PDA

View Full Version : Help on design

paul jr
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
You guys were so much help on another house i was trying to light up. So i have one more (just waiting to see if i get the other one). This one is my own and i would like to go all out on the front for now. I have to do the paver walkway from the porch to the driveway steps and plant stuff in the beds and there will be a tree going next to the steps to the driveway a type of cherry. I was thinking of 1 light on each column up lighting them a kichler 15384 with a NFL35w lamp or something (not sure) . I also want to light up the wall going down the driveway with a kichler 15395 flood with a wide spread lamp. The drive way is about 85 feet and not sure how many i would need for spacing or how far off the wall. At the pillar i will put a post light on the cap stone when i get it and I'm not sure what kind of fixture, yet still looking. I know i should get the landscaping down first but I'm just looking for ideas. What else would you guys light up and with what. I'm going to be using all kichler equipment. Ill put up some pic's let me know if you need different angle's you guys have been very helpful with all questions. THANKS:usflag:

paul jr
07-06-2007, 04:35 PM
The wall height goes from 3.6 ft down to 1.6ft and there's about 4.6ft of ground between the driveway and wall. I know i don't want to be to close to the driveway because of snow and the cars.

Pro-Scapes
07-06-2007, 04:56 PM
20w on thoes pillars otherwise it may look like a bunch of light sabers at night... Just a few quick ideas then choose what suits your taste.

Duck lights or a recessed light mounted into the wall then deck lights or you can take the caps off and dado em for a rope light.

3 soft lights mounted in the gutter perhaps over the porch to get the second story or you could uplight it with a closer light. Uplights in same fashion on the rest of the lower level as we discussed on the other home... pathlighting as you wish to show the pathway and seasonal color.

Whats the lighting like under the porch ? hopefully nice recessed lights you can dim out on a standard dimming switch.

paul jr
07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Funny about the light sabers, Yes 5 recessed lights under the porch with a dimmer. 20w lamps for the columns and what about the type of lamps and the wall you think deck lights. Do you think the 15396's wont look right. I'm just wondering. Ill get some pic's of the trees in the woods of to the right of the house i think there might be some things to light up. Do you think anything else should be lit up on the house?

Pro-Scapes
07-06-2007, 05:36 PM
maybe a 15064 bbr on the wall and some for the wall on the stair area??? drill straight thru it and dig ut on the other side being sure to drilll your hole big enough you can put a loop of wire behind the light or the wall so you can service if needed later.

We lit a flagstone wall light this and it was awsome. Very soft... very understated. I think the 15396 might be a poor choice for that wall along the driveway since they will be a target for vehicular lightslaughter. I would much preffer a light thats up out of the way in this application. the 15396 would probably also draw alot of attention the the wall instead of the home where it belongs.

It all depends on your taste and budget what you light. I would think about some of the techniques we discussed on the other home.

Chris J
07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
20w 15384 for the columns, 20-35w 15385 on the right side of the porch to illuminate the far right end of the home, one 15385 on each side of driveway to illuminate the garage side of the home, three 20w 15396 or similar in the gutter above the porch to illuminate 2nd story, one 20w 15396 or similar in gutter above garage to illuminate dormer above garage, deck sconce of your choice along wall (spaced every other tier) from steps to pillar, path lights of your choice in arches of planter beds around home foundation (just a few, if any at all). Possibly illuminate some of the trees along the property lines, but not the small tree in the center of the yard at the street. Illuminating this tree will bring the focus to it rather than the beautiful home behind it.
As a side note, you can not use a wide spread lamp with a 15395. The 15395 is the same fixture as the 15385 without the light shield. It is a T4 bi-pin lamp configuration that has it's own reflector. The only thing you can do is raise or lower the light level (wattage).

paul jr
07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the input i will look at all the suggestions and get something going soon. The reason why i ask about the 15396's which i wrote the wrong numbers in the beginning, is i have some of these fixtures already and the description for the the fixtures said for wide angle wall washing and low walls. So i was hoping that i could use them on my wall. But if you guys don't think i can. You guys know whats best and what looks right. Thanks for the help and if you have any other suggestions let me know and i hope to do this work with in 2 weeks. Next week I'm going to do the plants and stuff. Hey chris, the light in the gutters I can see how it would work and look light up. How do you mount the fixtuers in there? Thanks

paul jr
07-06-2007, 09:43 PM
:dizzy: Man i must be tired my spelling is horrible

Pro-Scapes
07-06-2007, 10:16 PM
If that wall was a bit taller and a tiered wall inside a planting bed your wideangle wall wash lights might be a good idea. However due to the proximity of the drive and the need only to show the grade change and that the wall is in fact there. I think defining this wall is important to keep people unfamiliar with your property from running into it.

As chris said leave that small tree dark. It will be shadowed by the home being lit.

Post some pics when its done. You got til monday :)

paul jr
07-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Sorry billy, I didn't mention that there is going to be landscaping in front of the wall going from the side of the steps to the column with nikko blue hydrangeas and purple cone flowers in separate groups all the way down. So you think the light would work in that mix with maybe 20w or 10w lamps not to bright it takes away from the house or do you think it wont light up right. The small tree in the front is getting torn out i think its junk. There are some trees of to the side though ill get some pic's tomorrow and maybe gets some ideas from you guys. THANKS

Pro-Scapes
07-07-2007, 02:21 AM
i think if you put a real short wall on the border of the driveway its an option but i think people will inadvertanly drive up in the beds. The best way for you to determine what looks right for you is to demo the lights since you already have it. I still say the scones or hockey pucks... perhaps you can find one that tosses the light out a bit further.

maybe a block border along the drive to match your existing wall but much shorter and then a rock garden or something ?? If it was me I would leave it turf... Grass grows back if someone hits it or extend your paving over.

Chris J
07-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the input i will look at all the suggestions and get something going soon. The reason why i ask about the 15396's which i wrote the wrong numbers in the beginning, is i have some of these fixtures already and the description for the the fixtures said for wide angle wall washing and low walls. So i was hoping that i could use them on my wall. But if you guys don't think i can. You guys know whats best and what looks right. Thanks for the help and if you have any other suggestions let me know and i hope to do this work with in 2 weeks. Next week I'm going to do the plants and stuff. Hey chris, the light in the gutters I can see how it would work and look light up. How do you mount the fixtuers in there? Thanks

You'll need a 15607 mounting bracket for each fixture. You will also probably have to fabricate a 90 degree elbow using 1/2" pvc to get the correct angle. Just try to mount in very low so it doesn't stick up above the gutter too much. Word of caution here: the washing of the light will graze across the roof shingles also, so you may have to play with the light a bit.
As far as your comment on the "right" way, there is no right or wrong way. Every one has their own opinion about landscape lighting. If you put the top 10 lighting contractors on the same job, you would probably get 10 completely different designs. This is your home, so you will have the opportunity to try different things over time. Get several ideas, then have a go at it with the plan you decide upon. Then sit back and be proud of your accomplishment. Good luck and happy lighting.

Pro-Scapes
07-07-2007, 10:31 AM
thats right on the money there about it being your own home and you will change or play with things... I am forever changing and playing with the lighting at our home. About to add 3 more spots when I get time because the ligustrums grew alot this year and going to try a new idea here before I would try it on a jobsite.

Also going to try soffit lighting here too. Perfect place to learn new techniques.

Chris J
07-07-2007, 08:26 PM
A very intelligent rep once told me this: just one light looks pretty. Two lights looks even better. If it is your own home, you can't lose. If it is a client's home, they won't know the difference unless an experienced designer comes along to show them the difference.
This made so much sense to me that I went home and slapped my wife. :rolleyes:

paul jr
07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I hear what you guys are saying. Its my own house and i can mess around a lot more with the lighting and always will be changing things. I'm just trying to get some good ideas and you guys have helped me with that. I want to start on this project soon, Its just so damn hot 90-95 right now and there's nobody in my area with good landscape lighting. I can drive to the store and count at least 10 house that are all lined up with solar lights. Some of the houses are really nice to. I don't know why you would have such a nice house with cheap fixtures. So i hope to get mine done and get some side work with the other houses$$$ See what happens....

Pro-Scapes
07-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Im sure someone in your area like Sean Curan or someone would be more than happy to go out in the 90 degree heat and install your lighting :)

I pray for days that are only 90 right now.