PDA

View Full Version : Bed liner on a trailer?

raksasas
07-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Would it be a good idea to get a trailers "whole" frame coated with bed liner?

I just bought a 5x10 trailer for $150(http://tinyurl.com/2l7bcl). The trailer was built in '97 and Everyone tells me that I got a hell of a deal on it after they have seen it. The wood deck needs to be replaced and the whole thing needs to be repainted at least.

I have been thinking instead of painting it why not get it coated with bed liner. Yes, I know it's going to cost way more then just getting it sandblasted and repainting it but I'm thinking I will never have to repaint it down the line again. Now everyone that I have talked to, mainly older gentleman, say it's a waste of money to bed coat it. But I'm only 25 and the trailer is already looking like that after 10 years why not bed coat it and never have to worry about painting it again.

mike lane lawn care
07-06-2007, 11:14 PM
you also have to think if it's worth it to coat a trialer that will in 7 or 8 years collapse from use, they do have a life expectancy.

ja2852
07-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. :drinkup:

mcwlandscaping
07-07-2007, 01:02 PM
you also have to think if it's worth it to coat a trialer that will in 7 or 8 years collapse from use, they do have a life expectancy.
What are you talking about? If you take care of your stuff it will last a long long time........bed lining a trailer is an awesome idea to protect it, yes it will cost you but the time and money it will save in the long run will be worth it.

Duncan90si
07-07-2007, 01:15 PM
That is a good deal on that trailer. I think it a good idea to use bed liner also. I have been considering doing this also to a 5'x8' trailer I just bought for $300 that needs a little paint. If you take care of it and don't try to haul something like a skid loader on it, it won't collapse. :hammerhead:

P.S. Those white wall tires are styling. j/k :)

mcwlandscaping
07-07-2007, 02:14 PM
i just noticed the link and thought of a couple of other things.....the first is that if you do coat it, it will look a lot better as well, once you replace the floorboards with new PT ones, and coat it, it will look a lot newer and better....the second thing would be that i would try to move that spare tire somewhere else as where it is now it takes up valuable cargo room.......

-mike-

LindblomRJ
07-07-2007, 02:14 PM
A trailer that is taken care of will last a long time. As far a bed liner material it is not slick, if you are going to use it for mulch and dirt or want your material to slide it would not be a good idea for the deck and sides.

It would seem to be good protection against corrosion.

ed2hess
07-07-2007, 06:44 PM
The wood would probably cost less than bed liner !

mcwlandscaping
07-07-2007, 07:13 PM
The wood would probably cost less than bed liner !
No doubt about that!! But the wood isn't going to be coated

craglawnmanor
07-10-2007, 01:16 AM
I think putting bedliner on a trailer could be a good thing.

I'm shopping for a car trailer (probably 7X18) with a steel floor, and I'm considering having the treadplate floor coated in a bedliner---having my truck bed lined with a Line-X style material last year was an excellent investment!:)

KS_Grasscutter
07-10-2007, 02:00 AM

That is about WRONG. I was at a friends house today, we were talking about his parent's lawn service trailer. It is like 30 years old. If you take care of your stuff, it will last a long time.

stroker51
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
It's a great idea, a guy I work with had the entire front, and all the frame rails and fenders coated on one of his trailers when he had it built, and took his hydro-seeder trailer to Line-X right out of the manufacturer, never got it painted just got the whole thing line-x'd. A life expectancy, are you kidding? how much is there to completely rebuild a trialer? 2 years ago one of our trailers got involved in a pretty bad wreck, sunday morning some kid driving home drunk fell asleep and crossed the centerline right into the fender and front tire. Car and trailer totaled, sheared the pin in the convert-a-ball right off, broke the spindle, fender, his teeth, and i don't remember what all. Bought it back from insurance for like $200 i think, put another grand in it, and had a brand new 16' 14K skid steer trailer. New axles, springs, lights, paint, ramps, wiring, you can keep a trailer going as long as you want.

LindblomRJ
07-10-2007, 10:48 PM

Its a lot longer than 7 or 8 years. Care and repairs are pretty simple too.