PDA

View Full Version : What's the best system to use for billing someone?

Novaowner
07-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I have a customer who asked me to bill her monthly. I dont' have a system set up yet, because I've just started this year and don't have many customers. How have some of you old timers set up a billing system? Does anyone have a sample bill I could use for reference? Thanks.

MASSIF
07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Quickbooks! Works the best for us. It allows you to track a ton of information as well. You can pull up any client at any time and see where they are in their billing/payments.

Love it.

MASSIF

PlatinumLandCon
07-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Quickbooks PRO

NEVER use EasyStart. Its sooo primative and a waste of time. I have no opinion of using Premier, but I feel its too expensive and advanced for a new guy like yourself (and myself to tell you the truth!).

Guzman Properties
07-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Quickbooks works for me perfectly. Check your local county college for night classes during the winter. They offer classes and how to use the software.

lawnpro724
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Been using QuickBooks Pro since 98 without any problems at all. I would highly reccomend it

wooley99
07-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I haven't bought Quickbooks Pro yet since I only have two clients so far that I bill monthly. I will, but in the meantime I took the MS Word invoice template that comes with the software or free on the MS site and modified/customized it for a quote or bill. I just have to remember to change the invoice #, cust. #, etc that real software does for you.

It works for now but I get get more organized, computerized and centralized.

fiveoboy01
07-06-2007, 04:47 PM
MyInvoices and Estimates Deluxe or Pro version from Avanquest Software.

Create invoices, and do a whole lot more. Very affordable at 30-50 bucks for the software.

Wells
07-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I have a customer who asked me to bill her monthly. I dont' have a system set up yet, because I've just started this year and don't have many customers. How have some of you old timers set up a billing system? Does anyone have a sample bill I could use for reference? Thanks.

If you had alot customers that you needed to create invoices for each month then I would recomend Quickbooks but since you only have one client that you are needing to bill then I would just use a invoice template in Word or Excel. I use to do all of my billing that way until I had enough clients to justify purchasing Quick books.
The invoice templates for Word and Excel can be found at:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/results.aspx?qu=invoice&av=TPL000

bohiaa
07-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Louisville slugger

CrimsonLCS
07-07-2007, 01:41 AM
We us the software from here.. Gopher works great

Frosty03
07-07-2007, 04:23 AM
I do it in the field. I went to a printing store, had invoices made up with my info. I then use the old method of using a pen while on the jobsite to fill out the invoice with the charges. Takes less than a minute and I leave the invoice on the door.

No stamps unless it is a 2nd address billing and then I mail those. When the checks come in, I stamp PAID on the invoice and write the check number on it.

Why? I can create any invoice I want while away from the computer. I tried Gopher, but I needed to invoice a LOT of jobs that come up on-the-spot. D

Do the job, hand them the bill, get the money then or let them mail it.

I've also got a good cpa. It is more cost-effective for my time to pay them to do the books.

Figure out the time you are spending on the computer and charge yourself your hourly rate for time spent. You will see what I mean.

Novaowner
07-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks for all the replies!!

maintenanceguy
07-07-2007, 04:35 PM
With only two clients, you probably don't need to computerize but I'll also recommenc Quickbooks.

I had a small construction company several years ago. We did all our bookeeping manually. My wife was tired of balancing ledger pages and bought Quicken. She read the manual and set it up. We quickly realized that computerizing was the way to go and upgraded to Quickbooks.

As soon as she had the computer up and running, I started to understand where I was spending and making money. After two years of keeping manual ledgers, I had no idea what type of job made me money or what type of job cost me the most money. If you bother to set the program up properly, the reports a computer can generate will change the way you see your business.

Over the next few years, we got more computerized, tweeked, and tweeked the software again (thanks to my wife), and really had a system that could tell me if each project was performing as it should. As a result I changed a lot about how I was doing business, changed who I would and would not work for, changed the types of projects I went after, and was able to make more money doing less work.

SDNCLAWNCARE
07-07-2007, 04:41 PM
I use QuickBooks Online version. I don't have to worry about backing up my information. Keep all of my invoice's and receipts in a file cabinet. Tracks everything for me. $19.99 per month

LushGreenLawn
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm going to disagree with almost everyone here. Get Lawnpro Software. Its alot cheaper that Quickbooks (I can't believe everyone is advising you to go out and buy a $200 program for this). Lawnpro is around $75 which is expensive enough, however, it will let you do everything you want to do, and when you get more clients it will let you schedule and print route sheets, something quickbooks will not do.

I tried quickbooks, and hated having to use a seperate calander program for routing. Also, quickbooks would not let me enter in partial payments (It may by now, my version was from 2005).

I have around 50 clients and lawnpro works fine for me

Novaowner
07-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm going to disagree with almost everyone here. Get Lawnpro Software. Its alot cheaper that Quickbooks (I can't believe everyone is advising you to go out and buy a $200 program for this). Lawnpro is around $75 which is expensive enough, however, it will let you do everything you want to do, and when you get more clients it will let you schedule and print route sheets, something quickbooks will not do.

I tried quickbooks, and hated having to use a seperate calander program for routing. Also, quickbooks would not let me enter in partial payments (It may by now, my version was from 2005).

Where can I get Lawnpro? Thanks!!

oak1787
07-07-2007, 09:08 PM

I just got lawnpro software.. and it works great.. you should check that software out..

angelosantojoe1
07-08-2007, 12:42 AM
groundskeep pro v5.o

cpel2004
07-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Send your invoice out the same time each month. Bill in advance for your services.

befnme
07-08-2007, 01:02 AM
quickbooks pro is the best. you can print invoices and estimates or email them right from your quickbooks.

Rob.C
07-08-2007, 02:23 AM
when u get bigger use realgreen system, pretty exspensive, but works great, it will do everything for u.

agr682
07-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I bill all my customers monthly and I just bought Groundskeeper pro and it is great. It lest you estimate, print contracts, track expenses and all kinds of stuff. they will send you a demo version to try out with up to like 5 customers. I think you can also download the trial version.

Tim Wright
07-08-2007, 02:08 PM
We have qClip Classic & QB Pro. We will be upgrading Clip.

Tim