PDA

View Full Version : leaning to lay pavers

green1advantage
07-06-2007, 09:51 AM
if there any books somone could recomend.there is no one around to learn from,unless i feel like standing over there sholder while they do a project.dont think that will go over well .i get the big picture base, sand ,level it all compact .im just a do it right the first time person ,want to get it right
any sugestions would be of a great help
thanks

Edgewater
07-06-2007, 04:56 PM
This is my opinion.

Laying pavers is not all that hard. you excavate, tap, lay cloth, compact aggregate in lifts, level, screed bedding material and lay pavers.

You can figure out all of that on your own by doing a project for yourself or a relative. Watching someone do a job will only be a small help.
You need to practice on many jobs. Once you have the basics down (one or two jobs) then you will start to improve in all of the areas that make good installers stand out.

With time, your patterns will be more creative, cut better, color combos will bring out details, combination of textures and sixes will come into play. Those are things that you will not learn all in the first job.

So go out and get some pavers and work through a job and figue out the basics and go from there.

PatriotLandscape
07-06-2007, 08:04 PM
go buy 30 square feet and lay them a few times to get used to doing the different tasks.

get the install books from your local vendor they should have free install manuals with good details.

green1advantage
07-07-2007, 11:36 AM
thanks for the replys did start doing a small job here at home for the practice small retaining wall small spot of pavers .thank you for the help

waltero
07-07-2007, 02:24 PM
This is my opinion.

Laying pavers is not all that hard. you excavate, tap, lay cloth, compact aggregate in lifts, level, screed bedding material and lay pavers.

You can figure out all of that on your own by doing a project for yourself or a relative. Watching someone do a job will only be a small help.
You need to practice on many jobs. Once you have the basics down (one or two jobs) then you will start to improve in all of the areas that make good installers stand out.

With time, your patterns will be more creative, cut better, color combos will bring out details, combination of textures and sixes will come into play. Those are things that you will not learn all in the first job.

So go out and get some pavers and work through a job and figue out the basics and go from there.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Laying pavers isn't as easy as it sounds. Painting, Carpentry, Plumbing and electrical work doesn't sound all that hard either but I wouldn't suggest that someone go out and build a couple of houses until they get it right. I personally think that someone will do better learning under the instructions of a person that knows what they are doing. You can gain many years of experience of what works best and what doesn't. You may get to use different equipment and tools, all things you may not have access to on your own.

Go to the websites:
www.icpi.org
www.ephenry.com
www techo-bloc.com
www.pavetech.com

There you can read all the info that they have to offer. ICPI will have videos that you can watch as well as lots of documents to look at. Another good site will be www.pavingexpert.com , it is a English site but the info is still good. It is probably the best site for learning next to ICPI and they do offer a book that you can buy with all the info from the website in it. I haven't purchased the book but I would guess that if you were serious about learning the business it would be a great start. Most books are made for Homeowners and are not that informative.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Walter

green1advantage
07-08-2007, 12:39 PM
yes my goal is to learn to do the job right .iv always liked the idea of doing pavers and as iv been in this type of business longer iv come up with a plan to offer this as a service with practice.this all being due to its somthing i would enjoy doing and would be a well paying add on in our low paying market
where would be my best bet to find payers at a good cost ?
i will post some pic when i get somthing put to gether

AztlanLC
07-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Read as much as possible from reputable sites like waltero recommend it, take the ICPI test then start doing it in small scale, the most important thing is the base preparation, but the beauty and what customers will finally see is the final design, flow, color combinations, cuts, etc. which can only be achieved with lot's of practice.