other...
be happy you have a working mower again

Bigray
07-06-2007, 04:08 PM
this is NBD , testing the fix, and / or other...
be happy you have a working mower again

Mr Priceless
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
theyatesies, which dealer did this happen at?

ed2hess
07-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Let me be more specific. I have the mulching kit on my mower so wet grass gets built up fast. They used a power washer with the mower up on a lift to clean it. My point was I did not want to get to my first lawn and have to clean the deck(which would take more time since I dont carry a lift and a power washer with me). Lets get back to what I first said. I know they have to check the PTO but you dont need to cut grass to do that much less 5000 sf to find out if the PTO works.
Well you probably burnt that bridge with the dealer.....way way overreacted! You clean your deck .....don't know why I cut all week in the rain, if I cleaned it, it would be back packed full in next 5 minutes.

DFW Area Landscaper
07-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Didn't read all the posts on this thread, just your initial question. Heck yes, I think you are COMPLETELY over reacting.

That mower is designed to cut, what???TENS OF THOUSANDS if not hundreds of thousands of lawns that size in it's life expectancy. Do you clean the deck every time you mow a lawn? Why would you ask them to?

I bet those guys are thinking you are looking for anything to complaint about. It's just not a good way to continue the relationship. If you stay in business, you will probably need that dealer more than he needs you. What if got irritated enough to refuse your future business?

My recommendation: call that dealer and apologize for making a mountain out of a mole hill. No big deal. Just tell him you thought about it and you were in a bad mood when you carried on about this...he'll respect you for it.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

walker/redmax
07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
If I were an equipment dealer, I would never do something like that without asking. Personally I think that it is poor business to do so. If they had asked you, I would see nothing wrong. And the fact that they got upset when you asked them to clean it is even worse because if they are going to do something like that in the first place, the least they could do would be to clean it and top it off. I would not be terribly upset about them doing this but I would let them know what I thought about it. I have always been taught that if you are going to barrow something that is not yours, you ask first and then return it in the same condition you received it, if not better. Just my $.02

LindblomRJ
07-06-2007, 07:56 PM
I can understand testing the mower. However its very poor form to not clean up the mower. IMO you would be justified to find another dealer if they were offended by the simple fact they could not clean up after themselves. If a auto mechanic left the interior of your pickup in deplorable condition and they didn't clean up after themselves how is this any different?

HenryB
07-06-2007, 09:23 PM
NOT A BIG DEAL AT ALL! THESE POSTS SOUND INSANE TO ME! It'a mower shop and that area took prolly 5 minutes to cut. Testing the mower, the grass was high. Whatever. Washing and waxing the mower might be overkill. Not worth getting upset about.

MOturkey
07-06-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm with HenryB. Did you ever look at the crap people bring into the mower shop to be worked on? I'm sure the mechanics get tired of all the mud and dog crap they have to scrape off, but it goes with the territory.

Every reputable mechanic test drives an automobile after repairs, so cutting 5,000 sq. feet of grass is equivalent to what, 4 or 5 miles on the road? Have you ever had an automobile repair shop offer to top off your tank after they test drive your auto? Geez. Give me a break.

ACA L&L
07-06-2007, 10:41 PM
That aint sh%t. A fella i used to work for a about ten years ago took one of the plow trucks in during a storm to have the pump fixed. They fixed it, the next mornin when i went to pick it up there entire lot was plowed, as well as both of their neighbors!! Boss could care less he was makin thousands everytime it would snow. I was plowin 16 hours a day for what seemed like a month straight. two trucks runnin 24 hrs a day. now that is som serious lettuce.

South Florida Lawns
07-06-2007, 11:00 PM
man that place sounds unprofessional.

cantoo
07-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Every good repair man tests his work to make sure everything is is good working order. Just ask your wife if her Gynecologist tests her equipment out. I would be more mad if they didn't test it out.

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Hey for one thing read all the posts. Don't make comments without the facts. I said on more than one post that I was not upset that they used the mower but to clean it after they used it. If you had seen the deck or anyone else you would understand. When I say I am overreacting I am talking about how they got mad at me because I asked(in a nice way with witnesses) them to clean what they got messy. Also the reason I posted the question was to get a national feedback and by far the mass majority of responses has been in my favor. I am not a big business by any means but in the the 12 years I have been a LCO I have payed this dealer aprox. 21K in equipment and service. So for you to say I need him more than he needs me most dealers would not be in business long with that philosophy. They would like a 100 more just like me. They overreacted. GO SOONERS!

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
HEY FOR ONE LAST TIME. I AM NOT MAD THEY CUT GRASS. JUST CLEAN IT UP AFTER THEY USE IT. IF people are reading all the posts they understand. They were mad at me for asking to clean it and my point was they got it dirty.

theyatesies
07-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey cantoo at least my wife's gyno cleans them after they have been used.

captken
07-06-2007, 11:51 PM
HEY FOR ONE LAST TIME. I AM NOT MAD THEY CUT GRASS. JUST CLEAN IT UP AFTER THEY USE IT. IF people are reading all the posts they understand. They were mad at me for asking to clean it and my point was they got it dirty.

You were raised VERY different that I was.

You burned your bridge behind you with this dealer. Try taking that machine in for service there....say when you really need it in and out...fast.

If I were your dealer, I'd make you wait.
What goes around comes around.
Life is full of give and take. You sound like you are one of the "I only take" kinda guy.
Mowers get dirty, thats what happens when you use one. So what? Cost you some time? Just wait! You'll need this dealer in the future...

I think you are a big CRY BABY:cry: grow up. I am glad I don't have to deal with picky people like you on a regular basis.

I bet your dealer thinks you are a REAL pita. Rightfully so, in my honest opinion. BTW, 5000 square feet that the dealer you said mowed is postage stamp size. You are unreal. 100X5 feet is 5000 square feet, or about 1 pass 100 feet long with my mower.

sincerely,
kenny

Scagguy
07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Didn't read all the posts on this thread, just your initial question. Heck yes, I think you are COMPLETELY over reacting.

That mower is designed to cut, what???TENS OF THOUSANDS if not hundreds of thousands of lawns that size in it's life expectancy. Do you clean the deck every time you mow a lawn? Why would you ask them to?

I bet those guys are thinking you are looking for anything to complaint about. It's just not a good way to continue the relationship. If you stay in business, you will probably need that dealer more than he needs you. What if got irritated enough to refuse your future business?

My recommendation: call that dealer and apologize for making a mountain out of a mole hill. No big deal. Just tell him you thought about it and you were in a bad mood when you carried on about this...he'll respect you for it.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Exactly. You wanted your mower repaired, they did that, then went and checked it out by mowing their grass and I'll bet engaging and disengaging the pto several times to make sure sure the problem was fixed. After all, any good dealer would do this to ensure against a comback for the same issue. If I were you, I'd buy the dealer lunch and tell him you were having a bad day.

captken
07-07-2007, 12:17 AM
If a auto mechanic left the interior of your pickup in deplorable condition and they didn't clean up after themselves how is this any different?

let me count the ways....

racer56
07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
I would look at it the other way. I would have been pleased they took the time to test it out so well. As far as it getting dirty well they kind of get that way :laugh: . Call them back and tell them you just had one of those days and try and let it go at that. My dealer can come take my mower any time he wants and use it anytime. Got to give abit to take abit. Have a few man I think you're just tired and hot :drinkup: .

Mr Priceless
07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
100X5 feet is 5000 square feet, or about 1 pass 100 feet long with my mower.

err...100 x 5 = 500 sqft...:waving:

theyatesies
07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
CAPTKEN-- You are so judgemental of me after reading a few posts. I was definitely raised different from you then.

captken
07-07-2007, 12:41 AM
err...100 x 5 = 500 sqft...:waving:

ER! I had a hard day, lol...

Thanks, Mr. Priceless,....still 5000 square feet is a small area. 0.11478420569329661 acre. to be exact.

An acre is 43,560 square feet.

This thread starter is blowing hot air in my opinion.

kenny

captken
07-07-2007, 12:43 AM
CAPTKEN-- You are so judgemental of me after reading a few posts. I was definitely raised different from you then.

Are you a resident?

I lived in Norman in the...early 80's

I still think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

fiveoboy01
07-07-2007, 12:45 AM
I dunno.

If they were legitimately testing it out, they're going to run it to be sure that it's working correctly. 5K square feet isn't really anything.

I really don't think I would have bitched about grass on or under the mower deck. I would have been glad it was fixed so I could get back to making some $.

theyatesies
07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Once again NOBODY was bitching! I guess you had to be there and see it.
To give you an idea the other owner came out with another employee and apologized for the previous owners actions. I'm still not mad I just wanted to here other LCO's views and opinions and I am amazed at how people can establish such strong opinions about people they have never met and was not even there and heard what had taken place.

theyatesies
07-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Its called Griffin Memorial now.

theyatesies
07-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey everybody thanks for the comments. I just wanted a head count of yes and no's.

Rough estimate: Overreacting YES=11 NO=22

JUST A TEST OF THE HUMAN MIND AND HOW IT WORKS.

MeadowsLawnCare
07-07-2007, 02:04 AM

You burned your bridge behind you with this dealer. Try taking that machine in for service there....say when you really need it in and out...fast.

Life is full of give and take. You sound like you are one of the "I only take" kinda guy.
Mowers get dirty, thats what happens when you use one. So what? Cost you some time? Just wait! You'll need this dealer in the future...

I think you are a big CRY BABY:cry: grow up. I am glad I don't have to deal with picky people like you on a regular basis.

I bet your dealer thinks you are a REAL pita. Rightfully so, in my honest opinion. BTW, 5000 square feet that the dealer you said mowed is postage stamp size. You are unreal. 100X5 feet is 5000 square feet, or about 1 pass 100 feet long with my mower.

sincerely,
kenny

Ever heard of customer service? If a customer is unhappy and a simple FREE expense (minus labor) makes them happy than i say do it. If you made me wait when i needed my next repair I would go to one of the other 35 dealers in the area. I don't care if its rediculous to ask to have a mower returned in the conditon you brought it to them in, if the customer asks for it, you do it. I had my mercedes in the shop a couple months ago for brakes. Took it in dirty as hell and the interior was dirty too. I got it back like the day I drove it off the lot completly clean. Thats customer service, and thats why I spend 10% more to take it to the dealer than some ****** doing it.

willietd2
07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
No biggie to me....your mower is on their property as I see it. They didn't beg you to bring your mower over to their shop to be fixed.

Whether its 4K sq. feet or 4 acres....these mowers are built for MOWING!! 4K square feet isn't going to hurt your mower & im sure your mower gets a little more grass built on it from doing your weekly lawns then on their little piece of the pie.

I will remember that the next time someone brings ther wife or girlfriend on my property, whether she is 90 pounds or 150 pounds her ass is made for riding.. later yall

walker/redmax
07-07-2007, 06:31 PM

sincerely,
kenny

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!:hammerhead:

LindblomRJ
07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
let me count the ways....

Start counting then.

I would like to hear this.

captken
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Start counting then.

I would like to hear this.

Well, the interior of a pickup is not the same as the underside of a mower deck.

your call.

LindblomRJ
07-07-2007, 10:19 PM
A pickup and mower are both nessessary pieces of equipment to do business. You would expect your vehicle or mower to be ready to go without a mess or deck that was recenlty used and.

If you did mow your lot with the mower - that doesn't bother me. But what would it take to clean up after yourself? 5 minutes at the max.

captken
07-07-2007, 10:48 PM
A pickup and mower are both nessessary pieces of equipment to do business. You would expect your vehicle or mower to be ready to go without a mess or deck that was recenlty used and.

If you did mow your lot with the mower - that doesn't bother me. But what would it take to clean up after yourself? 5 minutes at the max.

Some guys just don't have a clue when dealing with other people.

Life is fragile.

We depend on our dealers, the dealers depends on us. Its give and take.

What don't you understand? Are you callous?

The dealer that you deal with gets you in and out fast. At least mine does, that is because I respect him, and he respects me. We have a sucessful business relationship. I spend lots of money with my dealer, he spends lots of time taking care of my needs.

I think the original poster might need some help in interpersonal relationships, maybe you do as well. My opinion.

If the dealer wants to use it to mow around his shop so what? What's the problem?

Maybe thats the reason so many of you are failing in your business, [your outlook]
The it's all about me mentality that I see all too often.

btw, the spell check feature is free and easy to use, kenny.