PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Other LCO's

Desoto_Lawn_Care
07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Today while I was on the job, I ran across another LCO who was cutting across the street. Instead of giving him a dirty look I went over and introduced myself. We ended up talking for a little while and we shared a few laughs and mowing stories. He told me this is his first year in the business and he does it part time, just like me. So I told him "we gotta look out for each other" and we exchanged cards and shook hands. What about the rest of you? Do you look the other way or do you make friends with them? Has anybody ever gotten into an argument with another LCO??

charmill26
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
theres a couple that i talk to. my neighbor is solo and pretty much works nonstop so once in a while he'll have me help him out if he gets behind. i also give him work that i cant do like aerating and such. i tend to wave to other companys and get the same back or dirty looks once in a while

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Most of the LCO'S here are friendly,a wave high how ya doin,what's up kinda thing . Never got a dirty look thou.

stephenslawncare
07-06-2007, 07:12 PM
i always wave to other lco's and even the brickman guys (their pretty nice actually) Sometimes i'll get a dirty look but mostly i will get a nice wave or head nod back.:waving:

WJW Lawn
07-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I never get dirty looks...the problem is...most of em dont habla ingles.

LALawnboy
07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
i go out of my way to say hey or wave if they cut near me. and it helped out the other day....other guy was cutting the house right next to where i was cutting. he was working with another guy, so they were finished before i was. well to make a long story short, i'm trimming my client's backyard and it starts raining. i'm thinking "crap, it's gonna be hell to blow now," so i haul ass and finish the backyard. i come out to the front and the guy had blown up my yard for me before it started pouring. moral of the story: a lot of times it's worth it to just wave to another lco, never know when karma will help you out.

Sandgropher
07-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Everybody waves and has a chat at the tip/mower shop/on the street in fact most of my work comes from other LCO's in summer, if they get to busy they pass on my number to folks.

HOOLIE
07-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I've made many friends, and no enemies, over the years. Not sure why anybody would give dirty looks...I don't normally see this behavior amongst doctors, lawyers, or any other type of professional.

I DO watch out for those Aussie guys, they are very sneaky :laugh:

KrayzKajun
07-06-2007, 10:28 PM
i make friends with them, a solo guy in my neighbor hood always passes business on to me, i do the same if i get in over head.

jasdebcr
07-06-2007, 10:38 PM
for the most part the othe LCO's are nice and easy to get along with but i have gotten the finger twice this year. they must have done a bad job and i got the job HAHAHAHA

ExecutiveLawns
07-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Yea you always have to wave and be friendly, I would never want to burn a bridge before it is even built! You never know what that other guy can do for you or what you could do for him. I know about half a dozen or more LCO's in my area and we are always helping each other out whether it be letting borrow a piece of equipment/ employee or maybe they have more expertise in something than i have. I personally sub all of fertilizing out to a friend, I can trust him and his crew to not to stab me in the back because they are a small biz just like me an d they know we all have to look out for each other.

bohiaa
07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
i make friends with them, a solo guy in my neighbor hood always passes business on to me, i do the same if i get in over head.

Great thing to do. I borrowed a line trimmer form this guy I met a couple weeks ago, mine went belly up and I needed to finish the house I was on. he lent it to me no problem....

Skimastr105
07-06-2007, 11:05 PM
I try to always wave - why burn your bridges?

echeandia
07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
I always wave to other LCO's I see when I'm out and they wave back. Sometimes when I run across guys from a large operation I get the feeling they want me to hire them or offer them a partnership.

Poncho25
07-07-2007, 09:04 AM
I have and continue to make sure I say hello to the guys/gals who are working in the same area that I am. I feel that if you build a mutual respect towards one another they won't try to undercut you and steal your clients. I had one company try, but my client said no thanks, I enjoy getting what I pay for :) Made me feel good when he told me that. Other then that, I have become friendly with quite a few companys of solo guys or two man crews like myself in my area. Its great networking. One guy I know who is solo, has no one helping him, does almost 100 accounts a week...i have no idea how the hell he keeps up with that amount with zero help...god bless him!

Sandgropher
07-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Poncho you say hello to the guys/gals ? funny i have never said hello to a gal, i saw one once mowing, but i was driving past (she was an LCO )

Novaowner
07-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I always wave when passing another LCO. Most of the time they'll wave back.

Yesterday I went to give a customer an estimate for mowing and as I pulled into the cul de sac she lived in, there was another LCO with 2 employees sitting on the truck talking. As I passed, I waved, and I know they saw me. They never even acknowledged me or looked my way. I don't understand that way of thinking. I parked across from them, walked out and just ignored them, which is not me. I hate it when people see you wave and they just pretend you're not there. Lots of people in all walks of life like that though, and it is sad. :nono:

Desoto_Lawn_Care
07-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks everybody for all your input and advice. Does anybody have any really juicy stories though? Did you ever get into a pissing match or fist-fight with another LCO that lost an account to you??

sancho_man_orlando
07-08-2007, 12:50 AM
I just moved from the W. side of town over to the east side of town into a neighborhood where what appears to be a nice professional gentleman running a 70+ a week property route. Primarilly in this neighborhood.

Unbeknown to me I passed out 500 flyers the day before I moved in and I now have 13 customers... I picked up one today that told me in the past he used this other lco but didn't think too highly. This new customer said when I was cutting the other lco was up the street finishing up a neighbors property when I pulled up and the man was glaring at me when I was edging the sidewalk.

He just bought 2 new trucks, a boat and 2 jetski's. I wonder if my arrival is upsetting him?

swingset
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
I've talked to many since I started, all have been really friendly...even picked up some work from a couple which was great.

The other day I was next to a guy doing an adjoining lawn and saw him running back to his truck clutching his hand. When I turned around I saw he had opened up his palm really bad, bleeding all over and his first aid kit was a $5 set of bandaids. I shut my mower down and ran over and got my kit out and helped him clean and dress it (I have pressurized saline scrub wash just for stuff like this). He was really thankful and we talked a while before he headed off to the emergency care place to get stitched up, and since I had the time I told him I'd finish his yard for him. We exchanged cards and he promised to return the favor.

Desoto_Lawn_Care
07-09-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm really glad to hear stories like this too. It shows that we are all human beings and there really are some good LCO's out there. We are all hard-working people and I've never had a bad experience yet with another LCO. Some nasty looks, yes. But never anything severe. Just like another poster said, it's no different from being a doctor. We are all in this together and we have to look out for each other because this can be a tough business.

Lawnut101
07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I think that most guys are very nice. Most of the time, if your nice to them, they'll be nice to you. Like the others said, watch out for each other. Sometimes you may be too busy to do a job, and if you have a friend in another LCO, you can provide someone with another quality company to do their work. The other company may do the same for you sometime, especially if you offer services they don't.